Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
Cutting expenses is perennial during these times.
I know. I am still looking for ways to cut expenses. People in high paying unemployment states keep complaining about being forced to take a job that pays $12.00 an hour. At least for those of us in AZ, $12.00 an hour would be a huge step up.

Living on low pay has really humbled me. Now, I am kind of envious of that waitress making good tip money or that cashier with medical benefits. I am asking for God's forgiveness because I actually used to be one to look down on these people and think that I am too educated for a job like that. I am so sorry that I was ever like that. I guess unemployment has a way of changing you.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I know. I am still looking for ways to cut expenses. People in high paying unemployment states keep complaining about being forced to take a job that pays $12.00 an hour. At least for those of us in AZ, $12.00 an hour would be a huge step up.

Living on low pay has really humbled me. Now, I am kind of envious of that waitress making good tip money or that cashier with medical benefits. I am asking for God's forgiveness because I actually used to be one to look down on these people and think that I am too educated for a job like that. I am so sorry that I was ever like that. I guess unemployment has a way of changing you.
Honestly, if I were in your position, I would look for places to volunteer, at least 2 full days a week. If you are in construction, volunteer with habitat for humanity, etc. Maybe something like Pat's Run, which is coming up next month and may still need volunteers. This way you can get out and meet people that may be in a position to help you out, or find someone that needs employees. In this economy, I think the people that are having the best luck are people that "know people", so it's important to network.

If you're willing to work in a restaurant, I know Famous Dave's is hiring for a new location in Gilbert, as it was mentioned in the paper this week. I know there are new restaurants popping up all over that may need help. Also, the census is in the process of hiring people, I think at about $15/hour, but you would need to jump on that fast.

Good luck

Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM

331 posts, read 956,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If you're willing to work in a restaurant, I know Famous Dave's is hiring for a new location in Gilbert, as it was mentioned in the paper this week. I know there are new restaurants popping up all over that may need help. Also, the census is in the process of hiring people, I think at about $15/hour, but you would need to jump on that fast.

Good luck
My friend sent me a message at 4AM this morning and said that Famous Dave's had received 350 applications for the Gilbert location. I imagine that number increases by the hour. It goes to show you how bad the employment picture is out there. You really have no idea how bad it is until you are unemployed (like me) and witness it firsthand. It is awful.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
My friend sent me a message at 4AM this morning and said that Famous Dave's had received 350 applications for the Gilbert location. I imagine that number increases by the hour. It goes to show you how bad the employment picture is out there. You really have no idea how bad it is until you are unemployed (like me) and witness it firsthand. It is awful.
I think they had something like 130 positions to hire for, though. I know CDW (in chandler) is hiring Account Managers. I have no idea what they get paid, but I see the parking lot everyday when I pass by on the San Tan, and the employees cars look decent, so I guess they do OK. I think they also have inside sales reps there as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

I know what you mean, bluebelt. I used to be so arrogant, thinking I was so much better than everyone and so entitled. And now I have received my wake-up call. Got laid off in AUG, now living on $200 weekly in unemployment, having to rely on foodstamps, difficulty paying the rent and searching for a measly $10 an hour to just get by. Like you, I am eating my humble pie and woken up from my dream world. God has taught me a lesson, and it reminds me of how Jesus lived and taught us how to live. Possessions wont make you happy, nor get you to heaven.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I know what you mean, bluebelt. I used to be so arrogant, thinking I was so much better than everyone and so entitled. And now I have received my wake-up call. Got laid off in AUG, now living on $200 weekly in unemployment, having to rely on foodstamps, difficulty paying the rent and searching for a measly $10 an hour to just get by. Like you, I am eating my humble pie and woken up from my dream world. God has taught me a lesson, and it reminds me of how Jesus lived and taught us how to live. Possessions wont make you happy, nor get you to heaven.
You and everyone else, trust me. This downturn has been humbling to me as well..........especially factoring in my wages are now only about $100 more a week after taxes vs. unemployment

Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM

59 posts, read 136,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The semiconductor industry is folding. One company closed out their HR department because they don't need it anymore. They also let 1/3 of their people go.
A little late to the party, but I have to agree with this sentiment. I've worked in the semi industry for almost 4 years, 3 of which were in Phoenix before I was laid off last year.

The problem with the industry in Phoenix specifically is that it grew largely because of Motorola. They were the colossus that caused a lot of support companies (i.e. wafers, industrial gasses, etc...) to set up shop, which then led to smaller manufacturers opening up facilities. It has been in steady decline since they spun off all their manufacturing to ON semiconductor and Freescale. Now ON (along with STMicroelectronics) is shutting down all their manufacturing in the Phoenix area.

Realistically, the only company that is still making significant investment in the Phoenix area is Intel. If this trend keeps up, Phoenix will become more like Albuquerque or Colorado Springs, where there is really only one company with a significant manufacturing presence. That's very bad news if you consider how much smaller those two cities are compared to Phoenix.

As my name indicates, I moved from Phoenix to the Portland area last year. The semiconductor industry is shrinking everywhere in the US, but my analysis led me to the conclusion that it seems to be slower here than in Phoenix.

On topic, I'd recommend that the OP do some research on the industry he's aiming for, to see if some city has (or had) a significant number of companies who specialize in it. These days, no matter where you go competition is going to be fierce, especially for someone trying to relocate. You'll have a better chance if you can target a place that needs people with your credentials. By doing that, I was able to land a job in Portland last summer when they had the third highest unemployment rate in the nation at 12%.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 28,516 times
Phoenix is a a terrible place to be right now. I was laid off about a year ago...got by on contract work for a little while. Started my own business and did manage to get a little bit of work but now it is all dried up and gone. I'm a regular volunteer and network as much as possible and guess what....networking with other unemployed people doesn't help much....and half of the people that I volunteer with are unemployed, the other half feel lucky to have a job.

I can directly relate to the person who posted this thread and seeing that a few of you are telling him/her to "go find a job and stop crying" makes me sick. Yes...it IS possible to be overqualified for a menial job. Employers see your resume and KNOW that you don't want the job...you just need it so they KNOW you will be bailing on them as soon as you find a job back in your previous field. Trust me...telling them "I realized that my BS and my MBA were stupid ideas....my passion is bartending and I am changing careers" just won't fly in this economy....especially when you are applying with 40 experienced bartenders.

So it is tough...and especially tough in Phoenix. My advice is to tap into your college alum networks and start networking on a national and even international level. You obviously have the means to relocate so just stay open minded. Start talking to people to get an idea of how things are looking in other cities. Do job searches in other cities. Don't just pick cities that look like fun....pick cities that have the most opportunity for you.

I am in the process of moving out of Phoenix.....When the time comes...I think you will just know what you have to do. My choice was to sit and keep sinking in Phx or go try a better market so I am on my way out. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:11 AM

75 posts, read 130,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Some time later now, I heard that number had gotten up to 800.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM

75 posts, read 130,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXtoPDX View Post
A little late to the party, but I have to agree with this sentiment. I've worked in the semi industry for almost 4 years, 3 of which were in Phoenix before I was laid off last year.

The problem with the industry in Phoenix specifically is that it grew largely because of Motorola. They were the colossus that caused a lot of support companies (i.e. wafers, industrial gasses, etc...) to set up shop, which then led to smaller manufacturers opening up facilities. It has been in steady decline since they spun off all their manufacturing to ON semiconductor and Freescale. Now ON (along with STMicroelectronics) is shutting down all their manufacturing in the Phoenix area.

Realistically, the only company that is still making significant investment in the Phoenix area is Intel. If this trend keeps up, Phoenix will become more like Albuquerque or Colorado Springs, where there is really only one company with a significant manufacturing presence. That's very bad news if you consider how much smaller those two cities are compared to Phoenix.

As my name indicates, I moved from Phoenix to the Portland area last year. The semiconductor industry is shrinking everywhere in the US, but my analysis led me to the conclusion that it seems to be slower here than in Phoenix.

On topic, I'd recommend that the OP do some research on the industry he's aiming for, to see if some city has (or had) a significant number of companies who specialize in it. These days, no matter where you go competition is going to be fierce, especially for someone trying to relocate. You'll have a better chance if you can target a place that needs people with your credentials. By doing that, I was able to land a job in Portland last summer when they had the third highest unemployment rate in the nation at 12%.
I also know of a semiconductor company in the Phoenix area that is planning on phasing out operations here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area