Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,875 times

Advertisements

I have been using the free Picasa web album site for the last couple of years to display/share most of my pictures, but I have never been too happy with it because it seems to compress the images a bit, where I see noise or distortion in some areas of sharp contrast where the original image that I uploaded did not (even when not using any of Picasa's tools to make any edits to the images). So my question is, what are some of the free or cheap sites you would recommend that don't degrade the picture quality on your uploaded images? Or do even the best ones out there do some sort of compression on the images?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM

106,916 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Smugmug is what i use. Its not free. I use a smugmug pro account. I get to store my photos in full resolution with no limit.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
For online sharing, I find PhotoBucket sufficient

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,826,961 times
I use Photobucket for sharing and uploading to City-Data but have had a number of albums on Webshots for years. I don't particularly like Webshots but keep paying because I no longer have the originals of some of those photos. I wish I had gone with Flickr and still might.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,734,620 times
I use Photobucket for linking my pics to here, but all my pics that I have online are on Flickr...

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Smugmug is what i use. Its not free. I use a smugmug pro account. I get to store my photos in full resolution with no limit.
Can you post a pro show gold file to SmugMug Pro? I don't do video with my cameras but I'd like the option of jazzing up my slideshows. I have the lesser SmugMug account, now.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM

13,239 posts, read 21,865,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can you post a pro show gold file to SmugMug Pro? I don't do video with my cameras but I'd like the option of jazzing up my slideshows. I have the lesser SmugMug account, now.
Maybe, what's it's format? Smugmug does handle video in a variety of formats. Smugmug also has their own slideshow widgets you can incorporate on your site.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
but I have never been too happy with it because it seems to compress the images a bit, where I see noise or distortion in some areas of sharp contrast where the original image that I uploaded did not
If you are viewing a very large image in a browser that exceeds the dimensions available in the space where it's being rendered it will be re-sampled/scaled. The "what" depends on your browser and the options you have selected. Typically in the past they all stripped out rows of pixels which will be very evident on angled sections of contrasting color, you'll get a stair stepping effect. There's options now for true resizing.

Try saving the image, compare the file size to your original.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are viewing a very large image in a browser that exceeds the dimensions available in the space where it's being rendered it will be re-sampled/scaled. The "what" depends on your browser and the options you have selected. Typically in the past they all stripped out rows of pixels which will be very evident on angled sections of contrasting color, you'll get a stair stepping effect. There's options now for true resizing.

Try saving the image, compare the file size to your original.
Yeah, I have been doing that. I resize the images in GIMP to something that would be about half of my screen size at 100% size, and at that point the image still looks really clean. But when I upload it to Picasa and then view the full size version of the image, I get those little bits of noise in high contrast areas (such as where the edge of a snow-capped mountain meets a deep blue sky), noise that is not in my original resized image. I figured it was Picasa doing further compression that other- better- sites wouldn't do.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
If it's displaying the full size of the image what I posted above doesn't apply, it's only when the image is larger than the display area that the browser will do anything to it.

Doing some quick searches there is option in Picassa to keep it original, another article cited issues where if you have edited and image and then upload it before saving it compress it which it has too because. I'd look through the options, do some searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography