Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,501 times

Advertisements

I post on here pretty often and am trying to make an important decision on college. I live just outside of Columbus, Ohio and will be starting this fall at an Ohio State branch campus (Main campus is getting wayyy too hard to get into, its ridiculous). After one year at a branch, if I keep my grades up I could transfer into main campus but am also seriously considering Arizona State. Im very familiar with Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe as my family and I have spent a few weeks there the past few years. Does anyone have any info on Arizona State that could help me? Is it a good school, what kind of rep does it have, do alot of the alum stay around the Valley? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,103 times
The school is well-known for some programs more than others. What is your major?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
I go to ASU, junior year, so hopefully I can help. I would NOT reccomend attending ASU if you are an out-of-state student unless if you are full ride scholarship (the only reason I go there). You'll be paying up the wazoo for out-of-state tuition, almost as much as a private school, and yet you'll be going to a mediocre, underfunded school.

ASU is kind of a cross between a traditional college and a commuter campus. Most people live in the dorms freshmen year and then move out to nearby apartment complexes after that. The school does not have very many activities to do, especially when considering that it is the largest campus in the nation! The extra-curricular activities revolve around two things: drinking, and religion (or both at the same time). Mill Avenue can be fun-- although its activities revolve around drinking-- and more drinking. The campus itself is pretty dead at night. By most people's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (or even 5th or 6th year), most students create schedules where they only have classes Tuesday and Thursday, and then work the rest of the week in a restaurant and hotel job-- jobs that high school dropouts can do. They spend more time working on their "job" than on their education. What a joke.

Also, the campus is ugly-- with brutalist-style architecture built in the '50s and 60s. Even the brand new dorms look like 1950s era project housing. Very little grass, very little shade. It doesn't even look like a traditional college. Overall, I'd say only come here if you are just dying to live in Phoenix and the desert climate. Don't come here for the school itself.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
I was on Campus last friday discussing things with a friend who works there and he advised buildings are coming down new ones going up. Sounds like they are trying to improve. He said it was like a square mile campus
Currently the whole area is in turmoil with light rail construction going on.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
I live near ASU and I will second the advice that ASU seems more like a commuter school then a real university experience. I walk through campus sometimes to visit a friend who is a grad student and it just doesn't seem like there are a lot of people walking around, at least compared to where I went to school. Seems like everyone drives to the school from apartments way off campus. I think its interesting that people don't seem to want to live close to school. The exact opposite of my college experience (Texas and Georgetown).

As far as academics, I know it has a party-school reputation. Some of the "students" I see look like real morons (sleeveless undershirts, baggy shorts, hats turned sideways, tattoos, etc). You don't see people walking around G-town or GW trying to look like K-Fed. But that is probably more a symptom of Phoenix in general. But, there are some good students at ASU as well. I know because my friend is one of them!

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,826 times
Default Fall 2007 in ASU

Hi, Guys
Recently accepted in a math/stats PhD program at ASU (Tempe)...would
you be willing to give advice on some near out of campus complex
apartments and some music connections (forums, bands, etc...). I play
blues harmonica and do intend to spend time improving my skills, play
with others and perhaps make some dough on the side...let me know what
you think...http://www.esnips.com/web/elghoul/
your help is greatly appreciated...Thanks.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

77 posts, read 276,582 times
Can anyone please tell me if ASU will waive their out of state tuition fee and what would have to be done to do so? My nephew is going to be a junior PA this coming year, and considering attending ASU for after he graduates. He is EXCEPTIONAL in school, and wants to pursue a degree in psychology. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am new to AZ myself. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,894 times
Getting in-state status as an out-of-state student is a very complicated and difficult process that typically yields little result. Long story short: it's not going to happen.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
I'm a USC graduate but recently completed a MBA at WP Carey, ASU has a great reputation even though jokes have been made about it in the past. USC used to have the same mediocre designation and known as the University of Spoiled Children with an average SAT score of 790 in the past. Now USC is a great school and an elite school. I remember in the 90's when Stanford used to mock USC students by "spelling" out the SAT average score of USC students. ASU NEVER had that bad of a reputation. Many of the programs at ASU are nationally ranked. All depends on what you are going for and wish to seek a career in.

The campus is one of the most maintained and well shaded I've seen. There is a ton of trees and grass on almost every inch of campus as mell as the malls and plazas. The buildings, although some may be old, are very well maintained and upkeep is among the best I've seen at many state schools. ASU is half commuter school. But which University outside of a few elites aren't? That shouldn't really be a factor in a decision to attend a school. It is in Tempe, which offers so much to do. Major league sports, spring training, clubing/bars of course, shopping, hiking, athletics, museums, trips to scenic areas of arizona, water sports, skiing trips to northern AZ and CO, and on and on. Drinking is an activity those that don't make an effort fall into on every college campus. Get involved and you won't have to drink like it seems vegaspilgrim did. Also, ASU used to be a top 10 party school but this designation has been dead since about 2003. The last time ASU made a party list in 10 ten was a while back. Some elite schools, like Univ of Texas, Penn State, and Tulane actually rank as bigger party schools than ASU:
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=top+party+s...s_for_20082009

Problem designating a school as a "party school:"
Quote:
So are these rankings accurate? In one sense, no. For one thing, what it means to "party" is subjective. The Princeton Review factors in Greek life in these rankings -- and yet, many people who have never set foot in a fraternity or a sorority may consider themselves partiers. However, considering that the rankings come from the opinions of a broad range of students, they certainly can provide prospective students with insight into what a school is like, including the level of partying.

Is the Party School Ranking Important?

It's safe to say that on any of these 20 college campuses, you can find plenty of parties. But one important thing to keep in mind: parties aren't the only things happening on these campuses. Almost all of these schools are large universities, which means that although there may be a heavy volume of partying, there's a heavy volume of other kinds of activities as well.

For example, according to The Princeton Review, the top-ranked party school University of Florida also has one of the best newspapers in the country. West Virginia University, which was the #1 party school in 2007, has one of the best college libraries. And the University of Texas, the #8 party school, is also ranked high for being in a great college town.

So if you're looking for a school with lots of partying -- or one where there's not -- how seriously should you take this party school rankings? Like all college rankings, the list can give you some helpful information about what to expect. But keep in mind that there's more to a school than one ranking, so make sure this ranking is supplemental to other information about the campus.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
ASU has been known as a party school for decades....will continue to be known that way for years to come....

its rep is improving, though.....traditionally, the UA has been known within the state as the more academic school and that rep continues, but ASU has many excellent departments.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area