Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times

Advertisements

Using flash along with a slow shutter speed is the easiest solution (and raise the ISO to 800). If the flash is too strong put some kleenex over the flash to tone it down.

If you want a more natural look (no flash used) have your daughter hold a battery operated candle (or 2 or three) up to her chin (a little out front). That would set the mood. Or string some twinkle lights around her.

Oh yeah, use a tripod for the long shutter speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
Fill flash
Try to balance the ambient light with the flash or your flash will over power the tree lights. You already have the ambient light correctly exposed all you need is the flash in a low power to light her up.
This ^
And if you find it might take more time then the child is willing to sit I suggest using a more patient model or inanimate object.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
IF you want to keep the mood lighting in the room, you need to light the kid with an external light of some type. You can adjust your settings in camera for the flash to expose for the child and leave the rest of the room alone. You can do that in Manual mode. Read the camera manual it's in there under flash.

IF you are trying to fix this in post, it won't work, because it will produce so much noise the photo will be awful and unusable.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM

743 posts, read 2,265,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And this just shows why it's not a good idea to do this, it's not just the low quality of the jpg - trying to brighten such an underexposed area will bring out a ton of digital noise, making it look soft and out of focus, among other issues.
correct specially on a low quality jpeg
but anything is worth the shot

Old 12-01-2013, 06:38 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
I made some adjustments per the recommendations. The problem I am having now is having the kid stay still. I am getting ghosting since she is moving. Sample below.

What I did is used a piece of paper to form a tube around my speed-lite and aimed it at the subject. I turned the flash down to its lowest setting.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
You can put the camera in manual, pick a speed around 1/125 or higher and set the aperature so the tree is able to be seen but fairly dark. Then use the flash to freeze the movement of the subject somewhat.

Unless the room was dark you need to keep the camera speed up higher or you get a mix of motion blur and the flash freezing the subject.

You can not use a slow shutter speed like you did on anything that moves.

2.5 seconds is not for shooting humans .

Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Using flash along with a slow shutter speed is the easiest solution (and raise the ISO to 800). If the flash is too strong put some kleenex over the flash to tone it down.

If you want a more natural look (no flash used) have your daughter hold a battery operated candle (or 2 or three) up to her chin (a little out front). That would set the mood. Or string some twinkle lights around her.

Oh yeah, use a tripod for the long shutter speed.
You can't use a slow shutter speed with people. You would need a very dark room where the flash was the dominant light and able to freeze the subject. That is not the case here with the lite tree.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You can't use a slow shutter speed with people. You would need a very dsrk room where the flash was able to freeze the subject. That is not the case here with the lite tree.
Yep I found that out. I'll try your suggestion. I may just change the entire scene to her sitting in front of fire place waiting for Santa. Back to the camera. Forget the whole tree.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 PM

It is good practice for you. This is why you need to shoot manual in scenes like this.

It is really easy once you get the hang of it.

I use flash in broad daylight to freeze my macro subjects using the same techniques.

Typical settings are speed 1/250 ,iso 400, and i adjust the aperture so the background is dark. I then turn the flash on and adjust the flash to expose and freeze the subject.

Photos are as sharp as a tack as the flash is way faster than the camera is. The camera settings control the background look,the flash controls the subjects exposure.

The flash is the primary light once you get the background dark enough.

In noon time sun you can freeze flying bugs and blowing flowers.

In this case you are trying to freeze a human. Since you are farther away then macro you will need a slower speed around 1/80 to 1/125 and a lens opening that will be wider but the technique is the same.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-01-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Not sure if this will be the easiest solution but -----

If you have software like Photoshop or even free HDR package you can set the camera on tripod, take one exposure without flash for the tree and a second with a flash to freeze the kid and then combine them so that the two exposures are merged. I have done this and it works pretty well even when trying to do essentially an "available light long exposure" of something like a building as well as properly illuminating a subject in the foreground, exactly the situation with the tree and child...

Luminance HDR

This guy has a great tutorial on how he shot his truck AFTER SUNSET in the valley and sun was still glinting off the mountains in the background, you got to scroll to the bottom to see the original "before" image to appreciate just how much the HDR processing can shift around things ! The HDR Image | Off Camera Flash

Last edited by chet everett; 12-01-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography