Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times

Advertisements

Was gonna post this in the "Heat" thread going on, but decided to start new.

I know its not unheard of for T-Storms to form in the mountains east/south this time of year, but Im here in Casa Grande and its actually CLOUDY outside! Of course we are just getting the drift clouds as the storms southeast of us dissipate, and wont get any rain, but does seem a little early to even get that?!

This morning in my backyard felt a little more like FL than AZ with the moist breeze from the east. Once the heat really kicked in though that dissipated somewhat.

Also the lightning map shows alot of activity east of us here and down southeast of Tucson. With lack of rain of late, wont be surprised to see some new fires starting up that way.

BUT, was nice to know that someday soon it will monsoon here too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

I know its not unheard of for T-Storms to form in the mountains east/south this time of year, but Im here in Casa Grande and its actually CLOUDY outside! Of course we are just getting the drift clouds as the storms southeast of us dissipate, and wont get any rain, but does seem a little early to even get that?!

This morning in my backyard felt a little more like FL than AZ with the moist breeze from the east. Once the heat really kicked in though that dissipated somewhat.

Also the lightning map shows alot of activity east of us here and down southeast of Tucson. With lack of rain of late, wont be surprised to see some new fires starting up that way.

You might get wet! Tucson has a 30% chance last I looked. I can see the clouds from my house. Looks like July (doesn't feel like it though )

Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

Hopefully the clouds and rain stay south of town!!! Ugh, I'd hate for it to rain here and be all humid. I'd rather suffer only on those rare occasions in July, August, and the first half of September. Is 10-14% humidity humid?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Just south of you in Red Rock and we're getting a 3 inch rain right now. You know, one of those storms where every drop of rain is about 3 inches apart.

They did have to shut down the pool though because of thunder and lightning. Kind of strange how the storm cells are popping up just like they do during the monsoon.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Just south of you in Red Rock and we're getting a 3 inch rain right now. You know, one of those storms where every drop of rain is about 3 inches apart.

They did have to shut down the pool though because of thunder and lightning. Kind of strange how the storm cells are popping up just like they do during the monsoon.
Well, is it cooling things down or just making things humid...I do remember last May/early June when the temps where in the 70's for highs and it was damp and rainy. It was interesting and different I guess.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Its not a monsoon. A monsoon develops in the high country/White Mountains and crashes into the valley at sundown. traditionally its 3 consecutive days of 55+ dew points. So no monsoons til July sorry.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Oh come on! Weather like that makes me want to go to my favorite pub and get a cold 20 oz Dos Equis and watch baseball! I may be sitting out this monsoon this summer since I have travel plans from LA to other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Hopefully the clouds and rain stay south of town!!! Ugh, I'd hate for it to rain here and be all humid. I'd rather suffer only on those rare occasions in July, August, and the first half of September. Is 10-14% humidity humid?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
Its not a monsoon. A monsoon develops in the high country/White Mountains and crashes into the valley at sundown. traditionally its 3 consecutive days of 55+ dew points. So no monsoons til July sorry.
Kind of AZnative: I think Monsoon refers to a seasonal shift in wind direction. During the non-monsoon season the wind generally flows into Arizona from the west, north-west. During the Monsoon season more "tropical" flows come in from Mexico, hence wind coming in from the South, South-east. The Monsoon season officially begins June 15 and ends September 30. The old rules did make us wait for 3 consecutive days of dew point readings of at least 55 degrees. That is no longer the case as the season now has firm dates of starting and ending.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Aznative and FC,

Yes, I know this is not the actual "monsoon", but todays weather down here has some of the same characteristics and it made for a "catchy" title to the thread. Mainly I was pointing out some interesting and from what I ve seen in the forecasts this week, somewhat unexpected weather this far off the mountains.

By the way, often times the monsoon season storms around here come in from the WEST (via the gulf of California), not always from the mountains.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Kind of AZnative: I think Monsoon refers to a seasonal shift in wind direction. During the non-monsoon season the wind generally flows into Arizona from the west, north-west. During the Monsoon season more "tropical" flows come in from Mexico, hence wind coming in from the South, South-east. The Monsoon season officially begins June 15 and ends September 30. The old rules did make us wait for 3 consecutive days of dew point readings of at least 55 degrees. That is no longer the case as the season now has firm dates of starting and ending.
I know that the monsoons is the seasonal shift in winds. Just giving an example what to look out for. and this isn't a monsoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area