Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Don't stop. Wait until I get the camera in action mode
I'm going to bed, so no photo op for you silly goose! I have good books to read. BTW, I'm learning lots from these books. I know now that a JPEG file is a lossy file, and that I lose something even when just opening and closing the file without doing anything to it! Imagine that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Shepsmom Why recomend something you know nothing about!?!
Because everyone whoever uses it always brags about it, and it's free. I've never had a need for it as i have photoshop. I'm not asking you to buy, as far as recommending, i'm not, but trying, yes.

I can't install it, it tells me my software is old an i have to reinstall something on my Mac, i don't think i want to do this.... Sorry.

bibit, did you try reading their help section?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
I use GIMP, and I like it... a lot.

I can't help with your problems, sorry. My only gripe is that GIMP is a great learning experience and I don't have the time to properly learn to use the program.

The tutorials on YouTube are worth the time and save a lot of pointless meanderings. I have never downloaded any of the extras simply because I have not mastered any of the primary downloads yet. I am a beginner.

I met someone who has d/l'd everything in the book GIMP offers and he is a professional IT guy. He loves GIMP.

So, be patient and experiment at will!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I haven't tried this one, but it's pretty new and a coworker who didn't want to invest money in an editor tried it and says she likes it.

Paint.net

Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

I use Photoshop these days, but I do remember trying out an earlier GIMP version back when, and it didn't make me very happy either.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM

I think I'll cough up some (scarce) $$ to get PE6 after all. This GIMP business is giving me a headache. The menus look good, has all the buzz words I hear over hear like layers and mask, etc. etc. The HELP add on is a separate download that is huge because they have all languages in there combined...if there was one just in English, I would, but I have a new laptop, and I'm very diligent about cleaning my hard drive and general housekeeping on the PC. It's bad enough I have RAW files everywhere and triplicates of the same shot as I go from editor to editor, so no. If I have to learn ONE software, I'd just do one instead of 3 or 4. It is not intuitive and the dialog boxes are all on the bar below. They don't all open up simultaneously so I would have had to toggle back and forth between windows and the photo I am editing. It might be good, but you almost need to be an IT guy to navigate this.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM

184 posts, read 491,560 times
I use Gimp as well and am happy with it. I wanted to try some editing out and learn a bit more before paying a ton of money for another program. I've had to play around with it a little bit to figure out how to use the features, but it's fairly easy once you get used to it. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Interesting thread. I have been using GIMP on a daily basis for years. Typically I'm using the latest bloody edge release from the development team. The same is true of UFRAW, the program that can be used as a RAW converter plugin with GIMP.

I'd be happy to try to help people get over some of the bumps in getting started with it, within the range of what I can do. But... I don't use Microsoft Windows, so I can't help with installing it. Since I'm used to using it with the X Windowing System, I probably can't help much with how to have it display properly on anything else. (I typcially use two monitors and have the image window open on one and everything else on the other.)

I use it almost exclusively for photography, not for graphic arts, so there is at least half of what it can do that I know virtually nothing about. But probably all of the simple things that a photographer is likely to do will be familiar. That said, I do have Version 2.4.6 available; but don't even try to talk me into going back to any earlier releases.

No guarantees of course, but lets try! Somebody post an image, explain what you want to do, and describe what happens when you try.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Good respond Floyd, i'm bumping this up. Thank you for your help.

Bibit, are you willing to give it a try?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Good respond Floyd, i'm bumping this up. Thank you for your help.

Bibit, are you willing to give it a try?
Too late...I just got Photoshop Elements 6.0 delivered yesterday. Now I got to figure this one out. Truly, my hair hurts! I am trying to determine how best to learn this. Well I started out with a RAW file, but as you know, not all RAW files are created equal...depends on the camera. Turns out, Panasonic creates what PSE6 recognizes as Photoshop RAW. Well that's a start.

I'm sure that anyone else that would like to learn GIMP would benefit from this very generous offer. I believe he has a Mac...see I'm a Windows gal through and through, so even that would be another learning curve, and truthfully, I'm way over my head in learning curves, both in this and at work so I'd have to pass.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I took GIMP off my computer yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography