Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,538,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good God, at first I was wondering why in the world you'd want to buy coyotes since they're readily available all over the place and why there's "the" in front of the word.

Time to go to your room, Sierra.

I hope they get to stay. Hockey is the only sport I truly enjoy watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Time to go to your room, Sierra.
I've been in my room all day and I'm bored. Can't go to the room I want to!

Quote:
I hope they get to stay. Hockey is the only sport I truly enjoy watching.
OK, OK... already figured it's some sort of drying paint!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,304 times
Ok, I wasn't going to admit this sierraAZ, but when I first saw the thread I asked myself: "who sells coyotes!!!??? Then I said to myself, "oh, yeah, haha, the hockey team!" My first blonde moment in some time! You know that girl in the Cox cable commercial in response to the loss of the "Milwaukee rainforest" who says: "I personally feel it is due to global warmification," yeah, I felt like her!

Did former President George W. Bush ever use "global warmification" in a statement? Sounds like a word he would make up on the fly. Like the "internets."

Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Ok, I wasn't going to admit this sierraAZ, but when I first saw the thread I asked myself: "who sells coyotes!!!??? Then I said to myself, "oh, yeah, haha, the hockey team!" My first blonde moment in some time! You know that girl in the Cox cable commercial in response to the loss of the "Milwaukee rainforest" who says: "I personally feel it is due to global warmification," yeah, I felt like her!

Did former President George W. Bush ever use "global warmification" in a statement? Sounds like a word he would make up on the fly. Like the "internets."
Well, we appear to be in global freezification. W isn’t the only one coining words... Every day you hear on TV how "the temperatures are hot"...

Oh, I figured it's some team, but because I hate sports of any sort and the mania associated with them and I “know” nebulous I just felt like pulling her leg, that's all.

Of course, the word "coyotes" definitely has more than one popular meaning in AZ since that's also what the human smugglers across the border are also called.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,304 times
Very true sierra! I knew you were joking, but it just reminded me of my "blonde moment" after reading your post. Yes, maybe when they say "the temperatures are hot," they really mean the Mercury. LOL!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

467 posts, read 1,191,132 times
Quote:
You know what is funny... I always forget Phoenix has a hockey team...I mean this is the desert, hockey and ice skating are not staple sports in this town.

That said the Suns, Dbacks, and Cardinals will never have trouble getting one of Phoenix' or Arizona's billionaires to fork out money, IMO! LOL, but that not any one native Phoenix or Arizona billionaire is interested in the Coyotes is telling. I mean there is John Sperling, billionaire along with his son as owners of the Apollo Group, Bennett Dorrance who is native to Arizona and the heir to the Campbell's and Campbell's Soup empire, Bruce Halle owner of Discount Tire Company, Arturo Moreno (one of Arizona's handful of hispanic billionaires) who is part owner of the Phoenix Suns and was the founder/owner of Outdoor Systems before selling his company and becoming a majority shareholder and board member and also a Vietnam Vet (hats off to him).

Let's not forget about our "beloved" Bidwell family, LOL! They have actually owned the Cardinals since the 1930's when they were the Chicago Cardinals. The Bidwells are originally from Chicago but the family now is "old" Arizona. You know what is interesting about Chicago and Phoenix? They actually have a long history of-sorts together. For one, the Wrigley family (in Which Wrigley Field is named after and once owners of the Cubs) were actually residents of both cities. The famous Wrigley Mansion in the Biltmore Estates in Phoenix was built by the family as their primary residence and was completed in the 1920's.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten to mention John McCain and his lovely wife Cindy who is the Hensley & Co. heiress and Chairperson of the Board (It is the third largest Anheuser-Busch affiliate in the World). However, Cindy and her family are part owner's of the Diamondbacks.

I know the Colangelo's are probably not interested in rejoining the sports world after selling the Sun's to the current, not so savvy Robert Sarver; the Colangelo's brought us the Dback as well! The original owner of the Coyotes, Richard Burke, was also a savvy businessman like Colangelo and always found ways to keep the team afloat. Then he sold to Ellman/Moyes, and like Sarver the team is in the ****ter. One reason is that Moyes' primary fortune building machine was development; we all know what happened to that. Now he isn't on the billionaire list anymore. Still filthy rich, but not rich enough I guess.

Just a little Fun Phoenix Facts for you new comers. And since I would think anyone of these native Arizonans would help protect a hometown team. But like I said, it is hockey. It is sad but it isn't an Arizona tradition; I like that we have a hockey team however, and hope they stay.
Well, to be honest, Phoenix had hockey in town way before a lot of the major sports were in town. Back in the 1970's Phoenix had the Phoenix Roadrunners that played in the WHA (World Hockey Association)

If you want the team to stay, it's just a matter of you going to the box office and buying a ticket!

As for hockey in the state of Arizona, there is more organized hockey in the Phoenix Metro area then Chicago. I know, I live in both places and I manage an Ice Rink in Chicago.

Hockey is more organized in Phoenix then it is in Chicago!

Here's one thing that everyone in Pheonix needs to understand about the Coyotes.....

Once the team is gone....it's gone! We will never get an NHL team again. So I recommend people get off there you know whats and go buy tickets before they head out of town.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,893 times
Quote:

I'm not gonna lie thats exactly what I did, except I wasn't thinking animals, I was thinking cross the boarder coyotes. I even opened up and was scratching my head thinking wth are they talking about. It wasn't until I closed it, went back the next day and saw the second post that I realized what she meant.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
The Coyotes don't deserve to be in Phoenix. They should have never left Canada in the first place.
The Coyotes deserve to be in Phoenix, but not in Glendale. Putting that massive Westgate complex way out in the west Valley where it's appreciated very little was a huge mistake. The Cards should have gotten their own stadium in or near downtown Phoenix, and the Coyotes should have stayed downtown, or at least moved to Scottsdale.

A good share of the NHL fans live in the east Valley, but they are forced to commute a long distance to see any games. Ticket sales are low for many reasons, but I'm sure one reason is the location of the arena. Part of success in business is location, location, location!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:26 PM

132 posts, read 427,426 times
I think them moving over by the Westgate complex is killing them. I know when I'm in Phoenix I try and catch a Coyotes game, and every time I do, it's really sad how many people are in attendance. I feel like I'm one of their only fans - and I live in California!

I unfortunately haven't been able to follow the issues involving their staying too closely.. but I hope by the time I get there they'll still be around. Season tickets in the nosebleeds are so cheap. Can't beat that for 6 months worth of entertainment.

The Nasvhille Predators are in a much worse financial situation right now, so I think the Coyotes may be safe for another season or two. I just wish their fanbase would grow.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I think them moving over by the Westgate complex is killing them. I know when I'm in Phoenix I try and catch a Coyotes game, and every time I do, it's really sad how many people are in attendance. I feel like I'm one of their only fans - and I live in California!

I unfortunately haven't been able to follow the issues involving their staying too closely.. but I hope by the time I get there they'll still be around. Season tickets in the nosebleeds are so cheap. Can't beat that for 6 months worth of entertainment.

The Nasvhille Predators are in a much worse financial situation right now, so I think the Coyotes may be safe for another season or two. I just wish their fanbase would grow.
It completely hurt them. If the team was still in downtown with this type of facility, the attendance would be there. Most of the hockey fans live in the east valley whereas the west valley is known for it's retirement community aka sun city, sun city west etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area