Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times

Advertisements

OMG - do the folks answering my post really think that I am basing my views as to where we are/going in the macro on just a couple of busy restaraunts? If so, wow. I was merely using that as a very recent example of how things might be showing signs of improvement. In my subsequent post I mentioned a couple others. I could go on with more, but others could reasonably argue the points with negatives against them (as someone said other restaraunts closing etc).

But my main point is that the world is still going on...we may NEVER be back to the heyday of 2004-2006, and in many ways I hope we arent! But even if things in the macro economy stay at this level or even contract again somewhat, MOST of the people in this country, State, County, and Phoenix still have a job, a roof over there head they are somewhat satisfied with (although many peoples "investment" of the home will take a long time to pay off if ever - I ve always maintained whether you buy or rent, that money is to house you, not make you rich), and are still celebrating the holidays to some extent, falling in love, getting married, having children, coaching soccer and baseball and football (on that point now that the Cardinals are playing well we seem to not have a problem selling out UOP Stadium on Sundays at 50.00+ a ticket), shopping for clothes, and yes even eating out at restaraunts.

I acknowledged that there is some real suffering going on in some segments of our society....and I do feel badly for them. But to be so worried, to the point of warning others the worst is still ahead all the time, seems to me to be pointless and in some ways begets a self fulfilling prophecy.

Before you take the approach that I live in a fantasy world, DONT...I am not rich, drive a 4 year old Ford Taurus, and live in a modest, affordable home. BUT, even I feel comfortable enough to go out and enjoy myself with friends and family once in awhile.

Basically as in all things - evaluate where you are, examine the benefits and risks of a certain activity (even whether spending a little extra money at a restaraunt is worthwhile), and be comfortable with yourself. I (nor can anyone) cannot REALLY know what will happen tomorrow or next year, so you just have to do the best you can within your own comfort zone.

And to bring it back to the beginning, on many many fronts I am seeing people's comfort zone starting to expand again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Good times or bad, people still have to eat and chances are they will still go out and have some fun. Funny with the down economy Disneyland is still a busy place to visit. Some things still bring in the bucks from patrons either way. Also not everyone is hurting. Although we are not working in the Phoenix area, I have a great job that pays well in California. We seem to focus on the 10% or what ever the current number of unemployed is. Seems that if the number is 10% of workers are unemployed then 90% of workers are employed. In a normal economy an area would sustain a 3 to 4% unemployment rate. The need for some unemployed allow for a growing economy. As places grow and need additional staff members they can utilize the 3 to 4% of the nation that is normally unemployed. What that means is that although things are bad, they are not as bad as the media would have us believe. That is unless you are one of the 10% that are looking for a job. Those 90% of employed workers will still go out for dinner once in a while, or book a trip to a place like Disneyland.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Well, I'm not surprised Seattle is relatively high on the list. Like the others I've definitely noticed that restaurants seem to be busy more often and that the store parking lots are most definitely more crowded so folks apparently ARE out shopping (even before the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season).

Ken

Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Also not everyone is hurting. We seem to focus on the 10% or what ever the current number of unemployed is.
Thank you, I am very happy someone has said it. I've read through threads and see blanket statements such as, "We're all hurting," - "Who can really afford [this and that] anymore?!" Fact is, you are extremely correct, not everyone is hurting. I'm not - I have not changed the vacations we take, the extras like massages or getting my nails/hair done, donating to the local food bank, Christmas continues as normal, etc. - and know plenty of others who are still motoring along as usual as well. It gets a bit tiring seeing everyone assuming and lumping every individual in society as a whole into some "mass poverty."

Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Thank you, I am very happy someone has said it. I've read through threads and see blanket statements such as, "We're all hurting," - "Who can really afford [this and that] anymore?!" Fact is, you are extremely correct, not everyone is hurting. I'm not - I have not changed the vacations we take, the extras like massages or getting my nails/hair done, donating to the local food bank, Christmas continues as normal, etc. - and know plenty of others who are still motoring along as usual as well. It gets a bit tiring seeing everyone assuming and lumping every individual in society as a whole into some "mass poverty."
This is especially true of anyone who works in the healthcare field. Personally, I have had the same job for 3 years now, so the economy has not affected me either.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
All I know is I went up to P F Changs in Chandler last night for dinner - (As much as I love Casa Grande so far, one of the things we dont have yet are the little higher end restaraunts), and had an almost hour wait to get seated. Had the same experience last Sunday for brunch at our Mimi's here in CG (but only bout 20 mins). Makes me remember the world didnt really come to an end....

Yes base the US economy on a packed restaraunt...lol..they're packed down here in Flori-duh as well. Yet FL is out the bottom of this list, with both Orlando and Tampa at 85 and 96.

Like AZ the state of FL has a lot of retired people.

The restaraunts are packed here as well, means nothing in regards to unemployment and the economy.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,043 times
wowsers! Detroit is 98 (not surprisingly though)

Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times
US Consumer Confidence unexpectedly increases in November:

Consumer Confidence in U.S. Unexpectedly Increased (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

"The Conference Board’s confidence index increased to 49.5 from 48.7 the prior month. The New York-based Conference Board’s index, which focuses on the labor market and purchase plans, averaged 58 in 2008 and 103.4 in 2007. "

"The S&P/Case-Shiller home-price index of 20 U.S. cities increased 0.3 percent in September from the prior month on a seasonally adjusted basis after a 1.1 percent rise in August, the group said today in New York. The gauge fell 9.4 percent from September 2008, the smallest year-over-year decline since the end of 2007. " (Phoenix prices actually went UP 0.9 percent in the index)

I am NOT saying this means everything is great - merely broad indicators of my original premise that things "seem and feel" like they are getting a little better and that the world didnt collapse.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM

624 posts, read 1,247,022 times
I do not believe what any CNN news, magazines or newspapers have to say. They have an agenda to exaggerate. Haven't we had enough "breaking news" ? These sources prey on shock and fear. I would not put my faith in what these organizations spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area