Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 38,145 times

Advertisements

How is the diversity in South Tempe. My family and I are African American. In Surprise, it is great. Most of the couples here are mixed, is Tempe like that? Are the schools diverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Tempe is fairly diverse, and generally more liberal than several of the other suburbs. The university has a lot of influence on that, I think. I would not say that "all the couples are mixed", but it's not unusual here, either.

Someone just posted a link with demographics of Valley cities on another thread, I'll go see if I can find it for you.

(I can't copy the link for some reason. It is in a thread on the Phoenix page re: an interracial couple moving to Phx. Maybe someone can break through and post the link for you)

You can click on Arizona, and then select by city. That data (which is from the census) shows Tempe to be more diverse than Surprise.

I'd think you would see the same diversity in the schools as in the general population.

Last edited by observer53; 04-12-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Tempe is fairly diverse, and generally more liberal than several of the other suburbs. The university has a lot of influence on that, I think. I would not say that "all the couples are mixed", but it's not unusual here, either.

Someone just posted a link with demographics of Valley cities on another thread, I'll go see if I can find it for you.

(I can't copy the link for some reason. It is in a thread on the Phoenix page re: an interracial couple moving to Phx. Maybe someone can break through and post the link for you)

You can click on Arizona, and then select by city. That data (which is from the census) shows Tempe to be more diverse than Surprise.

I'd think you would see the same diversity in the schools as in the general population.

Not sure if you mean this one:
Arizona QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I would second that Tempe is considered more liberal than most or all of the other Valley cities.

Original Poster: I've not ridden this, but we have a new light rail that appears may help with your decision to on where to live. I know part of it runs near the ASU campus. Here's a map so you can check it out when you get down here:
http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...entions-NW.jpg

Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks, mikec34!

To the OP-- can't hurt to expand your search to 85282. In driving through part of that area this am, I was reminded that there are some nice neighborhoods south and southeast of the university. Broadmor Elementary is one of the, if not the, best elementary school in the district; a very good junior high is right across the street (on College, south of Broadeay).

Since you are here in the Valley already, you have the advantage of being able to come out here and look around, to get a feel for the area(s) in question.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 38,145 times
Definitely. I plan to spend the next week driving around the tempe area to get a feel for what every one is talking about. I care more about the high schools in the area because of my daughter. I definitely looking into the area around the Corona school. Anyone have another website to look for rental homes besides craigslist?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM

I did a google search on Tempe home rentals and didn't see a lot of other sites to check. I did see a few apt complexes with 3 bedroom units on www.move.com You might also look at the classifieds on www.azcentral.com , or pick up a copy of the newspaper (Sunday would be a good choice) and read the classifieds and other info in that section. There may be ads in the paper for agencies that help with home rentals. I'd swear there's a house in my area that's listed with an agency. I'll take a look at the sign.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 36,639 times
If a rental is listed in the MLS, it will be available via realtor.com which is searchable by zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area