Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times

Advertisements

Hi and welcome to the Valley!
My family and I have lived in Arizona since 1985 and we love it. We moved out to the west side from Phoenix in 2001 and have found it to be a wonderful place for our family. The Southwest regional YMCA is great for kids...and we have found www.turningleafchurch.com (broken link) to be a great place to raise our 3 kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 27,731 times
We have lived in EMR for 2 years, and I would also agree that I have not see the punks at elliot market??? This is a very quiet and family friendly. We have 5 children, and love EMR

Old 11-25-2007, 04:32 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Hi,
We just moved to Goodyear (Palm Valley Phase 5) a couple of weeks ago. We really like it. Everything is very clean and orderly. Traffic on the I-10 is a bit worse for my husband than we were expecting, but it isn't horrible. The builders out here have some great deals on houses/financing right now. We didn't look too hard, but it seemed difficult to buy an existing home for less than a new home. Of course, we have the challenges of doing something with the backyard, but got a much nicer house than we expected.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
[quote=Ponderosa;436570]I've lived in EMR for 10 years.

There is no pizza delivery, no Chinese food delivery and no fast food anywhere. There is a small convenience store in EMR but it has a very limited selection, prices that border on criminal, and is full of punks and loosers who live in a nearby trashy area called Rainbow Valley and pass through EMR on their way back home. There is a pizza joint that has takeout and lousy pizza, but decent subs. No delivery though. There are a couple of tiny "cafes" at the golf course and the resident's center that offer burgers. Other than that it's trip to town.

Wow can you possibly stereo type kids in rainbow valley any moro than that? I went to Estrella Foothills Highschool and i have seen more stuckup spoiled kids that spend every dime of the money that their parents give them on nothing but drugs. You have no idea what you are talking about. now im not saying that all kids that kive in estrelle are punks. but most of them are.and you are right some kids do hang out at Eliot Market. But you know what next time your there and see some kids hangin out why dont you go over and ask them where they live. dont make asumptions on people just cause of where they live. or where you think they live. im not saying rainbow valley kids are perfect cause no one is perfect. not even you sir.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
[quote=RBVCowBoy;3014791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've lived in EMR for 10 years.

There is no pizza delivery, no Chinese food delivery and no fast food anywhere. There is a small convenience store in EMR but it has a very limited selection, prices that border on criminal, and is full of punks and loosers who live in a nearby trashy area called Rainbow Valley and pass through EMR on their way back home. There is a pizza joint that has takeout and lousy pizza, but decent subs. No delivery though. There are a couple of tiny "cafes" at the golf course and the resident's center that offer burgers. Other than that it's trip to town.

Wow can you possibly stereo type kids in rainbow valley any moro than that? I went to Estrella Foothills Highschool and i have seen more stuckup spoiled kids that spend every dime of the money that their parents give them on nothing but drugs. You have no idea what you are talking about. now im not saying that all kids that kive in estrelle are punks. but most of them are.and you are right some kids do hang out at Eliot Market. But you know what next time your there and see some kids hangin out why dont you go over and ask them where they live. dont make asumptions on people just cause of where they live. or where you think they live. im not saying rainbow valley kids are perfect cause no one is perfect. not even you sir.
That is a very old post of mine you quoted so I had to go back and read it again. I didn't say a word about the kids in Rainbow Valley. I was referring mostly to the people from RBV who drive drunk over to Estrella in their blue-smoke belching trucks and old junkers to load up on more Bud Light. Not everyone from RBV fits the above description. There are some very nice homes and people living out there who like a little more elbow room. Nevertheless, I do believe that Keating's biggest mistake with Estrella was not building it as a gated community.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBVCowBoy View Post
Moderator cut: off topic. Remain courteous and helpful to other members. Please see CD Forum rules.

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 AM

26 posts, read 73,442 times
Quote:
..... and is full of punks and loosers who live in a nearby trashy area called Rainbow Valley and pass through EMR on their way back home. There is a pizza joint that has takeout and lousy pizza, but decent subs.

I saw this all happen over in Ahwatukee and the same congested fate awaits the now "discovered" EMR and Goodyear.

Just plan on paying for the enviable lifestyle with frustrating inconvenience.
I realize your original post is old, but you did say "full of punks and loosers". Most of the punks are children of EMR residents. You must believe they are punks because of the way they dress and they are under 18. They do tend to hang out at Elliot Market on occasion, but they do not harass customers and generally don't stay long. The fact is they are bored kids who have nothing to do. You see it in every town. It's not like it's gangs, 2-3 kids at a time. People move to EMR looking for a good place to raise kids, and lose sight of the fact that there isn't much for kids to do here. If you are at that awkward age of 12-16 or so, you have no car and are trapped here with little to do. There is the youth center, but that is pretty confining.

Yes, there is the occasional beer run from the trailer, but they come and go quickly. Not like they hang out. As said in another post there are $500k and up homes scattered among the trailers, so NOT ALL people living in RBV are losers.

An update, I'm guessing you are aware of. The "pizza joint" has turned into a pretty nice place with the new ownership, remodeling, and revamped menu. Also, the video store is closed for good.

Also, to those interested a new shopping area is to be built beginning this spring to include a Basha's grocery, Chase Bank, Walgreen's, and others. Maybe a place for the kids to hang out and perhaps relief for Ponderosa's "frustrating inconvenience". Which is odd you feel that way. It seems from your previous post you moved from Ahwatukee to EMR to escape traffic, yet bemoan the inconvenience of having a 10 minute drive WITH ALMOST NO TRAFFIC to get to a major shopping area.

As to the idea that EMR will have the traffic issues of Ahwatukee. Not likely. EMR and Goodyear are way ahead of the curve compared to the fiasco that Phoenix let be created in Ahwatukee. I used to have that fear myself, but with the new roads (Cotton Lane extension) going in and others planned, I doubt it will be anywhere near as bad as Ahwatukee.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamColt View Post
I realize your original post is old, but you did say "full of punks and loosers". Most of the punks are children of EMR residents. You must believe they are punks because of the way they dress and they are under 18. They do tend to hang out at Elliot Market on occasion, but they do not harass customers and generally don't stay long. The fact is they are bored kids who have nothing to do. You see it in every town. It's not like it's gangs, 2-3 kids at a time. People move to EMR looking for a good place to raise kids, and lose sight of the fact that there isn't much for kids to do here. If you are at that awkward age of 12-16 or so, you have no car and are trapped here with little to do. There is the youth center, but that is pretty confining.

Yes, there is the occasional beer run from the trailer, but they come and go quickly. Not like they hang out. As said in another post there are $500k and up homes scattered among the trailers, so NOT ALL people living in RBV are losers.

An update, I'm guessing you are aware of. The "pizza joint" has turned into a pretty nice place with the new ownership, remodeling, and revamped menu. Also, the video store is closed for good.

Also, to those interested a new shopping area is to be built beginning this spring to include a Basha's grocery, Chase Bank, Walgreen's, and others. Maybe a place for the kids to hang out and perhaps relief for Ponderosa's "frustrating inconvenience". Which is odd you feel that way. It seems from your previous post you moved from Ahwatukee to EMR to escape traffic, yet bemoan the inconvenience of having a 10 minute drive WITH ALMOST NO TRAFFIC to get to a major shopping area.

As to the idea that EMR will have the traffic issues of Ahwatukee. Not likely. EMR and Goodyear are way ahead of the curve compared to the fiasco that Phoenix let be created in Ahwatukee. I used to have that fear myself, but with the new roads (Cotton Lane extension) going in and others planned, I doubt it will be anywhere near as bad as Ahwatukee.
I'll say it for the last time, it is NOT the kids or the people who live in EMR that I don't like.

As for Estrella, I have said many good things about the place to others. Other than the location is an extreme corner of the metro area, I think it is one of the best places you can live in the valley. But the place is not perfect. There are problems now and there will be even more problems with growth. The 10 minute drive to I-10 will be 15, 20 minutes in a couple more years. Already Estrella Parkway is bumper to bumper (at speed) during rush hour and there are what - 50,000 more people supposed to live off that one road? And Goodyear has it figured out? Oh, my, you are delusional if you buy that. They are the same shills for the development community that every other city council in this metropolis is.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 AM

26 posts, read 73,442 times
Quote:
I'll say it for the last time, it is NOT the kids or the people who live in EMR that I don't like.

As for Estrella, I have said many good things about the place to others. Other than the location is an extreme corner of the metro area, I think it is one of the best places you can live in the valley. But the place is not perfect.

There are problems now and there will be even more problems with growth. And Goodyear has it figured out? Oh, my, you are delusional if you buy that. .
You said, "full of punks and loosers who live in a nearby trashy area called Rainbow Valley ". Punks are generally meant to be kids. What is your definition of punk? Did I imply you had a problem with the kids or people of EMR? I don't think so. I was trying to explain who the "punks" were in the Market, who you claimed to be from RBV.

You are right. Every place has it's own unique issues/problems. EMR and Goodyear are no exceptions.

I don't believe I am delusional regarding Goodyear and traffic. To refresh your memory, I said "EMR and Goodyear are way ahead of the curve compared to the fiasco that Phoenix let be created in Ahwatukee." As you are aware, Whether it is by the impetus of Goodyear or just dumb luck, the Cotton Lane extension is underway, there is Elliot to the west, Willis is underway to the south. There is much more in the general plan. Will traffic be problematic during build out? No doubt, but look at the general plan at build out and compare it to the current Ahwatukee with it's 60,000 + residents. I think you will see we will be in much better shape than them regarding traffic flow. Is traffic going to suck compared to when I moved out here in '99? You bet, but I knew it was coming eventually.

Perhaps a move to Tonopah is on the horizon. No traffic or punks there.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamColt View Post

Perhaps a move to Tonopah is on the horizon. No traffic or punks there.
LOL. No, I'm done moving trying to get away from the crowd. They just follow and when they find you they make it worse with the construction and the congestion than it would have been had you stayed put. I think that once Estrella builds the commericial and I can walk to the supermarket and the hardware store life will improve for me. If I ever move again, it's out of the madness of the city - any city - or its suburbs and to a smaller and a better place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area