Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:52 AM

18 posts, read 72,667 times

Advertisements

I’m German (born and raised), my husband is from the east coast, and we’re going to be relocating to the Phoenix area in a couple of month due to his job for a very long time. I think we’re in for a huge culture shock, aren’t we!? I’ve been browsing the forum for a few days now in an attempt to do some homework, prepare a little … but find myself a little freaked out (for a lack of a better description). I’ve lived in Jersey for a couple of years but other than that in Germany all my life, and Jersey was very much like Germany besides the obvious like the people, the language, attitude and such, but the weather and environment was very much like home.
I have the usual questions, like are there really that many spiders in AZ? Thinking about it gives the shivers already, snakes and scorpions too!?…we don’t have anything that “fancy” here. I can’t get myself to click on any of the websites for spider information in AZ because of the pictures (I did it once and couldn’t get the dang picture out of my head all day)
How can I keep them at a minimum in the house, what do I do when I see any of those things? *shudders*
My friend in Louisiana has a company spray her property for the mosquitoes, is there such a thing in AZ to the critters?
Cost of living, is it high? Jersey has a very high cost living.
What is there to do, if it gets too hot for people to spend time out side?
How is the Job market, is it difficult to find a good job?
We are not sure whether or not we should wait about a year to buy a house (to do our homework) or do it when we get there, he’ll be working in Glendale. I haven’t really read anything positive about that town. Is it really that bad? What about real estate there?

Ok I think I’m going to stop right there…lol..I would appreciate any responses so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 11:35 AM

343 posts, read 552,677 times
The critters will bother you with less frequency in AZ, the cost of living is better than Jersey, and prepare to slow down in AZ as most things are slower. This will be a big culture shock as everybody who moves here wants to bring their past lifestyle with them. Just prepare to make changes. It will be great as long as you have employment secured.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:54 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I say keep reading this forum, as all of your concerns have been addressed a lot. If spiders and scorpions were all that bad we'd all be complaining about them. The only ones who have these concerns are people who are thinking about moving here. Bugs aren't too much of an issue for most.

I believe there has been plenty of good things said about Glendale. This is a BIG city and there are of course bad areas and good areas. I rave about north Glendale as that is where I live and several others on here as well. There are some perceptions about Glendale out there and I think it's because they haven't seen the good parts, and I'll tell you that north Glendale, more specifically Arrowhead Ranch area is one of the nicest parts of the Phx metro area. So, don't worry about it. You can get into a nice home (small) for $275k, if you want really nice think more like $400k+.

As I said above, spend a lot of time reading all the old threads on here. I think you'll get the gist of what's really a concern and what's not.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Two summers ago here in Vistancia, we saw 5 rattlesnakes on the sidewalk trail. Last summer we saw one that some stupid kids killed. This summer I am looking forward to seeing one and have not seen any yet. The Javalina are also gone. The building and all the activity has scared them off I fear. I was very afraid of them at first then curious then very interested. I hope I can get over my fear of spiders soon.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:33 PM

18 posts, read 72,667 times
Default thank you

thank you guys for your responses, yea after posting I actually spent most of today on the forum and have been readying a lot of great information. It's been a lazy Sunday I appreciate your messages thou, I'm getting pretty excited about moving and exploring AZ soon. I've got that "instead of complaining about what I can’t do, I'll focus on what I can do" attitude and know that homesickness will get me once in a while no matter where I go.
I am looking forward to the weather believe it or not, I hate fall and winter in Germany, always have. Being cold and feeling depressed due the lack of sun light just isn't my thing.

I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't find an answer to (or haven't been going back far enough) ..

I have a expired NJ license and a European license, will I still have to do the driving and written test to obtain an AZ license?

My car, do I have to change anything once I get there to get it fit for that climate?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 AM

47 posts, read 198,915 times
I'm currently in England and looking to move to Phoenix in the next twelve months, so I've had all the same questions as you. It's my understanding that if you move to AZ, you still need to take a driving test and obtain an AZ licence before the end of your first 30 days.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:00 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Expect the majority of your time outside your home will be in a car in Phoenix. You will drive and drive and more drive with the high gas prices as they are.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:45 PM

10 posts, read 51,863 times
Phoenix is very diverse -- and large.

If you plan to move here to work, then try to find a place near there. I would advise getting here and staying in a temporary place for at least 2 weeks before renting or buying. You need to look around a lot.

If you are not working, there are lots of places 45 min from downtown Phoenix that are much cheaper and less hectic.

No worries about snakes, etc. If there were an issue, there would not be so many people here. More concern is finding a neighborhood you like and feel comfortable in (and can afford).

Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 51,863 times
[quote=Mel22;781511]
We are not sure whether or not we should wait about a year to buy a house (to do our homework) or do it when we get there, he’ll be working in Glendale. I haven’t really read anything positive about that town. Is it really that bad? What about real estate there?

QUOTE]

The housing maket is down in Arizona due to the many speculators that bought 12-24 mo. ago. I think between now and Dec 07 are great times to buy. Consensus is that housing will go up in early 2008.

BUT, if you are going to buy, take lots of time (2-3 weeks minimum) to look around first. Then check resales and put in an offer 10-15% below the asking price. Many are desperate to sell and you will find many that will take such an offer just to get their house sold.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 PM

24 posts, read 70,022 times
Default Answers To Your Questions From Petra

HELLO,
I ADDED A FEW COMMENTS IN TEXT FOR YOU.
PETRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel22 View Post
I’m German (born and raised), my husband is from the east coast, and we’re going to be relocating to the Phoenix area in a couple of month due to his job for a very long time. I think we’re in for a huge culture shock, aren’t we!?
I DON'T THINK YOU WILL BE IN FOR A CULTURE SHOCK, MORE OF A SURPRISE ON HOW MANY CULTURES ARE INTERJOINED IN ARIZONA. YOU WILL FIND LATIN, AMERICAN, MEXICAN, EUROPEAN AND ALL SORTS OF CULTURES FROM AROUND THE GLOBE HERE IN PHOENIX. IT'S A CULTURAL MECCA, INCLUDING A GOOD SIZE GERMAN POPULATION.
I'M ALSO FROM GERMANY, BORN AND RAISED, AND HAVE LIVED IN ARIZONA MOST OF THE LAST 20 YEARS. I HAVE TO SAY ARIZONA IS MY NUMBER ONE CHOICE IN LOCATION OF ALL US STATES.

I’ve been browsing the forum for a few days now in an attempt to do some homework, prepare a little … but find myself a little freaked out (for a lack of a better description). I’ve lived in Jersey for a couple of years but other than that in Germany all my life, and Jersey was very much like Germany besides the obvious like the people, the language, attitude and such, but the weather and environment was very much like home.

IF YOU LIKE A LITTLE BIT OF HOME, THEN VISIT NORTHERN ARIZONA, I.E. THE PRESCOTT, AZ AREA. I FOUND IT TO BE SIMILAR TO BAVARIA, WHERE I'M FROM. I LIKED IT SO MUCH I WILL BE RELOCATING THERE BY JULY.

I have the usual questions, like are there really that many spiders in AZ? Thinking about it gives the shivers already, snakes and scorpions too!?…we don’t have anything that “fancy” here.

I'VE LIVED IN ARIZONA FOR MANY YEARS NOW, AND QUITE FRANKLY I HAVE SEEN MORE SPIDERS AND CREEPY CRAWLIES IN FLORIDA THEN ALL MY YEARS IN ARIZONA. MOST LANDLORDS IN AZ, WILL SPRAY THEIR PROPERTIES TWICE A YEAR. I HAVEN'T SEEN MANY SCORPIONS INDOORS.

Cost of living, is it high? Jersey has a very high cost living.

COST OF LIVING IS HIGH NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. ARIZONA IS STILL COMPARABLE GOOD IN PRICE ON WHAT YOU SPEND IN GROCERIES. HOUSING IS STILL DOABLE, DEPENDING ON WHAT AREA YOU WANT.

What is there to do, if it gets too hot for people to spend time out side?

THERE ARE TONS OF MALLS AND SHOPPING OPPORTUNITIES. FLEAMARKETS AND FOR THE KIDS, FUN AND SPORTS PARKS, BOTH INDOOR AND OUTDOORS. YOU WILL NOTICE, MOST PEOPLE WILL GO OUT AFTER SUNSET, SO THE NIGHTLIFE IS ACTIVE, JUST WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS, FOR CRIME AREAS IT IS NOT AS SAFE AS GERMANY.

How is the Job market, is it difficult to find a good job?

IF YOU HAVE THE JOB QUALIFICATIONS THERE ARE PLENTY OF GOOD PAYING JOBS TO GO AROUND.

We are not sure whether or not we should wait about a year to buy a house (to do our homework) or do it when we get there, he’ll be working in Glendale.

I WOULD WAIT AT LEAST SIX MONTHS TO A YEAR, TO SEE IF YOU CAN TAKE THE CLIMATE CHANGE. IT'S AWFULLY HOT IN THE SUMMER OVER 110 ON AVERAGE. QUITE NICE IN THE WINTER, NO SNOW IN PHOENIX, GLENDALE AREA.

I haven’t really read anything positive about that town. Is it really that bad? What about real estate there?

I WOULD STAY WITH THIS FORUM, AND LISTEN TO THE RESPONSES. HOPE YOU WILL GET MORE INFO ON GLENDALE ITSELF.

Ok I think I’m going to stop right there…lol..I would appreciate any responses so much!
VIEL GLUECK MIT EURER SUCHE. HOFFE ALLES GEHT GUT MIT DEM UMZUG.

PETRA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area