Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,761 times

Advertisements

I'd like to convert 35 mm slides to a CD/DVD. Whats the best way to go about this to get the best quality?

Plus anything to watch out for so that the 35 mm slides do not get damaged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
good conversions are sooooooo expensive. our local photography store gets over 35 bucks a roll for high resolution scans to disc.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,586,338 times
There's a company called Scan Cafe which will scan your slides for .35 each (right now they're only .29 each) These are high quality scans and I've got friends who are professional photographers who use their service. One of the nice things about their service is that they will let you cancel out up to 50% of your order if you don't like the scans.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
it all depends what quality and resolution scans you want. the above looks decent but make sure if your printing it works well.

the higher the resolution the more expensive the scan..

heres a guide.

Photo & 35MM Scan to Print Resolution Chart

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to look into these.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,048,277 times
One thing to keep in mind with ScanCafe is that they ship your slides, along with all the other orders they have received for a particular time frame, overseas for actual processing. That may not be a deal breaker, but it is something to be aware of.

Take time to read the fine print in the contract or agreement. Make certain you know exactly how the files that are generated from the scanning will be maintained by the scanning service. Also, make sure you are not granting limited copyright usage to the scanning service of the photos.

Depending on the number of slides you have and other documents you may want to scan in, it may make sense to consider purchasing a scanner and doing the work yourself. I have a little over 2,000 slides and about 3,000 prints of all shapes and sizes that I have been slowly scanning in over the last year or so. All of this has been done used a Canon LiDE 600F scanner with the film strip attachment. I prefer scanning in my old slides as I can take the time to edit them as I would like to.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
One thing to keep in mind with ScanCafe is that they ship your slides, along with all the other orders they have received for a particular time frame, overseas for actual processing. That may not be a deal breaker, but it is something to be aware of.

Take time to read the fine print in the contract or agreement. Make certain you know exactly how the files that are generated from the scanning will be maintained by the scanning service. Also, make sure you are not granting limited copyright usage to the scanning service of the photos.

Depending on the number of slides you have and other documents you may want to scan in, it may make sense to consider purchasing a scanner and doing the work yourself. I have a little over 2,000 slides and about 3,000 prints of all shapes and sizes that I have been slowly scanning in over the last year or so. All of this has been done used a Canon LiDE 600F scanner with the film strip attachment. I prefer scanning in my old slides as I can take the time to edit them as I would like to.
Thanks for the info. Yes sending it overseas would be a dealbreaker. I have nothing against another country processing them, however its another added middleman to possibly lose my slides.

As for the scanner you use, how is the quality of the copied print versus the actual slide?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes sending it overseas would be a dealbreaker. I have nothing against another country processing them, however its another added middleman to possibly lose my slides.

As for the scanner you use, how is the quality of the copied print versus the actual slide?
The quality of the digital print vis the original depends on the sharpness of the original and the resolution of the scanner. In the case of the Canon I mentioned, it has a maximum resolution of 4800 x 9600 color dpi.

To give you a sense of the good and the bad, below are two images I scanned in recently from the whole group I've been scanning.

This is a scan of a good photo taken with a Canon AE1 Program. The scan settings were sRGB color and 300 dpi.

WVU vs. Rutgers - 1994

This scan is of a degraded photo taken with an old Kodak Instamatic. Scan settings were also sRGB color and 300 dpi.

Richmond vs. Rutgers - 1985

I hope this helps a bit to give you sense of clarity of the scans.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Yes that helps. Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography