Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to phoenix in July. My wife will be working at a school located on the northern edge of South Mountain park. I am interviewing for a couple jobs (civil engineer) that would both have me working somewhere between phoenix and tempe. We are interested in getting an apartment in downtown phoenix (copper square), tempe or northern phoenix, so that we will be equedistant from both our jobs. How bad is the traffic in phoenix?!? Specifically, how bad is it travelling from downtown out in the mornings and back in in the evenings? What are the public transit options? I would prefer if my fiance could drive to work and I could take public transit. We only have 1 car at the moment and would like to keep it that way if possible. Can anyone suggest any good apartment complexes for us? We have a 70 lbs dog (lab/border collie mix).

We'll be in town this weekend (jun. 8-11) to check out all our options, and would like some advice on where to start.

So far we are looking at:
-Roosevelt Square
-Camden Copper Square
-Mandarina
-Red Rox
-Any suggestions?

P.S. Don't tell me to break down and buy the extra car. I know I could do that. I'm only interested in getting answers about other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM

93 posts, read 698,768 times
You will be going the opposite direction of the traffic on your commute so it shouldnt be a problem.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norf1981 View Post
Hi,

I am moving to phoenix in July. My wife will be working at a school located on the northern edge of South Mountain park. I am interviewing for a couple jobs (civil engineer) that would both have me working somewhere between phoenix and tempe. We are interested in getting an apartment in downtown phoenix (copper square), tempe or northern phoenix, so that we will be equedistant from both our jobs. How bad is the traffic in phoenix?!? Specifically, how bad is it travelling from downtown out in the mornings and back in in the evenings? What are the public transit options? I would prefer if my fiance could drive to work and I could take public transit. We only have 1 car at the moment and would like to keep it that way if possible. Can anyone suggest any good apartment complexes for us? We have a 70 lbs dog (lab/border collie mix).

We'll be in town this weekend (jun. 8-11) to check out all our options, and would like some advice on where to start.

-Roosevelt Square
-Camden Copper Square
-Mandarina
-Red Rox
-Any suggestions?

P.S. Don't tell me to break down and buy the extra car. I know I could do that. I'm only interested in getting answers about other options.
If you wish to commute via public transportation, you should probably establish where your job will be before you decide where to live. Once you know your work location, you can try to choose a place to live that is only one bus ride (no transfer) from your workplace. You should also try to take into account the new light rail line, which will offer another commuting option when it opens at the end of 2008.

In general, public transit in the Phoenix area is better than its reputation, with reasonably good bus service and the rail line on the way. Still, the area is largely designed for the car, so you'll want to avoid long walks to and from bus stops and long waits in the desert sun while waiting for transfers.

Of the apartment complexes you have named, only Roosevelt Square is familiar to me, but I think it's a great choice. It's at the north end of downtown in an area that was once seedy but is rapidly becoming an arts district. It's also right by a future light rail station. But again, decide your work before deciding where to live.

More information about public transportation: http://www.valleymetro.org

Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,959,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norf1981 View Post
Hi,

-Roosevelt Square
-Camden Copper Square
-Mandarina
-Red Rox
-Any suggestions?

Well so far you are on the right track with letting your wife drive and you taking the public transportation. I agree with the other poster, find out where you'll be working and then if you must take the public transportation try not to transfer. You'll pony up for that car soon enough after a few bus rides.

Do you have to live downtown? Why not look into the Ahwatukee area? It's a short drive to South Mountain and lots of apt complexes. You maybe able to land a job there and walk to work. I worked in Ahwatukke for years. Lots of corporate there.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM

132 posts, read 517,276 times
I would also choose Roosevelt Square over the others you posted. Its a great complex withing walking distance of several places. Camden Copper Square would be my second choice. I have no idea where the bus goes but if you are living at Roosevelt Square in Dec 08 you will have a light rail stop right out front. I would also suggest looking into renting a condo in the area.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Ahwatukee are is a good choice. Driving is a bear anywhere in the Metropolitan area. Not much better than L.A.
This weekend you may even encounter some freeway constuction areas where the freeway is closed and you need to find an alternate route(s).

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,670 times
Quote:
Not much better than L.A.
Disagree. Phoenix is a lot better the L.A. L.A. can have bumper to bumper at midnight on a Saturday. 6-7 lanes of hell

The worse it has been for me in L.A. was 5 hours to drive around 100 miles.

The worse I have seen it in Pheonix was after the Cowboys played the Cards with NASCAR traffic in the area as well. It was 1.45-2 hours to drive from Glendale to Mesa...which included stopping for food and surface streets. Not bad. But then my standards are different..maybe that is bad. Who knows.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Phoenix has 3-4 lanes of hell from 6 am till 7 pm and all the time when there's an accident or construction going on.
How many hours have you sat in the Tunnel when there's a fender bender?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Phoenix has 3-4 lanes of hell from 6 am till 7 pm and all the time when there's an accident or construction going on.
How many hours have you sat in the Tunnel when there's a fender bender?
No way. Freeways are wide open, meaning traffic flows near speed limit, after rush hour (9am - 3pm) and after 7 pm. NOTHING like L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area