Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Phoenix told me that Arizona is in such a severe budget crisis, and they are going to be closing 3 prisons. He told me that they in turn are going to set all these inmates free. He works for the state as a prison guard himself, and he also told me now they are treating their long time employees like total crap now to get them to quit. They are doing this so they can hire new people at much less pay. They have already cut all his overtime, and now are making him work 5 days instead of 4 tens. He told me he is finally going to leave Arizona as he now hates it there. He also told me to never come back because Phoenix is sinking fast. I told him to come to Vegas, but he does not want to. He said he is moving to Texas. I would buy a gun if you have not done so yet, it is going to be total chaos in Phoenix in the very near future.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 12-04-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: grammar LOL

Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM

652 posts, read 2,713,842 times
Default OMG, is Phoenix out of there mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Phoenix told me that Arizona is in such a severe budget crisis, and they are going to be closing 3 prisons. He told me that they in turn are going to set all these inmates free. He works for the state as a prison guard himself, and he also told me now they are treating their long time employees like total crap now to get them to quit. They are doing this so they can hire new people at much less pay. They have already cut all his overtime, and now are making him work 5 days instead of 4 tens. He told me he is finally going to leave Arizona as he now hates it there. He also told me to never come back because Phoenix is sinking fast. I told him to come to Vegas, but he does not want to. He said he is moving to Texas. I would buy a gun if you have not done so yet, it is going to be total chaos in Phoenix in the very near future.
Phoenix is not out of THEIR mind. The city of Phoenix has no power to close down prisons either.

First, prisons are run by state or federal governments, not cities (or counties), therefore, there is no "Phoenix Prison" (Arizona State Prison in Phoenix is run by ADOC, not the city of Phoenix). While I'm not involved in the Phoenix/Maricopa County penal system, I do have experience with other prisons (in Nevada), and I'm familiar with the legal system, and can tell you that prisons aren't just "shut down" and inmates freed when someone decides it's too expensive.

Like I said, I'm not intimately familiar with the Phoenix jails or Arizona prisons, but I will tell you that you that your allegations are unfounded and you need significantly more information before alleging conjecture like that.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't really recommend anyone in Phoenix to move to Las Vegas - Las Vegas is having the exact same budget problems based on the collapse of the housing market. If anything, Las Vegas is in worse shape because of how much of their economy is dependent upon tourism.

Here is a link for you:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM

45 posts, read 118,241 times
Quote:
Phoenix is not out of THEIR mind.
As far as I know Phoenix is not out of ITS mind

I don't actually know what the situation is with the prisons, but I imagine that if they are shutting anything down, there has to be more to it than "Alright everyone, you're free to go!"

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,260,352 times
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Phoenix told me that Arizona is in such a severe budget crisis, and they are going to be closing 3 prisons. He told me that they in turn are going to set all these inmates free.
Please substantiate this with evidence. I haven't lived in AZ long, I don't know anything about the prison system, nor do I have a law degree. What I do have is a little bit of common sense and intelligence. What you've proposed here makes no sense to me whatsoever and IMO is quite an asinine comment. I guess gov't has been known to do some stupid things at times but nonetheless, hearsay is not sufficient evidence for me to go load up on bullets and handguns.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
As far as I know Phoenix is not out of ITS mind
touchet

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Hey guys/gals, sorry my grammar is not perfect. Regardless, I am not making this up in any way. My friend has got his shifts changed, which has screwed him up since he has 4 kids, and a wife that works full time too. He also was getting tons of overtime regularly on which he depended on to pay his bills. His overtime has been completely eliminated. My buddy told me that 3 out of the 4 prisons run by the state are most likely going to be closed, unless something miraculous happens with the economy. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Hey guys/gals, sorry my grammar is not perfect.
It's OK, I've been called a grammar nazi before

Quote:
My friend has got his shifts changed, which has screwed him up since he has 4 kids, and a wife that works full time too. He also was getting tons of overtime regularly on which he depended on to pay his bills. His overtime has been completely eliminated.
Just an editorial, perhaps your friend shouldn't have overextended himself financially like that. Overtime is just that, overtime. You can't really RELY on it to always be there. Budget crisis or not, I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for him. He needs to live a more financially responsible lifestyle that is within his means.

Quote:
My buddy told me that 3 out of the 4 prisons run by the state are most likely going to be closed, unless something miraculous happens with the economy. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
"most likely" being closed it a lot different from "are going to be closing 3 prisons."

I think your friend may be overreacting, it is not likely that the state will close 75% of their prison locations without a contingency plan for those prisoners. I can guarantee you they won't just be released.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 PM

I have been searching azcentral, and I found something similar to what I said. I am not sure, but I think this is what my friend was referring too. I will ask him tomorrow and update everyone.

"Juveniles, staff and ultimately the public would be endangered,"

Potential cuts to state's juvenile jail facilities

Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,024,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
It's OK, I've been called a grammar nazi before

Just an editorial, perhaps your friend shouldn't have overextended himself financially like that. Overtime is just that, overtime. You can't really RELY on it to always be there. Budget crisis or not, I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for him. He needs to live a more financially responsible lifestyle that is within his means.

"most likely" being closed it a lot different from "are going to be closing 3 prisons."

I think your friend may be overreacting, it is not likely that the state will close 75% of their prison locations without a contingency plan for those prisoners. I can guarantee you they won't just be released.
Yeah I have some information on this; it is total BS. When we were discussing things on the "Florence" thread I mentioned having family that worked in admin and throughout the prison system, and nothing has changed.

If anything, prisons are about the only sound state run facilities because of the nature of their programs. Inmates work, pay the state for their "stays," and many prisons in Arizona are privately run and profitable. No prisons are closing, and no significant changes have been made to the system. Also, there are no prisons in Phoenix but there is one juvenile detention center in far north Phoenix...

Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I have been searching azcentral, and I found something similar to what I said. I am not sure, but I think this is what my friend was referring too. I will ask him tomorrow and update everyone.

"Juveniles, staff and ultimately the public would be endangered,"

Potential cuts to state's juvenile jail facilities
That article is regarding cuts with juvenile correction facilities, not state prisons. Juveniles represent a very small portion of the state's penal system.

Quote:
In fact, according to a letter from the Michael Branham, the Director of the Department of Juvenile Corrections, the state's 483 beds would be reduced to 142.
And it mentions that the cuts are merely a proposal.

Quote:
Laura Dillingham, a spokesperson for the Department of Juvenile corrections, emphasized that this is just a proposal -- "An exercise" submitted to Governor Janice Brewer when she asked each department to make 15% cuts, said Dillingham.
If that is what your friend is talking about, I don't think you'll need to "buy a gun if you have not done so yet" (although I already do pack heat :-p )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area