Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
This is false buses do not run empty and the light rail doesnt run empty. I take the light rail all the time and everytime it has been standing room only. Phoenix is a car town especially if you live out of the core of the city since Public transportation is poor outside the core Phoenix/Tempe. The reason bus serive is being scaled back is because the taxes that fund it are not bring in the money to run it.
Well, this isn't a valid statistical survey, but I've counted noses at afternoon rush hour in my area, Camelback & 19th Ave. In a typical 2 car train I'm seeing about 15-25 riders. My counts aren't good because I'm looking in from the outside. The point is there is more empty seats than filled ones, when I've looked, maybe a dozen times. Non rush hours, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Just my opinion, but the problem isn't our public transit system. The problem is our urban/suburban sprawl. No transit system can cope with that flawlessly. We all know the answer, jam people together in closer proximity, force us to live closer to where we work/play. But that's not why we (I) chose to live here. We want to have space from our neighbors, me included. We want to fix our vehicles, test our boat motors, run our table saws and not have to worry about neighbors.

Just an opinion, but answer me this. How many miles of track would be necessary to cover the valley so that nobody would have to travel more than 5 miles to a station? What would that cost? Will the valley keep growing while the light rails are expanded? Will the expansion be adequate when it is done?

As long as I've been here the answer to the last question has been no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area