Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 41,598 times

Advertisements

Oh noooooooo! Yeah right. If something like this was to happen then it would have been all over the news across the nation, expecially here in the Phoenix area.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is a possibility it is a scare tactic. I do not know if it is or not. Regardless, setting these inmates free would have a detrimental effect on the community.
Again, they aren't freeing any prisoners; they are considering private facilities. Also, this isn't new, Arizona and other states have been considering this option for years as it is done in other countries...prisoners would continue working; as in making plates; working fields (as they do now) to pay court ordered detention costs along with normal operating fees collected through the state.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
LVD...maybe stop and think that since your friend is suffering from the effects of this economy that he is disgruntled by the changes to his life and is making statements that are pure speculation, or speculation he has heard through the grapevine? Letting them all go free is as ludicrous as closing a Phoenix jail and letting them all loose. Even if space is an issue they will be transferred to another facility in another area if need be.
Unfortunately he is suffering because of the economy. But, if you add everything up, this certainly sounds plausible. He did consistently get overtime, which has been completely eliminated. He also used to get 4 ten hour days, now they mandated 5 eight hour days to save costs. He was extremely upset about this.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Phoenix told me that Arizona is in such a severe budget crisis, and they are going to be closing 3 prisons. He told me that they in turn are going to set all these inmates free. He works for the state as a prison guard himself, and he also told me now they are treating their long time employees like total crap now to get them to quit. They are doing this so they can hire new people at much less pay. They have already cut all his overtime, and now are making him work 5 days instead of 4 tens. He told me he is finally going to leave Arizona as he now hates it there. He also told me to never come back because Phoenix is sinking fast. I told him to come to Vegas, but he does not want to. He said he is moving to Texas. I would buy a gun if you have not done so yet, it is going to be total chaos in Phoenix in the very near future.
Does this mean we can all go out on crime sprees now and expect to be set free when the prisons close?? Sounds like fun!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Again, they aren't freeing any prisoners; they are considering private facilities. Also, this isn't new, Arizona and other states have been considering this option for years as it is done in other countries...prisoners would continue working; as in making plates; working fields (as they do now) to pay court ordered detention costs along with normal operating fees collected through the state.
I reread the link and video, and I see nothing about the juveniles being sent to private prisons. From what I read, it basically said they would do alternative forms of monitoring such as ankle bracelets.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Unfortunately he is suffering because of the economy. But, if you add everything up, this certainly sounds plausible. He did consistently get overtime, which has been completely eliminated. He also used to get 4 ten hour days, now they mandated 5 eight hour days to save costs. He was extremely upset about this.
I am sure he was upset because it cut into his well being and comfort zone he has had for years. In reality, if a lot more companies, etc., cut some hours and hired part-timers for a few shifts the ecomony might look up a little. He is also lucky he still has a job. If he has almost 15 years in, and has put in all this OT, I would bet there are still going to be extra shifts to be picked up,as someone always takes time off, but it may not be as much. I have never had a problem picking up extra hours anywhere I worked that offered them, if you want them. I think on the issue in general, the prisoners have the best deal going. They have a roof, food, job so to speak, and don't have to worry so much about that security ending and what is going on outside.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Original post helps identify why states want to have a seven-day waiting period for people to buy guns.

I can't think of any government agency or private business that hasn't cut back in the employee schedules, overtime, and made working conditions hell for those employees who have to pick up the slack. This is simply a sign of the times ~ things will change.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Phoenix told me that Arizona is in such a severe budget crisis, and they are going to be closing 3 prisons. He told me that they in turn are going to set all these inmates free. He works for the state as a prison guard himself, and he also told me now they are treating their long time employees like total crap now to get them to quit. They are doing this so they can hire new people at much less pay. They have already cut all his overtime, and now are making him work 5 days instead of 4 tens. He told me he is finally going to leave Arizona as he now hates it there. He also told me to never come back because Phoenix is sinking fast. I told him to come to Vegas, but he does not want to. He said he is moving to Texas. I would buy a gun if you have not done so yet, it is going to be total chaos in Phoenix in the very near future.
They said the same thing on the local news channel here. This state has SEVER budget problems--the worst in the country. In fact, its so bad the state is closing its rest areas along the freeways too, and cutting food stamps, libraries, road improvements, education and everything else. Let me relieve you of any doubts......PHOENIX IS SINKING FAST. REPORTS SAY PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY BEGINNING TO MOVE OUT AND GO TO OTHER STATES FOR BETTER OPPORTUNITIES. I MOVED HERE IN 2005 AND HATE IT HERE TOO. I AM MOVING TO WISCONSIN IN THE COMING MONTHS (I GREW UP IN THE MIDWEST). PHOENIX IS DEFINATELY IN A STATE OF CHAOS. Your friend is in their right mind 4 moving away.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,855 times
Quote:
Oh man I'm doing my best to get out of here when my lease expires next year. AZ is getting more and more f'd up every year. I like Vegas actually but I wanna get out of the desert if I'm gonna make a big move. San Diego

Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Sorry lvd. I see you (or a mod) renamed the thread title, but it was still done wrong. "It's" is a contraction. "Its" would be best for this sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area