Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times

Advertisements

Since this post has been revived from 2012 I have to chime in with a recommendation for a place not known for their seafood. About a year ago my husband and I went to Texaz Grill on 16th St and Bethany Home Rd. I really wasn't expecting anything special or good. They are known for their specialty, Chicken fried steak, which I found quite tasty. I am not one to go for a heavy meal and the portion was so big I did take half of it home for lunch the next day. I also ordered the gravy on the side because they tend to put too much on the plate.

But the next time we went I ordered the catfish. You can order it fried with a buttermilk coating or grilled with a seasoned flour coating. The menu says you get two planks so again way too much food for me to eat in one sitting. I have to admit it is one of the best fried catfish I have tasted ever. My husband and I go there about once or twice a month now and just order one order of catfish to split. They don't mind and they don't charge extra. We usually order two non alcoholic drinks and an appetizer and the bill with tip comes to under $25. The service is always friendly but it is not always quick on the entree because this place is pretty small and is always packed no matter what night of the week we go so the kitchen is extremely busy.

They do have an all you can eat fish fry (cod) on Fridays and again the place is super packed. I also forgot to mention, they make their own in house tartar sauce and it is hands down the best I have ever tasted.

http://texazgrill.com/

I will also give the Codfather a thumbs up but I actually like their non fish menu items better, but the fish is still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM

159 posts, read 397,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post

They do have an all you can eat fish fry (cod) on Fridays and again the place is super packed. I also forgot to mention, they make their own in house tartar sauce and it is hands down the best I have ever tasted.

TEXAZ Grill | Serving American Food at a reasonable price |NE Corner of 16th St & Bethany Home Rd | Phoenix, AZ | 602-248-7827

I will also give the Codfather a thumbs up but I actually like their non fish menu items better, but the fish is still pretty good.
I would also recommend Texas Grill's fish, and have also had some pretty good fried fish at Rosie McCaffrey’s Irish Pub on east Camelback as well.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:38 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,150 times
Bringing this thread back yet again to ask if anyone has tried Ada's Fish Fry in Goodyear on Indian School? It's kind of tucked away in a corner and just opened in the past year. It has good reviews on Yelp, and since I've been meaning to get over to the Codfather EVERY time we've been down for the past few month and can't seem to get there, I thought I might try something a little closer to home.

Their reviews say they fly their fish in fresh twice a week. (TBH I would expect this for a strictly seafood restaurant in a metro area, but what do I know?)

By the time I heard of it, it was Sunday afternoon--closed Sundays; 'm leaving Monday afternoon. Might give it a shot for lunch on the way out of town...deep fried food from a restaurant I've never tried before, just prior to 5 hours on a plane? Sounds like a fantastic plan!!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I havent read through this entire thread, but Ive heard George & Dragon (English pub) off of Central has great fish n chips.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:45 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
There's a new place in Goodyear, Ada's fish fry, that flys in their fresh fish twice weekly. The onion rings were delicious!

Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Default Ada's is very good

I am at Ada's now. YUM! Just had the fresh seafood chowder and fish and chips/ onion rings. Lunch special is great deal.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I am at Ada's now. YUM! Just had the fresh seafood chowder and fish and chips/ onion rings. Lunch special is great deal.
Glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was quite good, but was surprised at how much my husband liked it (he isn't a big fish eater, but couldn't quit commenting on how much he liked it). My only complaint was that they didn't have cocktail sauce which I had in my Yelp review and the owner informed me that they do. I can't wait to go back and dip the fish and onion rings in cocktail sauce…..yummy!!!!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Yay! I was afraid Ada's would be a big let down. It's great to know I have a good option right in the neighborhood rather than driving 50 minutes for fish & chips. (But I would if I had to.) Thanks for the reviews!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
I really hope Ada's does well but one does have to wonder as they're tucked back in a corner of a newer shopping center. Right down the street from Centennial High School so I'd think they'd get some lunch business from teachers and such.

Staff was very nice and helpful and since we were there between lunch and dinner hours the chef/owner-partner came out and chatted with us. He was telling us about how when we came in he was right in the middle of breaking down (filleting) the fresh fish that was delivered and explained what fresh seafood they order in.
I highly suggest the spicy tartar sauce with the fish, just the right kick to go with the crispy light fish coating.

I've GOT to try the scallops next time... Love,love love scallops!
Montanama, I can promise you there will be no creepy crawly's or scorpions inside so you're safe there! ;-)

Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I really hope Ada's does well but one does have to wonder as they're tucked back in a corner of a newer shopping center. Right down the street from Centennial High School so I'd think they'd get some lunch business from teachers and such.

Staff was very nice and helpful and since we were there between lunch and dinner hours the chef/owner-partner came out and chatted with us. He was telling us about how when we came in he was right in the middle of breaking down (filleting) the fresh fish that was delivered and explained what fresh seafood they order in.
I highly suggest the spicy tartar sauce with the fish, just the right kick to go with the crispy light fish coating.

I've GOT to try the scallops next time... Love,love love scallops!
Montanama, I can promise you there will be no creepy crawly's or scorpions inside so you're safe there! ;-)
Of course not, Jimj. I'm told one "never" sees them in the area! (The sick truth is that I don't really care if I see them somewhere else. Anywhere else. Just not in MY house. I have eaten many a meal in a restaurant in NYC where I've either seen the vermin or had to assume they were there . Sick sick sick.)

It's the scallops I'm after straight away, then I'll try something else.

I did think the location was a little challenging for a new restaurant, but I'm not all that familiar with that particular area. I just think high visibility is key for a restaurant (so hard to get going and keep going even with a primo location). I hope they make it! Spread the word about Ada's so I don't have to drive across the valley for fish n chips, lol!

It's my first stop next trip down. I'm unreasonably excited about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area