Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

GREAT POST, thank you.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There are generally 3 types of people that move to Phoenix.

1) People that move here with a positive attitude and genuinely want to make their home in Phoenix.

2) People that come here to visit, fall in love with the desert scenery, and decide to move here permanently.

3) People that are fed up with cold winters, high costs of living, lack of jobs, and feel that Phoenix with be a magical oasis in the desert.

Group 1 usually toughs it out, realizes that Phoenix does have its' share of problems but decides the pros outweigh the cons. They are the ones who are most likely to stay living here.

Group 2 usually split into two subcategories, 1 that realizes Phoenix is definitely not for them and the other that embraces everything it has to offer and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. 50% of group 2 will move to a different city (or go back to where they are from) within 5 years. The other 50% will stay here, make a home, and enjoy their lives.

Group 3 almost always move within a few years of living here. They complain about the heat, the illegals, the sprawl, and the job market and decide they should have never moved. Group 3 seems to be the one's that complain the most and not embrace anything that Phoenix offers.

I feel that this forum IS a great resource to each category of people but I feel many don't educate themselves on where they are moving and are setting themselves up for failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Landing the Job - Phoenix Business Journal:

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...22/story2.html

Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
[quote=NytoPhx;13441258]This is supposed to be an open forum, where people can express their views whether negative or positive. I came to Phoenix with an open mind. Most other websites, such as Yahoo travel, have at least an equal amount of negative reviews on Phoenix, but as soon as somebody says something negative here they get attacked. I never once put down the people. NYC isn't perfect either, but there's a reason it is the most powerful city in the world, it's because people are open-minded and don't always find such a need to conform. That scenery and the housing are just a microcosm of the people in Phoenix, and the narrow-mindedness of the people themselves. The fact that I went to a top college with a degree is certainly too difficult a concept to grasp for most of you.[/quote]

Note the bolded...you have your thread, you voiced your opinion, now you are complaining because people responded negatively to your opinion...so what is your point positive/negative? You did not like Phoenix, went to NYC and are happy, so be it.

Bolded #2...what does this have to do with it, except you state your opinion after leaving and insult the regulars that do live here? If you wish, I will delete all the posts responding to you as off topic and close this, thus letting you speak alone versus what you just said.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-25-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
[quote=Grannysroost;13450532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
This is supposed to be an open forum, where people can express their views whether negative or positive. I came to Phoenix with an open mind. Most other websites, such as Yahoo travel, have at least an equal amount of negative reviews on Phoenix, but as soon as somebody says something negative here they get attacked. I never once put down the people. NYC isn't perfect either, but there's a reason it is the most powerful city in the world, it's because people are open-minded and don't always find such a need to conform. That scenery and the housing are just a microcosm of the people in Phoenix, and the narrow-mindedness of the people themselves. The fact that I went to a top college with a degree is certainly too difficult a concept to grasp for most of you.[/quote]

Note the bolded...you have your thread, you voiced your opinion, now you are complaining because people responded negatively to your opinion...so what is your point positive/negative? You did not like Phoenix, went to NYC and are happy, so be it.

Bolded #2...what does this have to do with it, except you state your opinion after leaving and insult the regulars that do live here? If you wish, I will delete all the posts responding to you as off topic and close this, thus letting you speak alone versus what you just said.

I would close the thread and let them complain about it to themselves

Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I mean my goodness! Doesn't the OP have anything positive to say about their experience? I guess not. No wonder he/she seems miserable. I will say regarding heat although it can be tough at times, as it has been stated you don't need to shovel it. And why compare NYC to Phoenix? They are 2 different cities and one of them is really expensive and tough for middle class wage earners to live there.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
At the end of the day, every big city has its issues along with some advantages. Phoenix isn't for everyone, just like New York isn't for everyone. I mean I love visiting New York, but living there? Not for me. Too cold, too many obnoxious people who rush rush, rush, cost of living is too high, too much crime and the list could go on and on. And yet other people love living there and would never live anywhere else. That's what makes the world go round.

I did have to laugh though about the OP's comment about the heat. Good grief--toughen up. That's why we have air conditioning. LOL.. I would take dry heat any day over humid sticky heat and I have lived in both climates.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM

197 posts, read 393,093 times
A lot depends on the specifics of the individual(s).

Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM

197 posts, read 393,093 times
Arizona just took another dive in the median income department down to 43rd in the nation:

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/spi0310.pdf

Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
Arizona just took another dive in the median income department down to 43rd in the nation:

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/spi0310.pdf
Arizona is not the Phoenix metropolitan area. Phoenix was ranked 11th in the country with the number of people earning $200,000 or more.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 PM

382 posts, read 1,356,020 times
Quote:
I had one acquaintence in Scottsdale, and being one year removed from college, and fed up with NYC's high cost of living and high stress

With the exception of Ahwatukee, the Biltmore and far northern Phoenix. but think twice due to the heat.
I truly wonder what the full sum of your life experience has been one whole year out of college. Places aren't high stress, people are. Have you lived anywhere else other than NYC and here? Sure doesn't seem like it to me. You should try living all over the world before truly passing judgment on how horrible a city is, and try the Middle East if you want to see what hot and dry is. Last year was rather mild for us, imo.

You have an odd choice of places to pick for being nice places in Phoenix. I think just naming those places speaks volumes of what you were expecting out here.

Quote:
The fact that I went to a top college with a degree is certainly too difficult a concept to grasp for most of you.
Actually it's because we don't really care. Most of us don't judge people by what degree's they carry or don't carry, it's by the attitude they present themselves with. You may want to try California, I've met more of those types from there than anywhere else in the US.

Btw, it's acquaintance, and we won't miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area