Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 02:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jobs yes 2 years ago This place has NO WORK anymore and they are leaving daily, businesses closing daily
Um, over 90% of those who want jobs have jobs. Yes, it's not nearly as good as it was, but it could certainly be worse (like California, for example).

Quote:
night life ends at sundown.
I guess it depends on where you are at and what "night life" you want. Phoenix isn't Vegas (thank goodness!)....
Quote:
BUT WE CAN CONCEAL OUR GUNS WITHOUT PERMIT Wild West BABY ...
Time will tell, but I think when they look back at the statistics, they'll find out we are safer for it. Just a hunch.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times
I will chip in a thought or two since I have lived in So Cal for 10 yrs and Tempe/Mesa area for 30 yrs.

A lot of it depends on your job. If you work indoors during the day 50 weeks a year, the heat isn't that much of a problem. Or if you, like I did for a while, work a swing shift or graveyard, you can sleep during the hottest part of the days. I can't see anyone moving from somewhere cooler to take a job working outside during the day. Obviously some people do, but can't imagine anyone wanting to.

Phoenix is actually located conveniently for people like me who like to zip over to San Diego for weekends or summer vacations, or Vegas for a weekend or week, or simple escape the heat on weekends up in the mountains which is only a 1.5-2 hour drive to Sedona, Flagstaff, and White Mts.

I would guess that at least half the people in Phoenix have access to a swimming pool which helps beat the heat on days you have off and don't leave town.

And you have to remember, a lot of people came here and still do because things are so new, clean, and way cheaper than where they are from. I personally have learned to like the newness of the homes, malls, etc. When I go to old places, which call themselves historic, all I see is old, dirty, and dull looking towns, shops, and restaurants. Maybe that would have seemed interesting to me when I was younger, but not now. I want nice, new, clean, simple, and easy.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
But I don't understand when people write "I'd rather face a summer in Phoenix than winter blizzards in Chicago". On the average the Midwest gets 1-2 blizzards per year. Just stay indoors and relax for a couple of days when these happen.The rest of the winter is 2-3 inches of snow one day, sunny and cold the next 2-3 days, dreary and grey a couple of days then another 2-3 inches. Its not like they get a blizzard every other day. Meanwhile we already know in Phoenix how many 100+ degrees days there are in the summer. Believe me.
Yes, I've noticed how cold becomes bitter and occasional snow flurries become blizzards to make a point. Contrast this to persistent heat which is considered dry (so is a nuclear blast), a few warm months which turns into 1/2 a year, and summer utility bills never mentioned or grossly understated.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM

69 posts, read 177,825 times
The dry desert heat in Phoenix and other areas of the desert southwest is wonderful. I have lived in Southern Florida (Broward/Hendry/Glades/Palm Beach County) for most of my life. Like others have said, the humidity is terrible down here. You can't walk to your mailbox most of the year without breaking a sweat and feeling nasty. I have family in Phoenix and visit them every few years. Multiple times my father and I hiked up Squaw Peak in the heat of the day (110-120 degrees). We did sweat a bit but it was nothing like Southern Florida/Houston/Louisiana, ect. We would have been drenched in sweat if it was humid.

On a side note, I flew to Dallas in August of 2007 for a day trip. The temp's were around 102-105 degrees. Dallas, Texas is not nearly as humid as Florida but not extremely dry like Phoenix, Arizona. I was walking around the downtown area and broke a bit of a sweat. Later that night I landed in Miami and walked from the airport to my vehicle. Note it was 10:00 PM in Miami and I had about a 200 yard walk. Even though it was dark, I was drenched in sweat from the walk. This proves how brutal the humidity is.

-Pat Healey

Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Yes, I've noticed how cold becomes bitter and occasional snow flurries become blizzards to make a point. Contrast this to persistent heat which is considered dry (so is a nuclear blast), a few warm months which turns into 1/2 a year, and summer utility bills never mentioned or grossly understated.
Give me a break, your "nuclear blast" and "half a year" isn't being said to make a point...

I suppose your winter heating bills are so reasonable that they are not worth mentioning either.

I grew up in Upstate NY so I have seen things from both sides. Just get used to the fact that some people prefer the heat and some the cold and each is going to exaggerate to make their point.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I grew up in Upstate NY so I have seen things from both sides. Just get used to the fact that some people prefer the heat and some the cold and each is going to exaggerate to make their point.
Seen it from both sides too. Thanks for confirming my point. Blizzards anyone?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I don't scrape the heat off my windshield when I leave, or shovel the heat out of the driveway....blizzards are 1 thing...cold to the bone and frost, snow are another..... Heat...means no scraper and no shovel or snowblower...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I don't scrape the heat off my windshield when I leave, or shovel the heat out of the driveway....blizzards are 1 thing...cold to the bone and frost, snow are another..... Heat...means no scraper and no shovel or snowblower...
Great post!

You cannot get your car stuck in 2 ft of heat, nor will your can not start because someone tripped over the extention cord to the block heater.

The summer's here are HOT. But, we "phoenician's" are some people call us, learn to live with it. Just like my family in Warroad, MN can live with their extreme winters.

I can ride my motorcycle all year long here. It is more enjoyable in the winter; a leather jacket, some chaps and maybe some heated gear for the colder days.

If you want to complain about the electricity bill in the summer, move out of the 2 story house, keep it at 80, and turn on the ceiling fan. The money you save in the winter from not running the A/C or heater should make up for the money spent in the summer. Yeah it gets cold at night, but you can always put on another blanket.

Imagine the heating bill in the winter in the colder climates? If your power goes out, you die. If the power goes out here in the summer, its hot. Its livable. Imagine not having A/C in the summer, while you are trying to sleep during the day. Its 110 in your room. Yeah it sucks, I did it last summer in Iraq. The power was out OFTEN. It is still doable.

Last but not least...

You can only put on so many clothes in the winter to stay warm before you cant move. Once you start working outside, you start to sweat. Now your are wet and hot, breathing in cold air. Hypothermia anyone?

In the summer, as my drill SGTs back in 04 always said, "DRIIIIINK WATERRRR!" Us-" Beat the heat Drill SGT beat the heat!"

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
True, true!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 AM

453 posts, read 1,628,695 times
I left AZ in June, moved to California for a job, hate it here, I want to move back to AZ. I do not feel at home here as I did in AZ. Who cares about the heat. I have been freezin to death here in Huntington Beach 68 degrees every stinkin day and hardly any sunshine. I miss the sun. My goal is to move back by January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area