Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

Don't use flash. The color of the light won't match and your kid will look blue. Technically yes it might get you the right exposures but it will look horrible.

Just use a lamp or two pointed at her, faster shutter, higher ISO, and f4 is probably the correct aperture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i disagree , once the flash becomes the dominant light it should be fine.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 AM

743 posts, read 2,270,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Don't use flash. The color of the light won't match and your kid will look blue. Technically yes it might get you the right exposures but it will look horrible.

Just use a lamp or two pointed at her, faster shutter, higher ISO, and f4 is probably the correct aperture.
I find this incorrect.. once you set your white balance correctly you should not have a problem.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 AM

These pics were taken with one flash bounced off the ceiling @ 1/8 power with the camera white balance set on Flash.

This one has a tad of a cool effect I added

This second one I added a reddish gradient but light Is pretty well balanced

The flash should be able to freeze movement.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I made some adjustments per the recommendations. The problem I am having now is having the kid stay still. I am getting ghosting since she is moving. Sample below.

What I did is used a piece of paper to form a tube around my speed-lite and aimed it at the subject. I turned the flash down to its lowest setting.

This actually looks good

Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
I find this incorrect.. once you set your white balance correctly you should not have a problem.
Except then the incandescent light will be too red. You'd need a gel for the flash to make its color match the Christmas tree lights

Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it all boils down to what is going to be the dominant light. if you set up the background in camera correctly the flash will expose just fine. not perfect as you still have mixed lighting but without dragging around studio lights it is the best you can get and it will be just fine for your purpose.

it is a heck of alot faster and easier than trying to merge shots and or match gels.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
This actually looks good
It does look good but it was shot at 2.5 seconds long, which is too long to ask a child of this age to sit still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis
Except then the incandescent light will be too red. You'd need a gel for the flash to make its color match the Christmas tree lights
And yet, the OP's latest image looks great in terms of white balance. Yes, the ambient light is very yellow/orange/redish but that's okay as long as the subject is correctly balanced, which it is. This sort of tungsten illumination of the background sets the mood and I think it's exactly what the OP was going for. Gels are totally unnecessary here.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I made some adjustments per the recommendations. The problem I am having now is having the kid stay still. I am getting ghosting since she is moving. Sample below.

What I did is used a piece of paper to form a tube around my speed-lite and aimed it at the subject. I turned the flash down to its lowest setting.

Put the camera on a tripod...use a remote release for the shutter, and then lots of bribe...this will NOT be a one shot thing...prepare to be there for at least 30 minutes debating. Children photographers have skills acquired from years of experience because children are VERY hard to photograph.

You need a faster shutter speed, and the flash doesn't need to be at its lowest setting.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
As others said, I used the flash for my kid's photo in front of the tree (been our card for 2 years now). I think you can get great results with an external flash (I have the canon one) on even portrait mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography