Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times

Advertisements

I was just windering if anyone else has gotten this cold virus thats been going around. My daughter that works in a schhool cafeteria got sick first, then all of us in the hoiuse pretty much did. Ive had it for 4 or 5 days now. sore throat and really bad cough, lost my voice for a few days just now got it back.
The thing is, the first doc I went to thought it was allergies but then I went again and the other doc said its viral. I thought I would be okay b/c I hardly ever get sick and eat healthy but no such luck!
If you haven't gotten sick be careful because it seems to be really contagious. A cashier at a gas station I went to the other day told me she had it and was sick for 3 weeks.

Last edited by phoenixscorpiogirl; 05-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM

271 posts, read 838,937 times
Yep, me too, going on 5 days with the sore throat and cough. I never get sick either; I actually can't remember the last time, it's been years. My husband had it first (and still does), now me. Just slept 11 hours (!) and still feel tired. Blech. Hope you feel better!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
I got it at the end of March and still have a residual cough. It's a nasty virus. I was pretty sick for about three weeks, kind of sick for a week or two after that, then on the mend but not feeling great for awhile. Good luck with this one and feel better soon.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM

26 posts, read 119,024 times
Had the same thing and couldn't kick it for over a week. It wasn't anything to write home about. Just persistent congestion that worked its way from my head to my chest. Very unpleasent.

A coworker mentioned to me that there have been so many cases of these symptoms that the AZ Health Dept. has considered calling this a mini-epidemic.

This is just hearsay but it puts into perspective just how widespread this virus is. Get plenty of rest and fluids. It will pass!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Count me in. Unfortunately. Been sicker than a dog and couldn't figure out why.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,962,902 times
I had the cold 3 times between January and beginning of March all lasting more than 2 weeks.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
OH so that's what it is. . . I thought it was allergies, but it went into my sinuses, then into my upper teeth and I thought I had an abcess tooth. Sick as a dog. No appetite. Nausea. Tiredddddddd... sneezing, headache, stuffed up, general malaise. Started on some penicillin I had at home and its alot better now. I know antibiotics aren't supposed to help virus, but it always works for me, so maybe it was bacterial. Had to hang my head over a pot of boiling water to get things moving again........ YUK

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Thanks - ok here's what does me in - caffeine, sodas, chips (salty), and too much sweets. All combined lower my resistance. Also personally too much chlorine in swimming pools causes me to get a cold. I cured that problem by wearing nose plugs when I swim and only breathe through my mouth (I'm a fitness swimmer). Before the nose plugs I had about six colds in 2009. Now I have more resistance. So in your case you may want to try to cut down on caffeine (I don't drink sodas anymore since reading that 2 cans of soda a week increase chance of pancreatic cancer by 87%).

When I had colds I would detox by going on a liquid diet - only water the first day to get rid of the sore throat within 24 hours. Then I introduce juices and broth the second day but drink lots of water still. By that time your joints are starting to ache. so get back onto solids, but healthy solids with soups that have strong stock. Then I'm on the mend.

I consider myself an expert of respiratory ailments - used to get severe sinus infections twice a year. Had walking pneumonia once. Only Amoxycillin helped with the sinus infections. Moving from the Mojave desert to the Sonoran desert made me ditch the sinus infections (Owens Dry Lake dust was the real cause back in those days).

There is a book out about diets for natural healing. It's been out for a few decades. It was what convinced me to go on a liquid diet. The red meats, dairy products, fried foods, high fat foods, junk food, sweets, sodas, and caffein and heavy alcohol take a strong toll on the body.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
Yeah I don't drink much caffeine except a cup of coffee in the morning and occasionally 1 soda. I drink lots of water juice and gatorade. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit too. I don't get sick very often but when I do it's not pretty.
I try not to go out b/c I hate coughing in public and spreading germs but I've had to work. I think the worst is over now though, butmy voice is still really hoarse and that makes work difficult!
At least I was able to sleep after the doc gave me some cough syrup with codeine. It is a weird virus because I didn't have any fever-neither did anyone in my family, but we all had the sore throat and cough. A lot of it is probably due to the weather, the varying temps and wind don't help.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I saw a woman on the street in suburban Tucson today wearing a face mask. I wondered what was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area