Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM

16 posts, read 35,797 times

Advertisements

First of all Hello.... I am new to the site and just getting into photography.....I started taking photos at my oldests softball games and cant stop. My Camera is nothing special (Canon PowerShot SX20 IS) but I have gotten alot of feed back from parents wanting me to take the team pictures next year. I am very flattered by this but dont think Im ready for that big of a task just yet.I would like to get a better camera and more experiance under my belt before I jump into something that important. I work part time and Im a full time stay at home Dad ....I have 2 perfect subjects to practice on atleast lol.

I think the areas I would love to get into are sporting events,wildlife and maybe some Senior pics.
I like Canon and Nikon from what Ive seen but not sure what one to start saving for...any suggestions?
I plan on taking some classes this winter and just get out and taking my camera and shooting pics....cheapest practice I know of =) .
Again thank you all and any info or tips would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
I'm a Nikon user, just what I started out with. Cannon is very good as well.

As far as Nikon goes, you can get started pretty cheap and get some great shots. I use a Nikon D5000. Great camera for someone starting out. I would not go with the D3000, just because of its sensor type, not as forgiving on ISO as the D5000.

The stock lenses can be OK, not bad, but not great. I shoot kids softball all the time with the 55-200mm. If you really want to get more into it, a good external flash can make a world of difference. (I often use flash in daylight, fill light )

I use the sb900 flash, but there are cheaper models.

When it comes to team photos, senior photos, prom, etc, its a whole new ballgame. Lighting is critical. Maybe not as much so with the team pics, but being in the bright sun, its nice to get light up underneath the hats and helmets to bring out their eyes.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Check out the new Nikon D3200 with 24.2 MP and a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens for $699
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...rds=3200+nikon

Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
What is your budget? I am also assuming that you are looking for DSLR. But, I am not a Canon or Nikon shooter. So my input will be based on my experience with Sony. I have a Sony A55, which is similar to DSLR cameras but with a twist in that it uses a fixed mirror as opposed to mirror that moves in/out of the way in a DSLR. I also have a Sony NEX-3, which is also an interchangeable lens camera but has no mirror.

Before going into more details, a lens has two main attributes for specifications: the focal length, and aperture size. A “prime lens” has single focal length whereas a “zoom lens” allows variability of focal lengths over specified range. A typical lens’ maximum aperture size is quoted as an f-value (example: f/2.8). Note that larger apertures have smaller value in the denominator. So, f/1.4 makes for a larger aperture than f/2.0 which in turn is larger than f/2.8 and so on.

A lens with larger maximum aperture is also considered a faster lens. A fast lens is great for low light, action and portraiture. But, faster lens are more expensive. When it comes to zoom lenses, you will often notice a range of maximum apertures specified, along with the range of focal lengths. For example, a 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6 lens will imply a lens that can vary in focal length from 70mm to 300mm. And as the lens zooms, the maximum aperture available shrinks from f/4.0 (at 70mm) to f/5.6 (at 300mm). The more expensive zoom lenses not only tend to have larger maximum apertures, but often also “constant” apertures. For example, Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 SSM is a premium lens that can maintain a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout its zoom range.

With lens basics out of the way, for sports and wildlife photography, you would need a telephoto lens, likely a zoom. I would recommend, at least a 70-300mm. Again, depending on brand, you may find a variety of such lenses from expensive to moderately priced to economical options, from both the camera brands (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax) or third party (Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, for example).

For portraits, you definitely want something between 70mm and 135mm, preferably with large maximum aperture. In most cases, the above lens would work just fine although I am more of a “prime lens” person. For larger group shots, you may have to go wider than 70mm but then, you’re likely to get a normal zoom lens anyway.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks so much for the info...and yeah like I said I want to make sure I know my camera and what Im doing before I atempt to do more then I should. The gentleman taking the team pics now will only do them indoors and one kid at a time..no group shot just adds them all in together when editing...the photos look ok but ppl have noticed some kids look huge compaired to others lol....for me I like the actual group shouts and action shots outdoors. Also when I reach the point of offering my services I plan on giving the bulk of what is brought in back to the Softball/Baseball league.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Sorry just noticed yer reply Ghost...my budget at this time I dont know...I plan on using the Canon I have and start saving. I mean trust me I cant walk out and drop a few grand on a camera...so my guess is around the 1K mark max....for now.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
If I were you I'd consider used gear. It's usually much cheaper, particularly the camera bodies, but most of the later ones will work for you just fine. IOW, I'd prefer an older pro model to a new Rebel in most cases -- just don't go TOO old.

I'm still using an EOS-1D MkII that I bought when they were introduced, whenever that was. It's an 8 mp camera but still works fine for portraits up to 16x20. (Images have to be upsized, of course, but for portraits that's not a problem.) In fact, I still use my original 4 mp EOS-1D as a backup. I wouldn't recommend it as your no. 1 camera, but I've got no qualms about making 8x10s with it in a pinch, and before I got the MkII I'd make 11x14s. The MkII and later are all good. (I've been using the older "classic" 1D almost daily the past year as a knock-around home inspection camera. It takes a licking but keeps on clicking away at a rate of 150-250 images per day.)

Your choice on used or new, of course, but I thought I'd mention that you might give used some consideration. Just be a little careful that you don't get one that's been too heavily used.

I strongly second Blackhemi's suggestion for an external flash. Be sure to get one that will both swivel and tilt so you can use bounce flash when indoors. They're also valuable for outdoor portraits as fill flash. Again, used works fine. I have an EX540 and and EX580.

You'll no doubt need some zoom lenses, but I'd try to budget for a prime lens or two if possible. I have a 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 that I love. They're small, light, fast and tack sharp.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLayni View Post
Sorry just noticed yer reply Ghost...my budget at this time I dont know...I plan on using the Canon I have and start saving. I mean trust me I cant walk out and drop a few grand on a camera...so my guess is around the 1K mark max....for now.
I'd second Newk's point on buying used. IMO, lens is a better investment than the camera body itself. And they tend to be more expensive than the body, and more lasting (I have a bunch of very good to exceptional lenses from the 1970s and 1980s!).

It appears that you're set on getting a Canon body. As far as lenses are concerned, figure out a line up for lenses you'd like to use. I'd highly recommend prime lenses as they tend to be faster and deliver better quality, but lack the flexibility of a zoom. In Sony world, we refer to a trio of inexpensive primes as "plastic fantastic". These would be Sony's SAM lenses: 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2.8. I have the 35mm 1.8 (only $165) that works superbly as a light weight, low light, walk around lens and delivers pretty good Image Quality. On APS-C frame, that focal length makes for a "normal lens". I would think similar economical options exist in Canon world as well. Since you're looking for portraiture, 50mm to 85mm would work for you, assuming you will be getting a camera body with APS-C sensor.

The kit lens may suffice as base lens, but since you want wildlife and sports, you may still have a decent chunk left to invest on a decent telephoto zoom lens.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks again...at first I wasnt sure about the used option because the way my luck runs I will find something that looks gereat and dies in 2 weeks lol....but I see a very valid point to used...more bang for the buck even if it is 2nd hand...and yes I think lenses will be a better investment. I am not dead set on Canon....its just all I have used and know very little on the other cameras out there...every post sofar I have done a search on the brand and mod suggested...Im slowly wading thru specs and everything is all...again for now I will use my Canon because thats all I have =)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Welcome to city data!

Quote:
I started taking photos at my oldests softball games and cant stop. My Camera is nothing special (Canon PowerShot SX20 IS) but I have gotten alot of feed back from parents wanting me to take the team pictures next year.
I do that a lot, various family related events. I don't make commitments in advance. I go to the even, take pictures, and if I am happy with them post them on a site for the others to see. Many times I will upload 10 to 20 images to Costco to print as a give (at 19 cents each). We have the S2, SX10 and SX40 (the last one for my wife, mainly for the HD video capability. The SX20 is a capable camera... Take a look at what others have done with it: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sx20&z=t&ss=2&s=int

Quote:
I think the areas I would love to get into are sporting events,wildlife and maybe some Senior pics.
I like Canon and Nikon from what Ive seen but not sure what one to start saving for...any suggestions?
My current DSLR is the Canon T3i, and two zoom lenses... I purchased my first Canon SLR in 1972. But have used Nikons at work. Since I have been into filming/video since the 60's, I found the Canon's give decent video for my family home video's...

But I'm not getting into the Canon vs Nikon wars (I also have two Nikon cameras).

I grab my wife's SX40 on occasion or her pocket 'Canon a570 IS' on occasion...

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography