Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times

Advertisements

Seriously, it seems like they are programmed to turn red as soon as they detect a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Goodyear is just as bad. Stop 30 cars so one coming the other way (or out of a shopping plaza) can go through after waiting about 3 seconds. they also have never heard of timing, so it's one after the other after the other.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM

59 posts, read 241,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Seriously, it seems like they are programmed to turn red as soon as they detect a car.
I agree, Gilbert seems to have their's programmed as well to inhibit the flow of traffic. How hard would it be to have all the N/S streets and all the W/E streets flow?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
I cant comment directly on this post, but I will say one thing, I LOVE the trailing green arrows!! Never have seen that before coming to AZ!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Not to change the subject...

But I like how in Gilbert the green left turn arrow is AFTER the green light. Every other city here has the green arrow before the green light... that just doesn't make sense!! When the light is green people are already out in the road ready to turn left when it is clear.. so if the green arrow is after then they can turn left and it is safer.. if it is before then the car is stuck in the middle of the road with a red light!!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
It's the same in Montreal- the left turn signal is generally following the green light (although it is indicated differently- there is no dedicated light with an arrow- instead the green light flashes quickly). I think that it's a good system that should be applied elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Not to change the subject...

But I like how in Gilbert the green left turn arrow is AFTER the green light. Every other city here has the green arrow before the green light... that just doesn't make sense!! When the light is green people are already out in the road ready to turn left when it is clear.. so if the green arrow is after then they can turn left and it is safer.. if it is before then the car is stuck in the middle of the road with a red light!!
Goodyear has lagging lefts, so does Scottsdale, I think. I agree with your analysis. Wish it were the same in all the cities.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
A neighbor was a city councilman and claimed that tax revenues actually increase if people have to stop frequently. He implied that while waiting for the light to change, it causes drivers to look around and notice stores, eateries, etc. that they might miss if zipping by. I'm not sure if he was full of it, but I did notice a taco shop in a strip mall while sitting at a red - a place I had driven by a hundred times and never noticed, but it became a fave place. So maybe there's some validity to the concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area