Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

I saw this article today and wondered if anyone here was ever stopped from taking a photograph in any type of situation.

"A few weeks ago, on his way to work, Matt Urick stopped to snap a few pictures of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's headquarters. He thought the building was ugly but might make for an interesting photo. The uniformed officer who ran up to him didn't agree. He told Urick he was not allowed to photograph federal buildings."

Freedom of photography: Police, security often clamp down despite public right

I have always wished I was lucky enough to be in a position of having my camera when either firemen were putting out a fire or police were doing their job. I like the idea of unexpectedly coming upon some exciting action and being able to take a photo. I never thought that I might be stopped from doing it. Also, like Matt above, I love ugly old buildings. Never would I dream I could be stopped from taking a photo of the outside of a building.

So, how about you --- Have you ever been stopped from taking a photo for any reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Yes I have been stopped from taking a picture of a courthouse while on my way back from arkansas and I also got stopped from taking a picture of the custer gravesite . I dont know how that violated anything . Some lady who was of indian decent said that they dont allow certain photographs because some of the tribes descendants dont like the pictures robbing their soul. I thanked her for the info and left . yeah I think I must have been photographing a federal courthouse come to think of it .I have also heard you cannot take pictures of federal prisons either .

Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Our bridges in nyc

Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
I was attempting to photo an old antique bicycle in a Canadian museum when I was told "no photos allowed"...

Bud

Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I was attempting to photo an old antique bicycle in a Canadian museum when I was told "no photos allowed"...

Bud
I didn't know that about federal buildings. Is that a new regulation put into effect after 9-11 for security reasons?

BudinAK, most museums have a posted policy of no photos (of anything) since it could be damaging to the items displayed. They usually remind one that pictures of the collections can be purchased in the gift shop.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Twice.

Once at a Museum in Madrid, Spain where I was somehow oblivious to the dozens of signs that said "No Flash Photography." Absolutely my fault.

The other time was a few months ago in Boston. I tried to snap some photos of one of my favorite art deco high-rises in town. A security guard told me I couldn't do that.

We actually debated this (friendly debate... I told him I wouldn't take the picture but...) as I thought I could take a picture of anything (people, buildings, etc) if I'm standing on a public street or sidewalk. He said no, I can't and listed some pretty reasonable explanations (i.e. peeping tom problems, terror threats, etc). Well, I did some research at home, including calling the building in question. There are some gray areas. Many buildings (in Boston, anyway) own small stretches of the sidewalk adjacent to the building. These boundaries are marked by either different sidewalk surface (i.e. smaller tiles than the public sidewalk) or a thin (usually engraved with the company's name) metal strip running in the seam between two sidewalk tiles. The building I tried to photograph had a metal seam down the sidewalk marking the property line. Of course, if I took a picture within that seam, I'd be shooting from private property which is illegal without permission. I CAN, however, shoot from outside that seam. I have spoken with the guard about this and he checked with management and they agree.

I still don't know how it works with residential property. We have a lot of historic homes up here in residential neighborhoods. While it's not an issue in the central neighborhoods (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, etc) as so many people walk these streets, it can become an issue in more suburban and rural areas. I generally like to ask permission to photograph a house, but it's not always possible. I'm still not 100% sure if it's legal to take a photo of a private home even from a public sidewalk or street. I've heard many conflicting reports.

I'd say that if you have an opportunity, ask the owners (even if you don't NEED to). It can really help avoid problems. You don't always have that opportunity, but when it arises, it can't hurt to ask.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Twice.

Once at a Museum in Madrid, Spain where I was somehow oblivious to the dozens of signs that said "No Flash Photography." Absolutely my fault.

The other time was a few months ago in Boston. I tried to snap some photos of one of my favorite art deco high-rises in town. A security guard told me I couldn't do that.

We actually debated this (friendly debate... I told him I wouldn't take the picture but...) as I thought I could take a picture of anything (people, buildings, etc) if I'm standing on a public street or sidewalk. He said no, I can't and listed some pretty reasonable explanations (i.e. peeping tom problems, terror threats, etc). Well, I did some research at home, including calling the building in question. There are some gray areas. Many buildings (in Boston, anyway) own small stretches of the sidewalk adjacent to the building. These boundaries are marked by either different sidewalk surface (i.e. smaller tiles than the public sidewalk) or a thin (usually engraved with the company's name) metal strip running in the seam between two sidewalk tiles. The building I tried to photograph had a metal seam down the sidewalk marking the property line. Of course, if I took a picture within that seam, I'd be shooting from private property which is illegal without permission. I CAN, however, shoot from outside that seam. I have spoken with the guard about this and he checked with management and they agree.

I still don't know how it works with residential property. We have a lot of historic homes up here in residential neighborhoods. While it's not an issue in the central neighborhoods (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, etc) as so many people walk these streets, it can become an issue in more suburban and rural areas. I generally like to ask permission to photograph a house, but it's not always possible. I'm still not 100% sure if it's legal to take a photo of a private home even from a public sidewalk or street. I've heard many conflicting reports.

I'd say that if you have an opportunity, ask the owners (even if you don't NEED to). It can really help avoid problems. You don't always have that opportunity, but when it arises, it can't hurt to ask.
That's a great, sensible post! Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 PM

728 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Recently thought it would be cool to go down the the Philadelphia Naval Yard on my lunch break. It's being pumped up due to all of the new commercial businesses that has moved in there. They boast a great walking tour of the old facility grounds and buildings... EXCEPT if you try to enter with a visible camera they will stop you at the gate. He told me, "If the government guys see you they will break your camera."

My feeling is that most tourists that would be interested in such a place would want to take photos of the OLD ships there. I'm there to see the ships and not some old blockhouses... Yet they mention nothing of this on their website; I even called their information number and the woman had no idea what to say on the matter.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would never ask somebody to photography their home. You don't need their permission, and there's no need to call attention to yourself. It is perfectly legal to photograph anything you want as long as you're taking the picture from public property. That includes homes, people and even children. If you see it, you can photograph it. The overzealous cops, security guards and property owners need to be schooled on this. I say, when in doubt, just take the shot.

Now I'm not recommending you confront anyone. If a security guard approaches you on a public sidewalk and tells you to stop, you have to decide for yourself if you want to stand your ground or walk away. That's a personal choice you have to make. Know your rights and then make an intelligent choice as you see fit.

Here's a really good article on Photographer's rights that everyone should print out and carry in their camera bag. http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,715 times
No cameras are allowed inside the Philadelphia Mint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography