Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 10:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times

Advertisements

I looked a little and didn't see another thread that was about good books that have either helped us in our photography, or just was a good read about photography. I have been burning up my Kindle lately downloading some rather good books about photography, as well as downloading the PDF versions of others onto the computer from the authors websites or Amazon.

A few of the ones that stand out to me are:
1) Within the Frame by David duChemin
2) VisionMongers by David duChemin
3) Digital Nature Photography: The art and Science by John and Barbara Gerlach

Anybody else care to share their favorites? I am nearing the end of "Within the Frame" and looking for a new book (even though I just ordered 5 more of David duChemin's PDF short books) what can I say, it is an obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
I always recommend Scott Kelby - his Photoshop books are great so I imagine his photography books are too.

I've also been thinking about getting this one because I have a lot of photos of ancestors (family history, my other passion) - but I don't know if it will just cover the basics which I already know, I want something more advanced: Photoshop Restoration and Retouching Voices That Matter: Amazon.co.uk: Katrin Eismann, Wayne Palmer: Books

Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,816,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I looked a little and didn't see another thread that was about good books that have either helped us in our photography, or just was a good read about photography. I have been burning up my Kindle lately downloading some rather good books about photography, as well as downloading the PDF versions of others onto the computer from the authors websites or Amazon.

A few of the ones that stand out to me are:
1) Within the Frame by David duChemin
2) VisionMongers by David duChemin
3) Digital Nature Photography: The art and Science by John and Barbara Gerlach

Anybody else care to share their favorites? I am nearing the end of "Within the Frame" and looking for a new book (even though I just ordered 5 more of David duChemin's PDF short books) what can I say, it is an obsession.
THIS is an exciting thread for me! I am a reader and lover of books and have and/or have read many on photography. I will ponder this and report back some that have helped and/or motivated me.

Have to say, Bydand, that I have all three of those your mentioned, and all are excellent. I am especially partial to Within the Frame, my current favorite, and refer to it frequently for inspiration.

Also a fan of Scott Kelby's books and Rick Sammon's too.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,580 times
Understanding Exposure and The Hot Shoe Diaries are good ones. I never grow tired of Glen E. Friedman photograph books.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
I Have many books, but still need to finish them. I love to take them camping, so I'm saving them for this summer. I know its not a book, but I actually learn a lot by watching videos. Right now I'm watchin videos on You-Tube by Bryan Peterson....seems I can learn more by actually seeing... and being shown. I will look for the books you mentioned Bydand!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,816,847 times
For those of you who have "done it all" and feel stuck in a rut, try some books by Freeman Patterson. He may get you to experimenting and thinking outside the box.

I own two of his books. The first one, Photography for the joy of it, was given to me by someone moving out of state. The other one I bought and is titled Photographing the World Around You: A Visual Design Workshop For Film and Digital Photography. I like the second one a lot, but there are more.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,046,199 times
Seconding all of Scott Kelby's books.

One that I found quite interesting to read is Hollywood Portraits by Christopher Nisperos. If you've done portrait work before it may be a bit basic, but the unique photos and the history make up for that in my opinion.

I also enjoyed Practical Artistry: Light and Exposure for Digital Photographers by Harold Davis. Presentation is straight-forward and content delves into the whole "experience" of light. While he uses Nikon gear, he does not foist it on you, but identifies settings based upon the light available to you at the shoot.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i like the scott kelby books too,... i also love those british photography magazines i get at barnes and noble. great tutorials ..
the magazines can be a little pricey at 10 to 12 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography