Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM

398 posts, read 702,237 times

Advertisements

Woman dies after being struck by SUV

As usual, the driver is hardly an upstanding citizen who had an uncharacteristic and tragic moment of distraction. It was a piece of human garbage who managed to rack up an astonishing number of reckless driving charges in at most four years of having a license. This time he ran a stop sign, most likely high on pot, and mowed down a mother walking her two kids in a stroller.

But I wanted to talk more generally about the pattern of pedestrian vehicular assault and manslaughter on Rt. 19 in Mt. Lebanon. You could claim that this one incident is isolated, except that it's not: according to KDKA, 3 people have been killed and 44 (44!) hit on that stretch in just the last 5 years! That is insane. Why is a community that prides itself on "walkability" and in fact requires kids to walk to school not furiously agitating to make its roads safer for itself and its kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
The news report also failed to say that she was texting when it all happened - but you know how television is - they only tell the part that they want you to hear.
If the problem was that bad on that stretch of road, why wait until now to fix it?

I think if more parents were more responsible and taught their children how to properly cross the road, less people would be getting hit and killed.
But I see people everyday, walking around in a trance, with their eyes glued to the phone - texting while they walk across the street and when they are walking across a parking lot - and they don't care if they get ran over - the phone is more important.

I think they ought to make a law that says that if you get ran over while texting that it is your own dumb fault and that the driver of the car shouldn't be held liable.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
The news report also failed to say that she was texting when it all happened
Give us a citation for this, please.

Quote:
As usual, the driver is hardly an upstanding citizen who had an uncharacteristic and tragic moment of distraction. It was a piece of human garbage who managed to rack up an astonishing number of reckless driving charges in at most four years of having a license. This time he ran a stop sign, most likely high on pot, and mowed down a mother walking her two kids in a stroller.
I'm hearing Dr. Phil in my head asking his parents "Whah does he still have a car?" Right now he sounds like a spoiled rich kid whose parents aren't paying attention.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-30-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
The news report also failed to say that she was texting when it all happened - but you know how television is - they only tell the part that they want you to hear.
Where did you get that info? I didn't see it in the paper or anywhere on-line.

From what the article says, the kid that hit her was in the wrong and has a history to back it up.

[LEFT]Police said the SUV failed to stop at a stop sign as Mr. Cope turned right onto Washington Road from Beadling when Ms. Styles was struck around noon on Monday.

[/LEFT]

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
We have an odd tendency in our society to treat cases like this as the product of unavoidable and irreducible risk, not issues of public policy. And of course acknowledging the magnitude of deaths and injuries associated with cars would challenge many common assumptions and assertions about what sort of lifestyle and living circumstances are most conducive to the physical safety of ourselves and our children.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 AM

199 posts, read 521,275 times
Quote:
The news report also failed to say that she was texting when it all happened
Never heard that. At all.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Oh, and she was jogging with a double-stroller. It isn't entirely impossible she was also texting at the same time, but I think it is reasonable to require a lot more proof than a bare assertion before accepting that claim.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I figured there was something else to the story. It just didn't make sense to me that the driver just plowed into her.

I feel very sorry for her family.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I figured there was something else to the story. It just didn't make sense to me that the driver just plowed into her.
It happens all the time, particularly when drivers are distracted or intoxicated. They focus in on looking for other cars, and just don't see pedestrians, bicyclists, and so on.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
I think they ought to make a law that says that if you get ran over while texting that it is your own dumb fault and that the driver of the car shouldn't be held liable.
Hmmm, a little insensitive, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh