Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I can't believe people take that clown seriously (Arpaio). If he were any kind of effective sheriff, he'd be going after the real crooks first instead of the soft targets. He's a coward.
Nailing illegal alien drophouses does constitute real crime.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Nailing illegal alien drophouses does constitute real crime.
missing the point. Which crime is seriouser--smuggling illegals or armed robbery? In an ideal world, go after both. In the real world, take out the violent guys first.

My impression is that Arpaio goes after the easy targets for maximum publicity.

Kind of like Eliot Spitzer when he was AG in New York--he made his name nailing big financial corporations for practices which were accepted and only technically or potentially illegal. Meanwhile he seemingly ignored violent crime. Of course he was also seeing high priced whores on the side. Who knows what skeletons Arpaio has in his closet.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
missing the point. Which crime is seriouser--smuggling illegals or armed robbery? In an ideal world, go after both. In the real world, take out the violent guys first.

My impression is that Arpaio goes after the easy targets for maximum publicity.

Kind of like Eliot Spitzer when he was AG in New York--he made his name nailing big financial corporations for practices which were accepted and only technically or potentially illegal. Meanwhile he seemingly ignored violent crime. Of course he was also seeing high priced whores on the side. Who knows what skeletons Arpaio has in his closet.
Yes, but the sheriff has no real responsibility outside of the city limits. As I said earlier, the county sheriff's main role in the state is running a jail and serving warrants. Every city has police forces and, while it is legal to do so, they rarely enforce laws in others' jurisdictions. Even the sheriff follows this except in cases where he can embarrass officials with whom he has had public disagreements. In those cases, he pretty much limits himself to activities directed against illegal immigration.

If an armed robbery takes place in the unincorporated area of the county, the sheriff would respond. The "problem" is that almost all of the built up area in Maricopa County is within the limits of one city or another, so city police forces handle most crimes.

Arpaio has built a reputation for himself that exceeds his constitutional and traditional role using the media as his tool. So you see questions like this thread asking what "he" is doing about this or that when he, in fact, has no responsibility in that area. Law enforcement here is done primarily by city police forces so it is proper to ask what they, not Arpaio, are doing about noise abatement. In either case, though, the answer is the same: not a helluva lot.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM

837 posts, read 2,336,627 times
I dont' like hearing it either, but at the same time I listen to my music somewhat loud, (no bass) but I turn it down when I get to a stop light. This is slippery slope legislation, who's to say somone won't think your Hanna Montanna is too loud while you're rocking with the kiddies in the mini-van and give YOU a ticket? I think most don't like it because they don't like RAP music and consider it "offensive". I think it's bullsh1t that you have problems with this, but super loud, thought killing, harley davidsons thundering by is just fine!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM

76 posts, read 212,879 times
Quote:
This is flawed logic. As Rudy Giuliani in NYC proved, you go after both the big and small. The small stuff - dubbed broken windows - almost always revealed criminals.

Example - I think 60+% of people jumping turnstyles in the subways (not paying) had warrants. Think about it. Those who engage in deviant behavior in small ways are more likely to do so in large ways.

So they ticketed smokers in the subway, small crimes, etc. And those who were caught usually had skeletons on their rap sheets.

Think about your neighborhood. Fix up your yard, broken windowns, clean the graffiti or the general sense of the area will attract people who revel in deviant behavior. Someone who tags like to tag where others tag (graffiti).

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 40,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The police having more important things to do?

In NYC I've read of their Operation Silent Night campaigns, where they'll target a busy intersection at night, park their unmarked police cars, with plainclothed cops with their decimeters, and pull them over, right and left.

In the process, they end up apprehending a number of them with outstanding warrants.

Does this sound like a waste of policing time?

Crackdowns across the country:

State of Louisiana: $150 fine and loss of license for 30 days
Savannah, GA: Maximum fine of $1000 and 12 months in Jail
Milwaukee, WI: Boom car can be impounded after first offense
Lorain, OH: $385 fine/2nd offense: confiscation of stereo
East Chicago, IL: $2500 fine plus towing, impoundment and storage fees
Akron, OH: On the spot confiscation of stereo equipment
Buffalo, NY: Up to $1500 fine and 15 days in Jail. Considering an ordinance to penalize gas station and convenience stores for allowing boom cars in their parking lots.

So why isn't Phoenix with the toughest sheriff in America on this list?
Good grief. Those are awfully extreme consequences. Jail time for playing your music too loud in your car? And how exactly is a convenience store or gas station owner supposed to keep boom cars out of his parking lot?

I'm no fan of boom cars (I never heard that term until now) but those laws are ridiculous. We already have 'disturbing the peace' laws. We don't need specific laws for every different type of disturbance. People are getting way too 'law happy', and every new law is a further erosion of freedom.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I can't stand Arpaio but I gotta say I'd tip my hat to him if he took a hard stance on this issue.
Perhaps Arpaio would be fearful for his life if he took a hard stance on this issue. Boom cars are often used to announce the receipt of a new drug shipment to a neighborhood. He'd be taking on, perhaps, dangerous drug cartel members.

More crackdowns on boom cars across the country:

TUCSON: $100 1st offense, then doubles each time for subsequent offenses.
Chicago, IL: $300 fine, 1st offense, then up to $1000
Danville, IL: $250 1st offense, 2nd offense: Impoundment of vehicle
Dodge City, KS: Up to $500 per violation and up to 30 days in Jail
Gulfport, MS: $622 up to $1000; jail time at $25/day to work off unpaid fine;
also has citizen complaint form
Auburn Hills, MI: $500 first offense
Jasper, FL: Fine up to $500, up to 60 days in jail or both

I understand that Arpaio is limited in what he can do, but is he prevented from speaking out on this topic to arouse the citizens of Phoenix?

And for all boom car drivers, if you're doing a cross-country trip, your criminality may be overlooked in your own community, but not so in the cities, counties and state you travel through.

And disconnect that car alarm if you're going into New York City. They are now illegal there. Perhaps these useless devices will be banned, one day, coast to coast.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 78,050 times
Default boom cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieaz62 View Post
I'm no fan of boom cars (I never heard that term until now) but those laws are ridiculous. We already have 'disturbing the peace' laws. We don't need specific laws for every different type of disturbance. People are getting way too 'law happy', and every new law is a further erosion of freedom.
I live on the corner of a major (and semi-major) street in N Central Phx. It seems there is at least one of these bass thumping morons at every other stop light revolution. So I get to 'enjoy' it all day long. These fools don't seem to understand (or care) that it's still a residential street. As anti-gov as I am, I would applaud, wholeheartedly, a crackdown on this public nuisance.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNYC View Post
This is flawed logic. As Rudy Giuliani in NYC proved, you go after both the big and small. The small stuff - dubbed broken windows - almost always revealed criminals.

Example - I think 60+% of people jumping turnstyles in the subways (not paying) had warrants. Think about it. Those who engage in deviant behavior in small ways are more likely to do so in large ways.

So they ticketed smokers in the subway, small crimes, etc. And those who were caught usually had skeletons on their rap sheets.

Think about your neighborhood. Fix up your yard, broken windowns, clean the graffiti or the general sense of the area will attract people who revel in deviant behavior. Someone who tags like to tag where others tag (graffiti).
So very true.

Lowlifes tend to freak out when confronted with decent enclaves; at first they try to cause damage (which is quickly repaired) but after a while said criminals usually leave with their tails between their legs since they were psychologically slapped down.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 AM

682 posts, read 1,580,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see they're cracking down all over the country on these loud, thumping boom cars (sometimes referred to as Noise Terrorists) and I was wondering how Arapio deals with them in Phoenix along with loud motorcycles?

I read that in Oregon, there's a $1500 fine in place for boom cars.
I don't know if that's true, but if it is, it isn't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area