Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times

Advertisements

I had the privilege to take a one week vacation to San Francisco between Christmas and into the New Year, staying at someone's condo while they were out of town. The condo, mind you, was a 1928 1 bed/1 bath with what I'd estimate was over 1000 sq ft in the Marina/Cow Hollow neighborhood. I'd guess it was close to a $1 Million dollar condo.

This was my fourth trip to SF and the longest I've ever stayed plus the first time I didn't stay in a hotel, so it allowed me to really experience living in the city.

To me, San Francisco is the West Coast's Manhattan. The diverse neighborhoods, the density, the history, the public transit, the Golden Gate Park (which is actually inspired by New York's Central Park but 20% bigger). I love the city and it's everything I thought I wanted Phoenix to be.

We drove into the city and having done my homework beforehand, I knew we wouldn't have the best luck with parking at the condo (no assigned parking) so we parked the car at the Colma BART Park and Ride ($5/day) and used public transit during the week stay. It took 1:45 to get back to the condo using a mix of subway, bus, and walking, which was a distance of 8 miles. We did find parking on the street was possible from time to time had we decided to keep the car, but it had a 2 hr time limit during the day.

Public transit, which I am a big fan of in theory, I learned is a thing of patience and not a thing of comfort. Subways are not quiet things...after a long day at work, the last thing you probably want to hear is the howling sound of another train going in the opposite direction through a tunnel.
Another thing you learn to expect is all sort of different smells. I don't mean to come off all "high horse" but it's the reality of things, from the buses to the subways, it was either the cars themselves or the people on them.
The convenience was nice, just hopping on and getting there, being able to surf the web on my cell phone and not think about driving, but it's not a very time efficient way of doing things...at least not by Phoenix time standards.

We visited many sites and parks of the city, there is so much to take in. Shopping is out of this world with many stores that I can only wish we could find in Phoenix...and it's a whole different vibe to be able to walk on the streets, full with people, from other store to another, stopping at a cafe or grab a great tasting hot dog from one of the street vendors (best hot dogs I've ever had have been in SF).

We researched the best places to eat and visited them all, both hole in the wall (Ike's Place sandwiches) to nicer places (Betelnut). Food was amazing and some of it within walking distance.

After a few days, laundry built up so obviously we had to do a load. $1 Million dollar condo...washer/dryer in the basement at $1.50 per cycle.

I think I can wrap it up here and reveal my conclusion.

Great place to visit. Visit.

I came to a realization that I think many others have found about Phoenix. For day to day living, Phoenix wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I had the privilege to take a one week vacation to San Francisco between Christmas and into the New Year, staying at someone's condo while they were out of town. The condo, mind you, was a 1928 1 bed/1 bath with what I'd estimate was over 1000 sq ft in the Marina/Cow Hollow neighborhood. I'd guess it was close to a $1 Million dollar condo.

This was my fourth trip to SF and the longest I've ever stayed plus the first time I didn't stay in a hotel, so it allowed me to really experience living in the city.

To me, San Francisco is the West Coast's Manhattan. The diverse neighborhoods, the density, the history, the public transit, the Golden Gate Park (which is actually inspired by New York's Central Park but 20% bigger). I love the city and it's everything I thought I wanted Phoenix to be.

We drove into the city and having done my homework beforehand, I knew we wouldn't have the best luck with parking at the condo (no assigned parking) so we parked the car at the Colma BART Park and Ride ($5/day) and used public transit during the week stay. It took 1:45 to get back to the condo using a mix of subway, bus, and walking, which was a distance of 8 miles. We did find parking on the street was possible from time to time had we decided to keep the car, but it had a 2 hr time limit during the day.

Public transit, which I am a big fan of in theory, I learned is a thing of patience and not a thing of comfort. Subways are not quiet things...after a long day at work, the last thing you probably want to hear is the howling sound of another train going in the opposite direction through a tunnel.
Another thing you learn to expect is all sort of different smells. I don't mean to come off all "high horse" but it's the reality of things, from the buses to the subways, it was either the cars themselves or the people on them.
The convenience was nice, just hopping on and getting there, being able to surf the web on my cell phone and not think about driving, but it's not a very time efficient way of doing things...at least not by Phoenix time standards.

We visited many sites and parks of the city, there is so much to take in. Shopping is out of this world with many stores that I can only wish we could find in Phoenix...and it's a whole different vibe to be able to walk on the streets, full with people, from other store to another, stopping at a cafe or grab a great tasting hot dog from one of the street vendors (best hot dogs I've ever had have been in SF).

We researched the best places to eat and visited them all, both hole in the wall (Ike's Place sandwiches) to nicer places (Betelnut). Food was amazing and some of it within walking distance.

After a few days, laundry built up so obviously we had to do a load. $1 Million dollar condo...washer/dryer in the basement at $1.50 per cycle.

I think I can wrap it up here and reveal my conclusion.

Great place to visit. Visit.

I came to a realization that I think many others have found about Phoenix. For day to day living, Phoenix wins.
I much prefer San Francisco to Phoenix, but it's a rich person's playground. If you've got money, it's an incredible place. Totally smells terrible, though.

Also, Betelnut is good, but the vibe of that place kills me. Where else did you eat? We go out there a lot and I'm always on the lookout for good spots.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
San Francisco is the "Manhattan" of the West Coast, however, I prefer NYC to San Fran. One thing, in Manhattan you don't really need to take public transportation unless you need to go somewhere a relative distance, cabs are cheap, and streets are relatively clean (not Phoenix clean, but other city clean). New York has managed to clean-up its smells but they are there; it comes with age and replacement of old infrastructure...I mean have you been to New Orleans? LOL

I don't really like San Fran because BART is a slow way of getting around and the transit system seems much slower compared to NYC and is MUCH slower than LRT in Phoenix despite BART having subway components. But, nonetheless, much slower than NYC's system for sure...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
San Francisco is the "Manhattan" of the West Coast, however, I prefer NYC to San Fran. One thing, in Manhattan you don't really need to take public transportation unless you need to go somewhere a relative distance, cabs are cheap, and streets are relatively clean (not Phoenix clean, but other city clean). New York has managed to clean-up its smells but they are there; it comes with age and replacement of old infrastructure...I mean have you been to New Orleans? LOL

I don't really like San Fran because BART is a slow way of getting around and the transit system seems much slower compared to NYC and is MUCH slower than LRT in Phoenix despite BART having subway components. But, nonetheless, much slower than NYC's system for sure...
To be fair, BART is a way to get into San Francisco, not around San Francisco (unless you're going to the Mission, I guess). Muni rules supreme in the city and it has its problems, but I can still get from Downtown to the Sunset in 30 minutes - that's basically on the other end of the earth in San Francisco terms.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I was in San Fran one time for only a few days awhile ago, and was blown away by the pricing too. I think the Manhattan of the West Coast is a fairly good analysis, especially since it has all those specialized districts, trendy names like SOMA and its own "chinatown" too. If it weren't for money I would take SF anyday. I like the landscape, the bridges, the ferries and even the daily fog rolling in gives it an eerie mystic feel.

I do seem to remember downtown being a little dead after hours or maybe I found the one spot in the city devoid of people? We were somewhere around fisherman's wharf etc. after 9pm probably during a weekday too but it still surprised me a little.

Call me weird but I never found the smells that objectionable in either NYC or SF. Some of the worst smells I can recall recently were wafting from the Phoenix sewer systems in front of Harkins Theatres. Specifically the one south of Bell and 83rd Ave in Glendale/Peoria. Has anyone else noticed that? It seems to be relatively common to place stinky sewer portals in front of congested retail areas out here, even restaurants.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
To be fair, BART is a way to get into San Francisco, not around San Francisco (unless you're going to the Mission, I guess). Muni rules supreme in the city and it has its problems, but I can still get from Downtown to the Sunset in 30 minutes - that's basically on the other end of the earth in San Francisco terms.
Kinda true, but there are the Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green lines IN San Francisco that can get you to points in between Millbrae to Daly City to Embarcadero before crossing over into Oakland...

It takes much too long to get places compared to inter-Borough travel in NYC and commuter trains or subways/heavy elevated rail outside of the city. Muni is better in the city of San Fran but slow and as the OP stated, not only "feels" inefficient but is in terms of time management. NYC is much more friendly transit wise/time wise compared to San Fran.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I was in San Fran one time for only a few days awhile ago, and was blown away by the pricing too. I think the Manhattan of the West Coast is a fairly good analysis, especially since it has all those specialized districts, trendy names like SOMA and its own "chinatown" too. If it weren't for money I would take SF anyday. I like the landscape, the bridges, the ferries and even the daily fog rolling in gives it an eerie mystic feel.

I do seem to remember downtown being a little dead after hours or maybe I found the one spot in the city devoid of people? We were somewhere around fisherman's wharf etc. after 9pm probably during a weekday too but it still surprised me a little.

Call me weird but I never found the smells that objectionable in either NYC or SF. Some of the worst smells I can recall recently were wafting from the Phoenix sewer systems in front of Harkins Theatres. Specifically the one south of Bell and 83rd Ave in Glendale/Peoria. Has anyone else noticed that? It seems to be relatively common to place stinky sewer portals in front of congested retail areas out here, even restaurants.
Of course Phoenix smells worse to you than San Fran or NYC...LOL

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Of course Phoenix smells worse to you than San Fran or NYC...LOL
Haha I didn't say that!! I can even handle the sewage smell for a few seconds while I'm walking through. That wouldn't even make it onto my lengthy list of things I dont like about it here. I just find it odd that they place those sewer portals where they do.

But as far as SF goes, I was there for such a short while that I couldn't even tell you if their sh*t smells better. haha

Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Haha I didn't say that!! I can even handle the sewage smell for a few seconds while I'm walking through. That wouldn't even make it onto my lengthy list of things I dont like about it here. I just find it odd that they place those sewer portals where they do.

But as far as SF goes, I was there for such a short while that I couldn't even tell you if their sh*t smells better. haha
LMAO! Gross CMIST! I can't say I've been around too many suburban sewer pipes in Phoenix where they are next to restaurants or shops but I can imagine that is gross from time to time...LOL!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
I've live in S.F. (yes, in the city limits). I much prefer Phoenix. As someone said, if you are wealthy, perhaps there is something good about living there. Otherwise, it's a wierd place with wierd people and it will cost an arm and a leg to enjoy half the quality of life one can have in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area