Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Phoenix for a job opportunity...not FOR the music scene because I know it isn't top notch, but I just have to know what's going on with it. I just don't know how happy I would be in a place without a decent live music scene with Jazz (preferably experimental), Funk, Blues, and hopefully some solid Afrobeat. (I'll focus on those because they are most important to me, but I'm big into live rock and jam bands too, so information there is more than welcome.) Any recommendations and insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Where are the live music venues for these genres of music? How easy is it to find these types of music on any given night? I am 23 years old, female, and am open to any type of venue....bar, lounge, whatever. I want places to dance to some dirty funk AND places to relax & enjoy the music. Also, any quality music festivals come through? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Check out Phoenix NewTimes for local information on clubs. Also, there are a ton of festivals in Arizona, especially this time of year - just google.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
We have a ton of festivals and any act that tours is pretty much guaranteed to play here at some venue

there are a lot of really good venues around for touring acts

there is some presence for what you are looking for, but aside from the rock scene it may be difficult to find

I like jazz and blues and the quality and quantity here does not hold up to other places I've lived .... there is some good talent though and some random places for a good night out

you'll have to keep your ears and eyes open though

Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
This should give you a taste of what's available here - KYOT Calendar

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM

260 posts, read 904,341 times
This post reminds me of all the great concerts we saw while living there. Granted, it was before we had our little one and no babysitter required... still, lots of music going on there.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutdafunk View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Phoenix for a job opportunity...not FOR the music scene because I know it isn't top notch, but I just have to know what's going on with it. I just don't know how happy I would be in a place without a decent live music scene with Jazz (preferably experimental), Funk, Blues, and hopefully some solid Afrobeat. (I'll focus on those because they are most important to me, but I'm big into live rock and jam bands too, so information there is more than welcome.) Any recommendations and insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Where are the live music venues for these genres of music? How easy is it to find these types of music on any given night? I am 23 years old, female, and am open to any type of venue....bar, lounge, whatever. I want places to dance to some dirty funk AND places to relax & enjoy the music. Also, any quality music festivals come through? Thank you for your help!
This is an open drug use city. Maybe not open to the cops, but to each other. I would imagine there are a lot of pot smoking experimentalists around the area. I've ran into experimental jazz sax and Brazilian style bongo. First friday off of Roosevelt has some of that scene.

And no I do not do drugs, I only see musicians that do the wacky stuff.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM

139 posts, read 530,128 times
I live in Gilbert, near Phoenix. I would like to be more involved musically, but the distances are just so great I find it difficult. Also, I am suspicious of the quality of the musical scene here. I find the general attitude here so deadening that I am sure it affects the music. However, there must be exceptions. Some people thrive here and don't mind the heat and the distances.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
Hey yall...
My first post here...be gentle... I'm NEW to Arizona from Colorado, via Southern Cali... and as my name implies (ever-so-cleverly) I'm fresh 'out da joint'... and while on 'sabbatical' by the friendly staff at Colorado DOC I was able to learn how to play guitar (fairly well)... Now, I'm no "shredder" but I can keep a decent rhythm and I learn quickly...that said...
I'm looking to get dialed in to the music scene of this area...ASAP. Not only do I wish to see live performances but I wish to join a band if at all possible. I have no wife, kids or "job" to hold me down at this point... it's the first time in my life I've been truly footloose and fancy free...
So... a little help would be nice. I'm as reliable as they come... I DON'T do drugs...and I don't abuse alcohol... and I'm quite "Libertarian" in my views... so... someone please throw me a bone! THX

X-Kon
" I refuse to believe that the same God that endowed me with an intellect, sense and reason...expects me to forgo their use" ~ Galileo

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
We are one of the largest cities in America and have a pretty good music scene here. You won't have a problem, either of you.
New Times, and word of mouth will get you where you desire.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
Quote:
I just don't know how happy I would be in a place without a decent live music scene with Jazz (preferably experimental), Funk, Blues, and hopefully some solid Afrobeat.
You're certainly not alone, My wife and I are trying to relocate to AZ and enjoy a very similar music venue as you do. I'm a jazz nut, she just likes to dance around like she's still 20. LOL!

We found Tempe to be be a fun place, but to tell you the truth, I would love to open a place dedicited to what you speak of.
We're quite a bit older than you, but really appreciate a good live music thing.

I'm sure it must exist in AZ somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area