Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,299 times

Advertisements

Ok, a friend of mine is a conspiracy theorist, one of the really crazy ones who believes that our entire universe is "holographic"

He emailed me a photo he took of his niece. In this photo, she appears to be missing an arm, but she does have two arms. He actually sees this picture as proof that we live in a holographic universe.

In the email he sent me, the subject line was "PROOF that we live in a holographic universe", and in this message, he stated "My niece's arm is really there, but was not being decoded in our three dimensional reality at the time the picture was taken. I suck at photoshop, I could not have done this myself."

Obviously, his beliefs are psychotic, but, I am curious, what would cause her arm not to appear in the photo.
If it helps, the picture was taken on an "Alcatel one touch fierce".

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
There are lots of reasons why an arm might not show up, mostly related to the pose. Without seeing the picture, it's a waste of time to speculate.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,299 times
OK, pic attached.
Blocked out her face in paint, but everything else is unaltered.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello, I'm new here, and have a weird question about a photo-joesnieceedited.jpg  

Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
Default Photo ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gejjr213 View Post
Ok, a friend of mine is a conspiracy theorist, one of the really crazy ones who believes that our entire universe is "holographic"

He emailed me a photo he took of his niece. In this photo, she appears to be missing an arm, but she does have two arms. He actually sees this picture as proof that we live in a holographic universe.

In the email he sent me, the subject line was "PROOF that we live in a holographic universe", and in this message, he stated "My niece's arm is really there, but was not being decoded in our three dimensional reality at the time the picture was taken. I suck at photoshop, I could not have done this myself."

Obviously, his beliefs are psychotic, but, I am curious, what would cause her arm not to appear in the photo.

Thank you.
There are many variables in what the lens will pick
up & transfer to an image.

Here's one I took with my iPhone:

Whether you want to believe it or not, the above photo
has not been altered & no photoshop has been applied.
That's the way the image came out.

Now the one below...the same photo but this time I added
"photoshop" . I kinda went overboard just a tad...

With today's technology anything is possible...

even a "holographic universe"...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 PM

148 posts, read 228,753 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Time to buy a new camera.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
OK, pic attached.
Blocked out her face in paint, but everything else is unaltered.
Clone tool, photoshopping something like that is easy. It's about as easy as it gets. You just pick a part of the grass that has the right color and shade and paint over the arm with it.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM

58 posts, read 156,827 times
Your friend is interesting. If you wish, you can PM me and I'll share with you my email address so that you can send me the original attachment (assuming that it's a larger photo). You don't have to share her likeness... cover her face as you did here. There are some Photoshop forensics techniques that can reveal whether or not the image was altered. Not that hard to do.

Otherwise, can't say how her arm went missing. Ask for proof that her arm exists!

You could also rebut your friend stating that the jpg image is merely a representation of the reality that the camera interpretted. What is observed by the camera might not be an accurate representation of reality. You can go a bit further and state that even our brain's can misinterpret reality. Therefore there's not way to actually "prove" that reality does or does not exist the way that we perceive it to be.

To keep him busy, you can ask him, "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

Old 05-14-2014, 02:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,134 times
Your friend is on drugs...sorry.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:34 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Clone tool, photoshopping something like that is easy. It's about as easy as it gets. You just pick a part of the grass that has the right color and shade and paint over the arm with it.
Yep....pic has clearly been altered.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:05 AM

61,656 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I uploaded this image here:
Image Edited?
and it says that "There is nothing in the file metadata that indicates this file has been edited. Careful editors can fix the data and erase their tracks though, so this means you'll have to look at the photo and decide if it looks correct and not edited."
Also EXIF info does not indicate that this photo was edited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography