Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

"The California Department of Fish and Game has chosen a dramatic photograph of two birds of prey locked in aerial battle over a fish as its "wildlife photograph of the year." The Sacramento Bee reports that Lyle Madeson shot the image in April at Clear Lake State Park, about 60 miles north of Santa Rosa. He was photographing an osprey flying straight toward him with a fish in its talons and happened to capture the moment when a juvenile red-tailed hawk swooped in to wrestle the catch away."

Photo of aerial fight over fish wins state award | Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register | visaliatimesdelta.com (http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/usatoday/article/39157781?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage %7Cs - broken link)

I found the photo:

https://cdfgnews.files.wordpress.com...randprize1.jpg

So I was wondering does anyone have a good story where they were out photographing something and caught something even better in their photo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 AM

106,700 posts, read 108,880,922 times
we were out shooting in nyc and were capturing the buildings and local culture.

we ended up running into some members of a very prominent national street gang .

instead of robbing us they posed for us and let us photograph them as they held up and threw all kinds of gang signs. marilyn and i dont think we could get much luckier than leaving with our gear and lives.

but such is life in nyc if you want to do street photography

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-29-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we were out shooting in nyc and were capturing the buildings and local culture.

we ended up running into some members of a very prominent national street gang .

instead of robbing us they posed for us and let us photograph them as they held up and threw all kinds of gang signs. marilyn and i dont think we could get much luckier than leaving with our gear and lives.

but such is life in nyc if you want to do street photography
Good story. Did you send them a photo?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
I was out in the woods with the camera setting up to capture a couple of shots of a deer that I saw coming toward me. Just as I was getting set, there was a commotion behind me. I spun around and saw a Red-Tailed hawk take off from just grabbing a Chipmunk of the ground. He then landed on a dead log about 25-30 feet away from me and proceeded to eat his lunch. As gruesome as it was, it was also fascinating. He stayed there until he was almost totally done, then took off through the trees with what was left. I burned through a serious amount of pixels, only to discover I hadn't changed my settings from the last thing I shot and shot them all with ISO 800, which is fairly noisy in an entry level camera. I about cried when I saw the settings when I got back to my truck. One of the few times I wish I had chimped the settings on a regular basis (even though they looked fine on the small display, and the histograms were about where I expected them to be.) In almost 48 years of knocking around the woods, this opportunity had NEVER happened before and I don't expect it to happen again. Kind of makes a sour ball in the stomach just thinking about it again.

This one is a 100% crop of the one just above it. I was happy with how they turned out considering the settings. I did learn the lesson to CHECK SETTINGS EVERY TIME, even if you think you know what they are (or should be).

Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I was out in the woods with the camera setting up to capture a couple of shots of a deer that I saw coming toward me. Just as I was getting set, there was a commotion behind me. I spun around and saw a Red-Tailed hawk take off from just grabbing a Chipmunk of the ground. He then landed on a dead log about 25-30 feet away from me and proceeded to eat his lunch. As gruesome as it was, it was also fascinating. He stayed there until he was almost totally done, then took off through the trees with what was left. I burned through a serious amount of pixels, only to discover I hadn't changed my settings from the last thing I shot and shot them all with ISO 800, which is fairly noisy in an entry level camera. I about cried when I saw the settings when I got back to my truck. One of the few times I wish I had chimped the settings on a regular basis (even though they looked fine on the small display, and the histograms were about where I expected them to be.) In almost 48 years of knocking around the woods, this opportunity had NEVER happened before and I don't expect it to happen again. Kind of makes a sour ball in the stomach just thinking about it again.

This one is a 100% crop of the one just above it. I was happy with how they turned out considering the settings. I did learn the lesson to CHECK SETTINGS EVERY TIME, even if you think you know what they are (or should be).
I have done that myself (usually forgetting to quickly switch to shutter priority) but your photos came out excellent and it's a great story.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Wow! I've got goosebumps from the stories and photos in this thread. I don't have any great photo-op stories to share........yet!

I hope to see lots more here in the days to come. Great idea for a thread, LauraC.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
The baby...

A few seconds later, mom feeding the baby...

400mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1250s, +0.30 EV

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 04-30-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,299,404 times
Barcelona, Spain

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Excellent shots so far.

I have to be put on PJSinger's list of, "I haven't had this happen to me yet". I've had tons of near-misses of some great stuff, but am always that one second too late to get it. The NYC gang shots are neat - they would probably have just mugged me.

I once did see NeNe Leakes of The Real Housewives of Atlanta picking her nose in the Georgia Aquarium and I just about killed myself trying to catch THAT on a shot, but there were 5,000 people in-between me and her - I missed it and she took off through the crowd shortly after. Ok, so that's not art or nature, but I coulda sold it to TMZ. LOL.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,299,404 times
Speaking of cats.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography