Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Unless it has dramatically changed since I took the hunters safety course, there is nothing in there to prepare one to properly handle a gun in a panic situation and subdue an armed attacker.
It teaches one how to properly handle a gun. As far as a panic situation, if one panics and can't handle the situation, pretty sure they're going to run the other way...or end up being a shot bystander.

Assuming everybody that carries a gun can't handle a panic situation is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It teaches one how to properly handle a gun. As far as a panic situation, if one panics and can't handle the situation, pretty sure they're going to run the other way...or end up being a shot bystander.

Assuming everybody that carries a gun can't handle a panic situation is unrealistic.
I would assume if you are standing in Macy’s picking out socks and all of sudden someone starts shooting at you, the majority of individuals wouldn’t default into Van Damme mode and be able to handle the situation.

Yes I can handle a gun while hunting or at a shooting range, but being able to react, think clearly, and formulate a clear enough chain of thoughts to actually achieve anything when caught off guard in a situation that is not normally full of shooting is not very likely.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I would assume if you are standing in Macy’s picking out socks and all of sudden someone starts shooting at you, the majority of individuals wouldn’t default into Van Damme mode and be able to handle the situation.

Yes I can handle a gun while hunting or at a shooting range, but being able to react, think clearly, and formulate a clear enough chain of thoughts to actually achieve anything when caught off guard in a situation that is not normally full of shooting is not very likely.
Anybody that carries a gun should be be prepared to use it or they shouldn't carry it.

Again, the assumption that everybody has the same inability as themselves, isn't realistic.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Anybody that carries a gun should be be prepared to use it or they shouldn't carry it.

Again, the assumption that everybody has the same inability as themselves, isn't realistic.
A lot of SHOULD in that situation, and no ability to tell if they actually can use it properly. However in the long run it is better to risk that some might not know how to properly use it just in case a few may.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
A lot of SHOULD in that situation, and no ability to tell if they actually can use it properly. However in the long run it is better to risk that some might not know how to properly use it just in case a few may.
Many assume that others can't do something because they can't or don't do it themselves. Most everybody knows what happens when one assumes.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Many assume that others can't do something because they can't or don't do it themselves. Most everybody knows what happens when one assumes.
Not me, there are millions of things I can’t or won’t do that I know others can. I am not anti-gun or even against people carrying them. What I am against is the belief that there are all of these people that are able to step in and save the day when a situation arises.

Believe in gun rights because it is a right, but don’t stand behind some mythical Clint Eastwoodesque notion that some shaky handed Mr. Magoo who took his gun safety course in 1965 and knows how to properly handle a weapon is ready to confront the gunman and save the day.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:16 PM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
You are assuming that someone carrying will have the ability. When you assume this and bystanders are hit by a reactive bystander who does not have the cool, calculating skill you assume, additional victims are injured.

I realize you will just restate the same flawed logic for the fifth time, but repetition does not make it true. Just because you think there are people ready and capable of reacting in the situation doesn't make it true. You are assuming an ability that is most often seen in the movies but rarely in the real world. People make mistakes and concealed carry requires little more than a background check. Why should we have faith in random untrained individuals?

Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
You are assuming that someone carrying will have the ability. When you assume this and bystanders are hit by a reactive bystander who does not have the cool, calculating skill you assume, additional victims are injured.

I realize you will just restate the same flawed logic for the fifth time, but repetition does not make it true. Just because you think there are people ready and capable of reacting in the situation doesn't make it true. You are assuming an ability that is most often seen in the movies but rarely in the real world. People make mistakes and concealed carry requires little more than a background check. Why should we have faith in random untrained individuals?
And you're assuming they won't. I'm also not saying 100% will have the ability but I will say the majority will have the ability and in a life or death situation it's certainly better to take a chance.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
And you're assuming they won't. I'm also not saying 100% will have the ability but I will say the majority will have the ability and in a life or death situation it's certainly better to take a chance.
That chance you are willing to take could change someone’s life situation into a death situation because the person was not able to handle the situation. It could also change someone’s death situation into a life situation.

Maybe we should have random violence shooter training and testing before you get a permit to carry. You have to take a test before you can drive a car, so why not before you can carry a gun in public.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Not me, there are millions of things I can’t or won’t do that I know others can. I am not anti-gun or even against people carrying them. What I am against is the belief that there are all of these people that are able to step in and save the day when a situation arises.

Believe in gun rights because it is a right, but don’t stand behind some mythical Clint Eastwoodesque notion that some shaky handed Mr. Magoo who took his gun safety course in 1965 and knows how to properly handle a weapon is ready to confront the gunman and save the day.
That's your opinion and until proven otherwise I'll take a chance on somebody being able to handle the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh