Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,483 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Phoenix for the first time next month, with the potential of transferring out there. I'll be flying in around 11am, staying one night, and leaving on the red eye (midnight) the following day. So, about 36 hours total. The office is in the Viad building.

For someone seriously considering a move, where should I drive around (or ask to be driven to) to look at? What neighborhoods should I see or avoid? Anything that would make you say "great reason to move here" or "great reason to stay away"? My hotel is the Comfort Suites behind the Phoenix Art Museum. Any great restaurant recommendation (less than $30 a plate, something local would be great - I've never had cactus soup)?

Also, I'm from northern Vermont (read: four cars is a traffic jam). Should I consider not renting a car but taking public transport and asking my potential coworkers for a tour, or is the driving easy?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
You will need a car, it's very easy to drive here due to the grid pattern of our roads. Phoenix is spread out and not a walkable place and public transportation isn't our strongest attribute.

I can't think of anything in Phoenix you would see and say "great reason to stay away" (other than the thermometer in July and August). I'm from Idaho (town of 1200) originally and have seen nothing here that has caused me concern of any sort. There are places I personally wouldn't live, however, I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the valley during the daytime. Now, some places I wouldn't want to break down at 3:00am.

Knowing some background would make it easier to recommend places to see. Married, family, age, price range for homes, things you like to do for recreation, etc. The valley is HUGE and in such a short amount of time on the ground you're going to need a focused approach.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,483 times
Thanks! Single, almost 30, no kids, I'm not huge into the nightlife/bar hopping/college scene anymore, and would like to get settled into a nice church soon after moving (United Congregational).

I'm thinking of renting for six months or a year before buying, that way I can save for a downpayment, and have a better idea of where I want to be. On Apartments.com I just saw Gilbert, which looks like it has affordable apartments, and they seem nice. My rent range is around $600 - $700 for a 1 bedroom, with a w/d in the unit.

For recreation, I'm into hiking, lounging near water (I know this one will be tough to do, but I'll adapt), and would love to get a dog. Oh, and shopping.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfVT View Post
Thanks! Single, almost 30, no kids, I'm not huge into the nightlife/bar hopping/college scene anymore, and would like to get settled into a nice church soon after moving (United Congregational).

I'm thinking of renting for six months or a year before buying, that way I can save for a downpayment, and have a better idea of where I want to be. On Apartments.com I just saw Gilbert, which looks like it has affordable apartments, and they seem nice. My rent range is around $600 - $700 for a 1 bedroom, with a w/d in the unit.

For recreation, I'm into hiking, lounging near water (I know this one will be tough to do, but I'll adapt), and would love to get a dog. Oh, and shopping.
Well, I'd recommend Gilbert or Chandler in the east valley as both are very nice and well regarded communities in the Phoenix metro area. Many more shopping choices in the east valley than in the west valley. Plenty of water to lounge by as long as you don't mind the water being in a swimming pool because we have lots of those. East valley will put you closer to the nightlife if you ever get the urge and you're surrounded by outdoor activities anywhere you live in Arizona.

The downside to living in Gilbert or Chandler is that you're going to have to deal with some horrible traffic on your daily commute back and forth to work. I live in the west valley and deal with west valley traffic daily but the few times I've had to drive at rush hour in the east valley seemed much worse than what I deal with daily on my commute from Goodyear to my job downtown.

I'd spend your limited time touring the east valley and maybe the north east valley. In my opinion you can skip Mesa as it isn't very appealing to me. More shopping, eating and nice places to live in the east valley then you could explore in a year let alone two days.

The west valley has some nice spots but it's easier to find yourself in a not-so-nice spot than the east valley.

Good luck and remember, it will be hot next month when you visit but it's NOTHING like the heat we'll have in July and August. Bring your swimsuit as next month is great swimming/lounging by the water weather and your hotel is sure to have a pool.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"The west valley has some nice spots but it's easier to find yourself in a not-so-nice spot than the east valley."

Let's not turn this into an "east valley vs west valley" thing.
The east valley has nice areas and crappy areas, the west valley has nice areas and crappy areas. The east valley has shopping, dining, etc, the west valley has shopping, dining, etc. Some much prefer the east valley over the west valley, some much prefer the west valley over the east valley.

Six one half-dozen the other.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"The west valley has some nice spots but it's easier to find yourself in a not-so-nice spot than the east valley."

The east valley has nice areas and crappy areas, the west valley has nice areas and crappy areas. The east valley has shopping, dining, etc, the west valley has shopping, dining, etc. Some much prefer the east valley over the west valley, some much prefer the west valley over the east valley.

Couldn't have said it better!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
If you like hiking and you might be working in downtown PHX check out Central Phoenix in the streets, Arcadia, or the not so north side of PHX. There are mountains interspersed through these areas for good urban hiking. Urban, meaning not so alone on the trail, but good views, nature, and practice. A half hour drive will get you into some more remote hiking on the edge of the city. South Scottsdale is worth looking into.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
In Phoenix you will need a car. If you're looking for a very suburban lifestyle, Phoenix is your place. Hope you don't mind 6 months of summer heat =) If you like early mornings and late evenings, it's actually quite a pleasant place to be, and plenty to do if you're outdoorsy, but not so much for those that prefer nightlife and culture.

Drive to South Mountain park (20-25 min from downtown)...do it in the morning and bring water, hike up to the top (shouldn't take more than an hour, probably less if you're the hiking type) and get a grand view of the Valley of the Sun while surrounded by Sonoran desert. You'll also get an idea how spread out Phoenix really is.

Afterwards, hit up the Desert Botanical Gardens a few miles east of Downtown (again, it's astonishing how beautiful the Sonoran Desert is, and Desert Botanical Gardens is one of the best such places I've been to), maybe drive over to Tempe (great Irish pub, Rula Bula) for a Guinness (best pour in the Valley) and some of their delicious Potato Leak Soup with fantastic Irish Soda Bread. Catch a D-Back's or Suns game at night if you have the time (can probably even leave the car behind and use light rail to get from Comfort Inn to the ballpark.)

Catch some sleep and have a happy flight out of Sky Harbor =)

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post

You my friend are the only one turning this into an "east valley vs west valley" thing. I live in the west valley and prefer the west valley as the slower pace, less people, less traffic suit me better. I made a recommendation to look at the east valley since he only has two days in town and he can't see the entire valley in two days. In my opinion the east valley has more of what the OP said he/she was looking for. So your advice would be to start in Buckeye and race through the entire valley in two days until he/she arrives in Apache Junction? I think the OP was looking for some specific recommendations on where to concentrate due to limited time available.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
In my opinion the east valley has more of what the OP said he/she was looking for.
More what? More Gilbert? That's the only thing in the OP's post that the east valley has more of than the west valley. Here's that post again:

Quote:

Should the OP look at the west valley or east valley? Who knows! Why not the north valley? It really doesn't matter, this doesn't sound like it is much of a house-hunting trip... just getting a general feel for the area as a potential tranfer location. I'd skip looking at the different suburbs and take zenkonami's advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area