Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 12:48 PM

78 posts, read 270,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I don't think that's what they meant; I think they were saying that *right now* there isn't much relief here for people who are trying to get relief from some struggling Midwest cities.

It seemed to be more of a statement about the current financial state of the area here than about finding general happiness here if you're coming from the Midwest, but I could be wrong.
Yeah I would agree with that sentiment. You don't want to uproot your family and move to any new area right now unless you have a good job with a stable company lined up beforehand. (unless your from Detroit pretty much anywhere has better economic prospects than that area right now)

Last edited by awf82; 04-11-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM

88 posts, read 251,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Tell me about it! And Daly City was worse yet.

I lived in San Mateo ca. 1979 and damn near froze my butt off in any Peninsula city Belmont on north. Now for weird: San Carlos on down were more pleasant; perhaps due to being warmer/drier.
I lived in Belmont and San Bruno on up. I think around Belmont the peninsula gets wider, so you get shielded more from the wind

San Carlos on down was always way warmer. Belmont sometimes went either way. Pacifica, man, even when everyone else had heatwave they were cold.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post
Man, even here I can't avoid fascia. My now med student wife is always throwing out anatomical bits and other similarly interesting things about our bodies. Anyway, one can adapt to being comfortable in shorts in 70 degrees. On the other hand, 110 for a while is going to blow your ALTs. Adaptation has limits, after all.

There is typically wind, but again it depends to an extent on the neighborhood. The entire area, San Francisco included, is littered with microclimates. The Presidio will almost assuredly be colder (because of more wind and fog) than the Mission. If your overall point is it isn't pool lounging by the pool drinking crap beer weather, yeah, probably not.
However

SAN FRANCISCO RAINFALL MONTHLY PAGE

It really doesn't rain in the summer.

As for the money, like I said, we can bounce things off each other. You are correct that for much, much less money you can get a great big mchouse down here. Oddly, thats the only thing I've found cheaper since I've been here.

Anyway, to avoid total threadjacking, everyone has stuff they are into. I don't care about sitting by a pool getting a sunburn. Clearly, this is an awesome place for that. No matter how much all these other people come here and complain, you still like hanging out by the pool, be happy with that.
Also try salary.monster.com it is more specific and gives good comparisons.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Why do you hate AZ so much, seriously? I want to hear it.
Thank you for asking. I hate it because every two miles there is yet ANOTHER strip mall. This is the ONLY place in which I've lived where you actually have to ask...Is that on the SE, SW, NE, or NW corner? How ridiculous is that? This place is a bastion for strip malls, chain restaurants, and that is about it. On top of that, the ONLY lake to walk around is MAN-MADE. Yeehaw! No shore to go along with that and they even have to trot in fish to fill the man-made hole. I could go on, but those are my two biggest beefs.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
True, true. Kingman is pretty ideal for my lifestyle. But Phoenix isn't that bad from what I can tell either. You can be out of the city into the desert in what, 30 minutes depending on where you live? And if you live in Phoenix, you get all the benefits of living in an urban area as well (e.g., shopping and eating).

Also, not to be xenophobic or anything, but here I have neighbors that I socialize with. In the bay area, my neighbors were all immigrants of one form or another who only associated with their own kind, and considered me a nuisance.
Urban? You must be joking. This place is nothing more than one HUGE sprawling suburb. Maybe you were a nuisance, cannot comment.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
There are positives and negatives to both places. I moved to Phoenix from the Bay area, and it took a long time to get used to it. North Beach to The Olive Garden at MetroCenter is a big change. It grows on you. It would be a lot easier to have a quality lifestyle for a family in Phoenix.
I agree, if you have a family in Phoenix. However, North Beach beats this place hands down, in terms of everything interesting. Enjoy Olive Garden. Yikes. I don't.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Aside from the summer weather: SF has nothing that cannot be replicated in at least the Phx area.

And; needless to say, I would much rather live in (downtown) Kingman over any part of the SF Bay Area.
Oh pulease, you must be joking or deluded. What on earth can be replicated in Phoenix? Unless of course, you like strip malls and cannot recognize the difference between Mom and Pop's stores versus chains. Egads.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Wow, I could respond to any of these "yay, rah, rah" posts about the wonderfulness of Phoenix (as I barf), but it would take far too long.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:30 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Wow, I could respond to any of these "yay, rah, rah" posts about the wonderfulness of Phoenix (as I barf), but it would take far too long.
Oh, no... Seriously?

Really?

Another post by a disgruntled, dissatisfied Arizona-hater? How cliche'...

Waaaayy past time for this one to "move on" and get a new tune...

Ho HUM... ...:::YAAWWNN:::..... pardon me... while I doze off...

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Old 04-11-2009, 03:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Oh, no... Seriously?

Really?

Another post by a disgruntled, dissatisfied Arizona-hater? How cliche'...

Waaaayy past time for this one to "move on" and get a new tune...

Ho HUM... ...:::YAAWWNN:::..... pardon me... while I doze off...

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
Why do I have a feeling Movin on will still be here next year saying the same thing. We should take bets on this..who wants the over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area