Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Also, ASU used to be a top 10 party school but this designation has been dead since about 2003. The last time ASU made a party list in 10 ten was a while back. Some elite schools, like Univ of Texas, Penn State, and Tulane actually rank as bigger party schools than ASU:
Top American Party Schools for 2008-2009: University of Florida Tops Princeton Review's College Ranking | Suite101.com

Problem designating a school as a "party school:"
Fcorrales80 is really a professional at twisting words to make his point, even know he is usually (but not always) incorrect. ASU is a major party school. I used to party on Mill Avenue with college students all the the time. The statement he said above is completely false. Notice how he said since 2003, that is because he knows that ASU was voted the #1 party school in the nation in 2002. The next list was compiled in 2006 where as ASU was #3. On the most recent one he linked to, ASU was #15. Remember, this is out of all the state universities in the USA. The only reason it dropped at all is because the down turn has really hit the southwest area hard. The students do not have as much disposable income to party with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
ASU has been known as a party school for decades....will continue to be known that way for years to come....

its rep is improving, though.....traditionally, the UA has been known within the state as the more academic school and that rep continues, but ASU has many excellent departments.....
Yep, completely true. Most of the ASU students can easily drink me under the table.

Edit: I do not know if by UA, you actually mean U of A. If you mean U of A, they now number 5 on the list of party schools.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Fcorrales80 is really a professional at twisting words to make his point, even know he is usually (but not always) incorrect. ASU is a major party school. I used to party on Mill Avenue with college students all the the time. The statement he said above is completely false. Notice how he said since 2003, that is because he knows that ASU was voted the #1 party school in the nation in 2002. The next list was compiled in 2006 where as ASU was #3. On the most recent one he linked to, ASU was #15. Remember, this is out of all the state universities in the USA. The only reason it dropped at all is because the down turn has really hit the southwest area hard. The students do not have as much disposable income to party with.
I remember partying at USC? hmmmmm I think you can party at any college campus. And who cares? So you can't have fun in college? I don't get why partying at school is so bad? Not like they are doing it during class...notice everyone mentioned Mill Ave. when they include where the partying occurred. The only difference with USC, is we had to leave the ghetto and South Central L.A. to "party." I guess that would restrict USC from partying much around campus, LOL!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM

23 posts, read 69,000 times
I haven't seen the op around, but I'll add my two cents about ASU.

I've attended for over 4 years now (professional student status is almost attained), and I really enjoy the campus life. Mill is awesome, there are tons of things to do on campus and around the campus. Tempe really is a pretty good college town. You will not find much to complain about concerning campus life and the things to do around ASU. It's one of the most desirable colleges in the nation, in that respect. As far as academics are concerned, ASU's level of national respect differs wildly depending on the area of study you choose. For example, if you get a degree in english lit from ASU, no one is going to ooh and ah about how amazingly difficult and respected that is. But, if you graduate from the WP Carey school of business, or the college of law, or the Kronkite school, you are definitely going to get recognition for that because they are all fine, well-known, and respected colleges.

There are no bad colleges, as far as I know. I have never heard from anyone that there is a certain degree program that truly is bad through and through. And really, unless you're going Ivy League, you're going to get practically the same pay no matter what school you graduate from.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

222 posts, read 581,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I would NOT reccomend attending ASU if you are an out-of-state student unless if you are full ride scholarship (the only reason I go there). You'll be paying up the wazoo for out-of-state tuition, almost as much as a private school, and yet you'll be going to a mediocre, underfunded school.
I agree with price for out of state students, but I disagree that this is mediocre school. I knew some professors and they are very smart.
This it is very nice school inside of a big city, and it have some strong sides. Let's say Business school is very strong. What is ur major?
On a negative side it have issues with parking, and dorms (this is why you want to rent outside of campus). Too many religious people put their churches, mosques etc right around the campus. Their task is to catch your kids and put dogma in their brains instead of science. Well, it's everywhere in the US.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I agree with price for out of state students, but I disagree that this is mediocre school. I knew some professors and they are very smart.
This it is very nice school inside of a big city, and it have some strong sides. Let's say Business school is very strong. What is ur major?
On a negative side it have issues with parking, and dorms (this is why you want to rent outside of campus). Too many religious people put their churches, mosques etc right around the campus. Their task is to catch your kids and put dogma in their brains instead of science. Well, it's everywhere in the US.
As a member of one of those very churches, I dispute your characterization. We don't go out "catching" anyone, they come looking for us, either because they are already affiliated with our church at their home church, or because they are looking for a group of students to do other things with besides just go to church. The students at our church are a welcome part of our community, and it works both ways... they enjoy the support and friendship they get from us.

I joined this church many years ago when I was at ASU, and I guarantee, they did not come looking for me to "catch" me and fill me with "dogma".

Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM

222 posts, read 581,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As a member of one of those very churches, I dispute your characterization. We don't go out "catching" anyone, they come looking for us, either because they are already affiliated with our church at their home church, or because they are looking for a group of students to do other things with besides just go to church. The students at our church are a welcome part of our community, and it works both ways... they enjoy the support and friendship they get from us.
I joined this church many years ago when I was at ASU, and I guarantee, they did not come looking for me to "catch" me and fill me with "dogma".
Oh yea, go and say this ".." in the religious part of the forum. It's well known fact that if you teach something to younger person, even if it is complete delusion (like any religion) then they will remember and follow it until they die. Only minority able to break this hypnosis.
Religious organizations all over the world trying to "work" on younger people because it is guarantee money flow in the future. They don't say it open but it is a fact. Look movies "Jesus camp", "The Root of all Evil" they explain what is going on. So going back to ASU.. campus is under attacked by all kinds of proselytizers. And it is not good for education. Well, the same stuff happens in any other major school, so I can't blame ASU for it.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Oh yea, go and say this ".." in the religious part of the forum. It's well known fact that if you teach something to younger person, even if it is complete delusion (like any religion) then they will remember and follow it until they die. Only minority able to break this hypnosis.
Religious organizations all over the world trying to "work" on younger people because it is guarantee money flow in the future. They don't say it open but it is a fact. Look movies "Jesus camp", "The Root of all Evil" they explain what is going on. So going back to ASU.. campus is under attacked by all kinds of proselytizers. And it is not good for education. Well, the same stuff happens in any other major school, so I can't blame ASU for it.
Okay, let me get this straight. It was perfectly all right for you to say what you said on this thread (going off on religion in a thread about ASU), but if I'm going to drectly respond to your comments, I'm supposed to go somewhere else? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I suggest this thread go back to the actual topic. By your own admission, all this horrible religious activity is not limited to ASU.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Okay, let me get this straight. It was perfectly all right for you to say what you said on this thread (going off on religion in a thread about ASU), but if I'm going to drectly respond to your comments, I'm supposed to go somewhere else? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I suggest this thread go back to the actual topic. By your own admission, all this horrible religious activity is not limited to ASU.
LOL, don't let him get to you. There are like 2 chapels on campus and the mosque is in the city of Tempe, NEAR the campus but not on it. Big deal. There are plenty of organizations that aren't religious. Just someone trying to get a rise out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area