Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to do a little poll/opinion. Which is better City of Pittsburgh or the suburbs? Why?

I currently live in East Pittsburgh.My lease is up in September. I plan on moving into the city (somewhere in the East Side) because there is so much more forme to do (concerts, restaraunts, arts, parks, festivals, etc.) I have told certain people I associate with and family members (who live in the suburbs and rural areas) and I can't seem to convince them WHY I would want tolive there. They seem to be under the impression that there is so much trouble in the city.

My question is why do some poeple who live in the suburbs and rural areas hate the city without knowing anything about it?

Has anyone else noticed a city vs. suburbs thing going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Which is better City of Pittsburgh or the suburbs? Why?
Which is better is going to depend on what your values and needs are. I have always lived within the city limits of Pittsburgh, and I love it. I like being closer to work and being closer to the cultural stuff and amenities that I like.

There are some people who let the local news ("if it bleeds, it leads") color their view of the city, so they think that as soon as you cross a certain border, you're going to get carjacked and mugged, which we know isn't the case. If you want to be in the city, be in the city.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
As an aside, there is a large variety of suburbs along many different dimensions, so it never makes much sense to me to treat them as a unit.

More generally, I don't think one can speak in terms of absolutes when it comes to this issue--different people have different preferences, lifestyles, and so on, so the best place for you as an individual may not be the best place for someone else. For that reason, I don't think you should care if some other person doesn't get your decision. Maybe they are ill-informed, but even if they were perfectly informed they still may not share your preferences. Which is fine--we can't all live in the same place anyway.

As for why some people fall into a City versus suburbs dynamic--some of it is just general human nature (people tend to overgeneralize, treat matters of taste as matters of fact, defend/rationalize their life decisions with a lot of emotion, and so on). But there is also the basic issue that while the City and suburbs are mutually beneficial, they also often compete for resources in various ways. So I think that rivalry over resources is often operating in the back of people's minds in these discussions.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:59 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As an aside, there is a large variety of suburbs along many different dimensions, so it never makes much sense to me to treat them as a unit.
I like places originally built as streetcar suburbs. They have cool architecture, maybe a garage, and just enough yard to have a small garden and a quick mow. But I don't know if that's considered 'city' or 'suburb' in Pittsburgh. West of the Mississippi, when people refer to 'the city,' they're generally referring to these types of places.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
I'm a suburban guy, and have been for 30 years, but I can understand the appeal of living within the city limits for many people. Certainly, there are some lovely areas and beautiful homes in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and Point Breeze.
However, I refuse to live in a city where I am taxed even more than where I live ( Upper St. Clair), and be "represented" by the useless political hacks in charge of city "government." Those clowns would have a hard time holding down a job in the private sector, that is unless their brother, uncle, cousin, etc. could hook them up.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Taxes in the city are generally a little higher

Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I like places originally built as streetcar suburbs. They have cool architecture, maybe a garage, and just enough yard to have a small garden and a quick mow. But I don't know if that's considered 'city' or 'suburb' in Pittsburgh. West of the Mississippi, when people refer to 'the city,' they're generally referring to these types of places.
Some of the once streetcar suburbs are inside the City limits, and some outside, and of the ones outside, some are less continuous than others with the City's neighborhoods (it depends on the local topography).

Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
There are many city neighborhoods which aren't much different than suburban neighborhoods. For example, Esplen is in the city and McKees Rocks is a suburb. You would be hard pressed to know the difference between the two, otherwise. Both are located about the same distance from downtown and have similar architecture. Also, take Sharspburg or Etna. Both seem very much like city neighborhoods, with much of the same architecture as Troy Hill, but are outside of the city limits.

Meanwhile, Windgap is a city neighborhood and full of 1950s-1970s ranch style houses with big yards and garages.

I guess my point is you can have a city lifestyle in a suburb, and a suburban lifestyle in the city, if you desire it.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM

398 posts, read 702,107 times
We had every intention of staying within the city and moving to Squirrel Hill or Point Breeze when our young children were ready for Pre-K, until we started really researching Pittsburgh Public Schools. No way. To the suburbs we go.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,114 times
I prefer the city. Or, city-ish neighborhoods like Regent Square and Point Breeze. I also prefer the immediate South Hills/Rt. 19 corridor- Mt. Lebo area. Alas, all of the above's property taxes have forced me to ditch my city roots and begin searching for a home in Washington County. Moving just across the line automatically increases my buying power by 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh