Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

This is pretty disturbing. Teen shoots another teen and takes a selfie? I didn't know Jeanette was a bad area? I don't know much about it out that way, but is it bad? Glad they caught him. Guess it isn't very hard if you show all your work. Depressing stuff!

Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took 'selfie' with body | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,024 times
This kid seemed to be behaving more like a serial killer than anything. I don't think it has much to do with Jeannette being a bad area. He took a souvenir (the picture), bragged about it without showing any sort of remorse or feeling, and explicitly stated that he liked it and wanted to do it again. The kid was obviously mentally ill.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,052,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
digging into the victim will give a clearer picture to this case than 'black kid shoots innocent white kid in face'.

Not saying it isn't disturbing to murder someone, let alone take a selfie afterwards..The suspect clearly needs put away, but its certainly no racially motivated murder.
I am all about due process, so we can't know his true motivations at this point? He stated, in a text message, "Ryan was not the last one". Did he plan to kill again?

I am not secretly hoping it to be racially motivated. Quite the contrary. But if the roles were reversed, this news story would take on a life of its own by now.

And I hope they figure out how in the world this dope got a gun.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
I don't know where these young people get the idea that taking a selfie with the body is a good idea.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,564 times
Little press? It was the lead story . . .

Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
digging into the victim will give a clearer picture to this case than 'black kid shoots innocent white kid in face'.
Doesn't matter if the unarmed victim is "innocent" or not. That loser shot him dead and took his life. Who cares about why? There is no excuse to do that period.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:29 AM

Remember the days when Satan was to blame?

We don't know all the details. People attribute mental illness to something like this. It's not ALWAYS the case. There have been serial murderers who were sane, by legal definition. Sometimes there are people that simply do not have empathy. Why is that a mental illness, and the person in your workplace who is so easy going and never perturbed NOT mentally ill?

The Columbine shooters were psychopaths, but not necessarily insane.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Remember the days when Satan was to blame?

We don't know all the details. People attribute mental illness to something like this. It's not ALWAYS the case. There have been serial murderers who were sane, by legal definition. Sometimes there are people that simply do not have empathy. Why is that a mental illness, and the person in your workplace who is so easy going and never perturbed NOT mentally ill?

The Columbine shooters were psychopaths, but not necessarily insane.
Plenty of people still blame satan/lack of religion.
I agree that it is not necessarily mental illness, per se, that drives killing. I do agree that lack of empathy is a problem, and a lot of that comes from early childhood trauma and attachment issues.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 AM

86 posts, read 96,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Little press? It was the lead story . . .
I saw it posted by several national (Gawker, Washington Post) twitter accounts yesterday as well.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Plenty of people still blame satan/lack of religion.
I agree that it is not necessarily mental illness, per se, that drives killing. I do agree that lack of empathy is a problem, and a lot of that comes from early childhood trauma and attachment issues.
Do you know of Sean Sellers? To his dying day, Sellers believed it was the real presence of evil that had him do what he did. He was never found to be insane, and if you heard him speak, seemed pretty reasonable - neither overly intelligent, nor someone who seemed lowly educated. Just a normal middle class white protestant.

I think there ARE cases where a killer had NO childhood trauma. There might be some merit to the argument that society's constant images of violence and aggression do shape someone's conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh