Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arpaio has no law enforcement responsibility in his job description except in undeveloped county areas where no one but the rattlers would care about boom cars. Arpaio's real job is to run the jails, feed the inmates, see they get to and from court on time. He is but an inn-keeper. He does a poor job of that by most accounts preferring to use his police powers and his goons in grand-standing roundups of landscapers and bus boys. I guess if he thought harassing boom cars would add to his media image he would be doing that already.
I would have zero problem with LE 'harassing' boom car driver whether in South Phoenix or in the real South Phoenix AKA Ahwatukee

Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 AM

590 posts, read 556,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The police having more important things to do?

In NYC I've read of their Operation Silent Night campaigns, where they'll target a busy intersection at night, park their unmarked police cars, with plainclothed cops with their decimeters, and pull them over, right and left.

In the process, they end up apprehending a number of them with outstanding warrants.

Does this sound like a waste of policing time?

Crackdowns across the country:

State of Louisiana: $150 fine and loss of license for 30 days
Savannah, GA: Maximum fine of $1000 and 12 months in Jail
Milwaukee, WI: Boom car can be impounded after first offense
Lorain, OH: $385 fine/2nd offense: confiscation of stereo
East Chicago, IL: $2500 fine plus towing, impoundment and storage fees
Akron, OH: On the spot confiscation of stereo equipment
Buffalo, NY: Up to $1500 fine and 15 days in Jail. Considering an ordinance to penalize gas station and convenience stores for allowing boom cars in their parking lots.

So why isn't Phoenix with the toughest sheriff in America on this list?
Some of those penalties like the impound of the car with the first offense are overkill, but if it eliminates or significantly reduces this problem, then I'm all for it.

From what I read in this topic, it doesn't sound like anybody has done or doing anything so the problem has gotten out of hand. I know there are many laws in every city or municipality that address this issue, since drivers have to be aware of their surroundings especially when emergency vehicles are inroute to a situation, and when drivers of thumping boom cars can't hear other things around them, then obviously you'll have potentially dangerous situations.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Some of those penalties like the impound of the car with the first offense are overkill, but if it eliminates or significantly reduces this problem, then I'm all for it.

From what I read in this topic, it doesn't sound like anybody has done or doing anything so the problem has gotten out of hand. I know there are many laws in every city or municipality that address this issue, since drivers have to be aware of their surroundings especially when emergency vehicles are inroute to a situation, and when drivers of thumping boom cars can't hear other things around them, then obviously you'll have potentially dangerous situations.
I don't like them either, but I really don't hear it all that much. Mosty when I am getting gas. Here it seems to be hip hop or salsa. When I go to Oklahoma it's country or hip hop. I wonder if they boom Jesus-rock in the deep south.

As for the public safety issue, I am quite skeptical of your position. At any rate, cell phones are far worse and there is little effort (around here at least) to ban them.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
Arpaio has no law enforcement responsibility in his job description except in undeveloped county areas where no one but the rattlers would care about boom cars. Arpaio's real job is to run the jails, feed the inmates, see they get to and from court on time. He is but an inn-keeper. He does a poor job of that by most accounts preferring to use his police powers and his goons in grand-standing roundups of landscapers and bus boys. I guess if he thought harassing boom cars would add to his media image he would be doing that already.
That was exactly my thought when I saw the title to this thread.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post

I disagree about the first offence; that stated, subsequent violations-------------oh well.

In all fairness: loud music @ higher frequencies is not as annoying since it can be blocked-----------it is the bass notes that travel through walls, etc. that are the worst.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Well said.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Well said.
Thanks. I wish I hadn't called the deputies "goons" though. For sure there are some for whom that name would apply, but there are also others who have no use for the antics of their boss.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times
Quote:
Thanks. I wish I hadn't called the deputies "goons" though. For sure there are some for whom that name would apply, but there are also others who have no use for the antics of their boss.
true...he has a vote of no confidence from his own officers...

Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 PM

23,271 posts, read 29,133,463 times
Here, In Las Vegas, I was told we have a special noise patrol, armed with decimeters, for the Las Vegas Strip only, aimed at boom cars, to "protect" our tourist trade. Even those bicycle cops you see on the Strip can make these arrests, as I've talked to them personally.

I went to a police substation meeting once, to address this issue, and they told me if there's one in my neighborhood, I should try to get their license plate number, and their address, and if I called them with the info, they'd stop by that address to talk to them, which can be quite a challenge.

I do live in a townhouse complex where we have our own rules here and if we can get their license number and address, we issue a violation letter with a fine, and after three violation letters, they can be evicted.

I've got 5 years to retire, I got all excited about seeing Phoenix get a light rail system, with possibilities for expansion, but I was also curious to see how the purported toughest sheriff was handling boom cars down there, but now I'll put Phoenix on hold, for awhile, as a place to retire.

I had even thought about retiring in Latin America. Forget that! After a dozen trips through Central and South America, you'll hear boom cars thundering away from the Mexican border to the far end of Chile!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Add a paragraph

Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
I can't believe people take that clown seriously (Arpaio). If he were any kind of effective sheriff, he'd be going after the real crooks first instead of the soft targets. He's a coward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area