Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times

Advertisements

according to some members

I just have to laugh at all the people who have this quirky theory that it gets hotter every year. Well, then what happened to this year? What happened to June last summer!

The fact remains, people remember negative things and forget positive events. This has been an amazing year weather wise yet those same haters are not crediting the great weather we have had this year because they don't want to admit they were wrong. Nonetheless, if it got hot early, the same crazy theories would arise about how it gets hotter each year.

Those of us educated on the topic know that isn't the case. Just examine the statistics and the weather patterns vary from year to year. It has not gotten progressively hotter in Phoenix each year despite the uneducated rantings you may have heard on this forum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM

267 posts, read 885,190 times
This year is a El Nino year. It's been milder all around. This past winter was not as cool as usual, and I don't think this summer will be at hot as it usually is here.

That said, I haven't seen people say Phoenix gets hotter every year, but then again I'm not on these forums a whole lot so maybe I've missed it!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,454 times
I got here on November 20, and it hasn't been hot yet. I've had to go out of my way to run my a/c just to make sure it is ok.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,146 times
June last year we only had about 3-4 days when the temps actually hit 100. The whole month hovered in the mid 80s and 90s.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
June last year we only had about 3-4 days when the temps actually hit 100. The whole month hovered in the mid 80s and 90s.
14 days over 100 last June. Average high of 100 for the month. Source.

There was a really pleasant two week stretch in there, though.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM

932 posts, read 1,963,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post

hmm... it was so nice I guess I didn't notice how hot it was

Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post

An average high of 100 is bad? There were 16 days in June below 100. There were an additional 5 days were it was 103 or less.The average temperature for that month was 89 degrees. The average high for the previous summer in June was 106 and the average temperature for the month was 95.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 AM
zox

344 posts, read 478,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
This year is a El Nino year. It's been milder all around. This past winter was not as cool as usual, and I don't think this summer will be at hot as it usually is here. That said, I haven't seen people say Phoenix gets hotter every year, but then again I'm not on these forums a whole lot so maybe I've missed it!
There have been many members claim it has gotten warmer each year. They attribute this phenomenon to the heat island effect which essentially states that with urban development comes reflection and trapping of heat from concrete and metal structures. It's a theory so it has not been validated. The only thing scientists agree on is weather patterns vary with time. This may be an "El Nino" year but we've had those in the past so they aren't unique. We've also had dry summers where the temperatures were higher than normal. There is a tendency for people to hyperbolize the warmer summers and form conclusions based on that. Those same people fail to account for our milder summers.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
An average high of 100 is bad? There were 16 days in June below 100. There were an additional 5 days were it was 103 or less.The average temperature for that month was 89 degrees. The average high for the previous summer in June was 106 and the average temperature for the month was 95.
Um, I didn't say it was bad. I also pointed out that there were 14 days over 100 (not 3-4) which, through deduction, means that there were 16 days below. I addressed that when I said there was a "really pleasant two week stretch." Not sure what you're debating here.

Last edited by Robert A; 05-19-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
according to some members

I just have to laugh at all the people who have this quirky theory that it gets hotter every year. Well, then what happened to this year? What happened to June last summer!

The fact remains, people remember negative things and forget positive events. This has been an amazing year weather wise yet those same haters are not crediting the great weather we have had this year because they don't want to admit they were wrong. Nonetheless, if it got hot early, the same crazy theories would arise about how it gets hotter each year.

Those of us educated on the topic know that isn't the case. Just examine the statistics and the weather patterns vary from year to year. It has not gotten progressively hotter in Phoenix each year despite the uneducated rantings you may have heard on this forum

I have to laugh at people too but I kinda understand why they say the things they do. I find myself doing it too and I was born and raised here. I think we have short memories and when it gets really hot we complain, moan and groan and say "I don't remember it being this hot LAST year" when it very likely was.

We had a colder than usual Dec. through Feb. up here but that turns out to be a plus for us. It 'forced' a LOT of plants...especially bulb flowers...to be more prolific this year and flowers appeared that we often don't see without the very cold weather. Even my apple trees are loaded this year.

So far, except for the wind which is also normal, we've had a fantastic beautiful spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area