Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
finally someone who understands my predicament! Its is extremely difficult at best to live on unemployment compensation in AZ. AZ is definately a 'cheap' state and its social services is a joke. Thank God I dont have a mortgage. The measly amount I actually do get just bearly pays my rent and utils alone. Unemployment in AZ is beyond a joke. Should a person like me with 2 college degrees (BS and MBA) live like this????? H.e.l.l. no.
I have yet to meet anyone who actually said that they could make ends meet on unemployment. Some are dipping into their 401Ks to make ends meet. I really feel sorry for people with families.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM

98 posts, read 286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nortel layed off my friend and about 20,000 other employees nationally in February 2001 so it's safe to safe to say you didn't exactly arrive here at the right time. Most of the IT growth occurred in the 90s.
I think you are right that I did not arrive at the right time (2001). Heck, when I arrived, I had a programming job lined up with AmericaWest and then 9/11 hit before I even started the position (all hiring froze). However, the 90s were a great boom for most metro areas that have tech hubs (internet boom, Y2K scare, etc). I did not know that Phoenix was 2nd in the nation in that respect. But, I wonder what rank they are at today?

And in general, this field has been hurt by several factors. Besides the obvious economy, other major factors are H1B VISAs, offshoring, etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who actually said that they could make ends meet on unemployment. Some are dipping into their 401Ks to make ends meet. I really feel sorry for people with families.

I definitely could pay all my bills (including rent, car insurance, gas, food) on $265 a week. I have been living on less than that ($200 a week) for years.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
I think you are right that I did not arrive at the right time (2001). Heck, when I arrived, I had a programming job lined up with AmericaWest and then 9/11 hit before I even started the position (all hiring froze). However, the 90s were a great boom for most metro areas that have tech hubs (internet boom, Y2K scare, etc). I did not know that Phoenix was 2nd in the nation in that respect. But, I wonder what rank they are at today? And in general, this field has been hurt by several factors. Besides the obvious economy, other major factors are H1B VISAs, offshoring, etc.
Phoenix still has an excellent semiconductor, chips and hardware industry in general. I'm a strategy consultant and we often work with these companies. As azriver mentioned, engineers in this industry are rather specialized. Its' not the type of work that is easily accessible to someone without a formal college degree in BSEE and years of experience. It's much easier getting in on the ground floor in software coming out of a tech or trade school. There are jobs in Phoenix in these areas but the caveat is they want a BSEE and at least 3 years of experience in that particular industry or a similar one which would eliminate most people. There are avaialable jobs but Phoenix needs a more diversified market so that it isn't limited to one niche

Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM

75 posts, read 130,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
finally someone who understands my predicament! Its is extremely difficult at best to live on unemployment compensation in AZ. AZ is definately a 'cheap' state and its social services is a joke. Thank God I dont have a mortgage. The measly amount I actually do get just bearly pays my rent and utils alone. Unemployment in AZ is beyond a joke. Should a person like me with 2 college degrees (BS and MBA) live like this????? H.e.l.l. no.
It is very difficult in this market.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
As I am familiar with unfortunately, Arizona has one of the lowest unemployment benefits in the nation.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
I think you are right that I did not arrive at the right time (2001). Heck, when I arrived, I had a programming job lined up with AmericaWest and then 9/11 hit before I even started the position (all hiring froze). However, the 90s were a great boom for most metro areas that have tech hubs (internet boom, Y2K scare, etc). I did not know that Phoenix was 2nd in the nation in that respect. But, I wonder what rank they are at today?

And in general, this field has been hurt by several factors. Besides the obvious economy, other major factors are H1B VISAs, offshoring, etc.
The offshoring does seem to be having a major effect.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I definitely could pay all my bills (including rent, car insurance, gas, food) on $265 a week. I have been living on less than that ($200 a week) for years.
Most people can't. Let's see you have rent which could range from $400-$500 a month. I live in a bad neighborhood, so getting a roommate would be difficult. I really don't want to live with a drug dealer, gangster, or convicted sex offender being a single female. Car Insurance can range from $60-100. Food can be purchased on $100 a month. You might be able to pay $50 a month if you live off ramen noodles or have the space to grow a garden. Asthma and allergy medication $100-$265 a month. My health insurance is crap and never wants to pay for my medication. Although I would be paying over $400 without insurance. Health insurance tends to range from $80-$130 for most single people. Gas and travel expenses to interviews is usually for $30 a week for a car. For those with trucks or SUVs I would imagine you are paying around $50 a week. Utilities for a lot of people tend to be around $100. When you are jobless, going without a phone is not a good idea. I have already had one emergency come up, a $400 car repair bill. I also had to go visit the doctor twice because I got sick. That was around $200. I am overbudget. Yes, I did have savings and it did help until I lost my u/e due to a stupid clerical error. Now, the savings is gone.

Families and single parents would obviously have much higher expenses.

I finally managed to get my ue back once I mailed a signed letter to the goverrnor.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
As I am familiar with unfortunately, Arizona has one of the lowest unemployment benefits in the nation.
I know that I have spoken with people in other states who complain about trying to pay for stuff on $330-$500 a week in ue. I am like, "you don't know how good you have it." At least on that kind of salary, you may have to cut expenses, but you could still afford "feel good" items like a hair cut once in awhile. I would love just to be able to get my hair cut.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Time to put this back on topic...jobs not unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area