Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 PM

223 posts, read 596,711 times

Advertisements

One of the things that always strikes me when driving on Loop-101 in the Scottsdale area is the beautiful freeway decorations - landscaping, hardscaping, concrete wall decorations, and the bridges. It looks really great! How did they ever justify the cost of this - was it controversial at the time of building? The walls around Shea and Cactus are really great, and the landscaping is good all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Yes, it was controversial at the time... the city demanded that the freeway not be at ground level in that area, and then not just be a big concrete ditch running through the city.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,262 times
"How did they ever justify the cost of this"

Good question.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:13 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
It's a good idea that they did this. Some people in Phoenix have no idea how their freeways look in comparison to those around the country. Night and day difference when I got back in to Minneapolis to Duluth. Potholes, no freeway decorations, rust, everything just looking run down. Not so in Phoenix. Many kudos to whoever was involved in the planning of all that.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Actually, I just found a reference that the City paid for the artistic designs on the walls, not ADOT. Probably out of their City arts funds, if that was the case. What they most wanted from ADOT was the below ground construction, it would seem.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm certainly glad they did it.

Do they have drainage issues, given that it is sunken?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I'm certainly glad they did it.

Do they have drainage issues, given that it is sunken?
They would if it rained here.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
They would if it rained here.
Har Har ....

Everywhere you go in Phoenix, there are massive drainage ditches, and warnings on even the slightest dips saying 'do not enter when flooded' ... so I HAVE to believe they do actually get rain here sometimes! I've been here since last March and this past summer was a non-event in terms of rain!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
It's a good idea that they did this. Some people in Phoenix have no idea how their freeways look in comparison to those around the country. Night and day difference when I got back in to Minneapolis to Duluth. Potholes, no freeway decorations, rust, everything just looking run down. Not so in Phoenix. Many kudos to whoever was involved in the planning of all that.
I agree. I always loved that area and it was just nice to look at while driving down the freeway. The roads in general are just so nice in Phoenix compared to many other places. I sooo miss that.

The one thing I always thought was strange when I lived there, however, was how they made the sides all fancy pants but the center medians are just dirt and they're always filled with so much trash.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
So many people coming here from out of state cite "clean freeways" as this major asset to living here, if not the #1 thing they love about it here... and I don't really get it. When I'm able to move, this would be the LAST of my concerns.

I've been on bland freeways for long stretches in other states and just crank the radio up and buzz by without turning my neck once. When driving from point A to point B at 80mph+, I have little time to take in all the breathtaking art. Now think about this as part of your 9-5 grind daily commute, how long before you don't even give a crap anymore about concrete geckos, etc.?

Why not go the extra distance and decorate I-10 for those boring stretches between here and CA or maybe between here and Vegas too? Think of all the freeway gawkers we could attract!

I would rather the money was spent on extending the rail lines or doing something more productive for the city as a whole. Whats funny to me is all the opponents to light rail and other improvements to city infrastructure have no qualms with dropping multi-millions on freeway art. I think its time for a priority re-adjustment here. Use the inmates for trash pickup/weeding as usual and keep the roads free of potholes is all I ask.

Last edited by cmist; 01-04-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area