Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

As you all know I have a little point & shot HP camera. Today I took it to the local Air show http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...show-2008.html
Not bad IF I say so my self. Anyway About 2-3 hours of taking pic my Battery died So Questions
1 IF I buy extra bateries can I change them when I am out shooting Without messing things up?
2 How would I keep them charged & Ready to go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
As you all know I have a little point & shot HP camera. Today I took it to the local Air show http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...show-2008.html
Not bad IF I say so my self. Anyway About 2-3 hours of taking pic my Battery died So Questions
1 IF I buy extra bateries can I change them when I am out shooting Without messing things up?
2 How would I keep them charged & Ready to go?

If they are rechargeable batteries you can recharge them with a car charger if you have one. I have never heard of any camera that will not let you turn it off and replace the battery and then continue shooting without any problems. Having enough batteries is a common problem when shooting many photos at events when you really can shoot a lot in a short period of time. HTH.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I use 2500mAh NiMH batteries in my camera, they last much longer when they are new, but over time will need to be charged more often.

Shutting a camera off to change batteries won't harm anything, just might cause you to miss a shot.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
No problem changing batteries, and you should always plan on having spares available if you plan on being out several hours and taking lots of shots.

I'm fortunate (IMO) that my camera takes 4 AA batteries. On one outing I had rechargeable backup batteries with me, only to find that they had lost their charge and didn't last long at all. I was able to dash into a nearby store where I picked up some AA batteries and was happily back out and shooting in no time.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Yeah, if it uses AA batteries, you're in luck. Rechargeable AA's are commonly found in many stores, and some of them do come with car charging plugs as well as the standard plug-in. If your camera uses a proprietary Lithium-ion battery, you will most likely need to buy a car charging adapter through HP unless you can find a generic one that will work with it at a store like Circuit City.

Keep in mind that if your camera uses AA batteries, and you decide to use the Ni-MH rechargeable AAs, that they lose power by just sitting around for long periods. Some may lose as much as 1%-3% per day just sitting in the camera, depending on camera. So if you have them in it and it just sits around for a month or so not being used, a lot of their power can be drained the next time you use it.

Sanyo sells a line of AA rechargeables called "Eneloop" which do not drain over time. Very handy. They come pre-charged, too. Costco sells them in sets sometimes cheaper than other stores. Read up on them HERE.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

My camera does not take AA. & to buy a spare cost $34 ugh...
Well at least I now know I can change the batteries without messing up the pic.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My camera does not take AA. & to buy a spare cost $34 ugh...
Well at least I now know I can change the batteries without messing up the pic.
Your battery costs $34? Check out non-brand batteries on eBay; big difference in price. Read reviews on them before you buy so you can be sure that they don't mess up your camera. Only thing they said is that non-original batteries don't have as long of a life as manufacturer's brand but if you only use them purely as a backup, I don't think that's such a bad idea.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Yep takes a HP Photosmart R07 Li ion Rechargeable Battery..at least thats what it came with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography