Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 AM

294 posts, read 989,289 times

Advertisements

which areas of Arizona have the highest concentration of East Indians specifically punjabi? Are there any desi jams or bhangra parties? Does Phoenix have a little india? where could one catch a bollywood movie? Whats a good indian restaurant? Any gurdwara's near by? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
When I lived near Tatum and Bell in north Phoenix/Scottsdale, there was always a large concentration of middle-eastern people, but I have no idea about specific types of people.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
which areas of Arizona have the highest concentration of East Indians specifically punjabi? Are there any desi jams or bhangra parties? Does Phoenix have a little india? where could one catch a bollywood movie? Whats a good indian restaurant? Any gurdwara's near by? thanks in advance.
The Tempe cinemas show bollywood movies all the time:
The Tempe Cinemas
1825 E Elliot Rd
Tempe, AZ - 85284.
480-345-6461

Phoenix metro, Tucson, and Flagstaff have the highest concentration of East Indians...specifically punjabi.

Desi jams and bhangra parties are common at Sodhi Palace; I was told by a friend you should checkout azdesiscene.com...

Check out this site for more information: Sikh Religious Society of Arizona for Gurdwaras; there are more sites but this is a start.

Great Indian Restaurants:
Dhaba in Tempe, Bombay Spice in Phoenix, Royal Taj in Tempe, Star of India in Phoenix, Flavor of India in Phoenix, Dehli Palace in Tempe, Tandoori Times many locations, Pasand in Tempe, and Udupi Cafe in Tempe...these are the only restaurants I've been to however, there are many more...but I enjoy these.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM

Not sure if your into hookah or not, but there are a lot of great hookah lounges around Phoenix, lots with middle-eastern music/theming.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 AM

32 posts, read 155,484 times
areas with highest desi concentration are chandler and gilbert. intel has a huge presence in chandler (thats one of the three largest intel offices in the US).. ASU has a decent sized desi student population too so if u have friends you can attend cultural events there. but most desi activity is concentrated around chandler/gilbert/tempe
i used to live in nrth phx (around tatum blvd & bell rd) & there are many desi's there too, but most are IT folks who're on short term projects 9i think not sure though).. for bollywood movies check out tempe cinemas.. there's one huge grocery store in chandler, its actually a korean/chinese market which has lots of south asian stuff too..

Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
There is a large Indo-Pakistani population near Terrace and Lemon in Tempe about 2 miles E of ASU. Mostly students but still.............

Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 AM

Either way, there is a large population of brown people near Tatum and Bell, regardless of specific nationality.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Either way, there is a large population of brown people near Tatum and Bell, regardless of specific nationality.
Hispanics are brown, I suppose you think they are Middle Eastern too?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Are you serious?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Not always true..............I have personally met many a White Hispanic over the years.

Argentina is 97% White and '100%' Hispanic.

Back to E Indians: a few months ago I was talking with a couple of stereotypically 'brown Latina' looking women; come to find out-----------they were from India, their accents intrigued me hence my querying what language they were speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area