Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
As many of you know, our family had to leave Pittsburgh (after an all-too-brief sojourn). We headed to Detroit (to mitigate costs and be with my husband's family). So let me ask you this: I am a very qualified woman, with over 20 years of legal/administrative experience (some of which in highly desirable areas - like intellectual property - ), and in seven months I sent out over 300 resumes in Pittsburgh. I got nothing! (So yes, all I really wanted to do was open my own Taco truck, but I was willing to give in to a 100+ per minute typing speed!) Anyway, I go to a city that has the second highest unemployment rate in the land; I send out resumes my first week, and in 10 days I have a job. And not in a stifling office environment, but as a catering facilitator!

I had hoped that we would be here a short while to recoup, and then we would be able to return to our (newly) beloved Pittsburgh. I mean, I have lived everywhere: Southern California, Colorado, New Hampshire, Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts (and even the south of England for a while). I don't know why I fell so hard for Pittsburgh . . . (well yes, I could give you a number of reasons, and have in prior postings) . . . but am I going to be stuck in this flat wasteland simply because I could get a job here?

Basically, I guess, I'm just venting. I'm pleased to have a place to go each day (and get paid in the process). But I'm so frustrated that I found a place I loved that didn't love me back.

So . . . For all of you who are fortunate enough to live in (and around) Pittsburgh and be employed, I offer this: Be happy (or even grateful) that you can remain in a city that is diverse; that offers so many amenities; and that may be the perfect city environment in which to raise a child. I may have a job (finally), but I have an 11 year old in which I had to enroll in the Detroit Public School System. After being set for Sterrett Classic Academy for my boy (feeder school for Minadeo), I am totally bummed!

And yes, I guess this is the end of my "I can't sleep at all" rant.

You are a wonderful group of people.
DETROIT? Ahmm....that is my home state. I would highly advise against it. If you cant find work in Pittsburgh, you will have a much more difficult time in Detroit...I think.

Ahmm...plus enrolling a kid inthe Detroit Public School System? Arrr...it has one of the worst turn-out rates in the countries.

I am not entirely saying this on statistics, although those are there to support it as well, but I am also originally from the greater Detroit area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
DETROIT? Ahmm....that is my home state. I would highly advise against it. If you cant find work in Pittsburgh, you will have a much more difficult time in Detroit...I think.

Ahmm...plus enrolling a kid inthe Detroit Public School System? Arrr...it has one of the worst turn-out rates in the countries.

I am not entirely saying this on statistics, although those are there to support it as well, but I am also originally from the greater Detroit area.
She got a job in Detroit!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
good post you got rep. congratulations.
in the eye of the hurricane there is peace.
(mexican expression)

Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
Thank you, Detroitlove, for giving me a reality check. I should not complain. And I should not call Detroit a "wasteland" just because I don't want to be here! I do SO worry about the schools. I have a very skinny child who (even though he isn't) looks like a puny white boy. My husband and I have tried to find a public school where we don't think he'll be beaten up, and we haven't had a lot of luck. Every single school we've checked out is 99 percent black (and some without the requisite Asian! :-) So I'm concerned. He knows he's African/American, but I'm afraid my blond, green-eyed child is not going to be accepted anywhere he goes.
thank you and you're welcome. just read over my comment didn't mean to call you an ass lol. I guess we both just got caught up in our feelings. But I'm pretty sure your child will be fine. You just have to pick the right school. Bad children will pick on anybody smh. Half my family looks like your son and is African American as well. Did you try schools in Southwest? I hope you have luck with your job search for Pittsburgh. If MI economy is slowly turning around I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh will.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:

you're from the Greater Detroit area??? lmao at some of you. You do realize MI/Detroit economy is turning around? you do also know that all schools within city limits are NOT DPS?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
you're from the Greater Detroit area??? lmao at some of you. You do realize MI/Detroit economy is turning around? you do also know that all schools within city limits are NOT DPS?
You always make valid points. Actually, I follow your posts when I visit the Detroit Forum, and always love your positive Detroit spirit.

I'm actually just a real big fan of the City of Pittsburgh more than anything.

Detroit does have some gorgeous neighborhoods within the city limits, it is an incredibly easy city to drive around in, etc.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
Totally sympathize with the OP. I have spent 5 years looking for jobs. I am (over) educated, and skilled enough to do many things relating to science and IT. I finally decided that science was never going to lead to a good career, went back to (community college) school (way below my education level), got an internship job at $12 an hour for 6 months, again WAYYYY below my level, but it was a job...All throughout, sending out qualified resumes responses to job ads I would be well qualified for. Nothing, zero, zilch.

Finally...started getting smart, started networking with people, and I cold called an associate of my fathers (based on a reference from a guy who contracts for my father)...a week later I'm offered a good job in either hawaii or pittsburgh. I am choosing pittsburgh given cost of living (I can't pay the rent in Hawaii on this salary, whereas I can get a house in pittsburgh).

So....long story, keep with it, network, identify your core competencies...turns out hanging around my fathers workplace and helping him throughout the years really paid off. Its not what I anticipate doing even a year ago, but at least i have a job and a good career trajectory. Sending in resumes had less than a 1% hit rate for me for jobs I was well qualified for (but lacking critical experience in that exact role), in terms of interviews. I only ever got two meaningful interviews out of 100s of apps. Calling people lead to a job very quickly. Lesson learned for me, and this job is a perfect intersection of my core competencies.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
NewHope321: Is it possible for you to live in the Suburbs down there in the Detroit Area? I love the Detroit area - except for the 24/7 rush hour that seems to exist.

One reason you found employment quicker is simply a numbers game. There is a Huge population difference between Detroit and Pittsburgh. That means more opertunities even if there are that many more applicants.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM

78 posts, read 140,829 times
Thank you for all who responded! We've tried to get our little mutant into Detroit Merit and Detroit Edison -- both magnet schools. We're on waiting lists (but his uniform is ready!). He will actually be going to the Ronald Brown Academy (not our first choice) simply because he has friends on this street who go there. When you're the new kid on the block, that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

I don't know what to say about wanting to stay in Detroit-proper. So much of it depresses me. Here we live on a wonderfully groomed block of homes, and yet there is so much wood in the windows of homes that have been abandoned! It makes me sad.

I think about going the few blocks to Grosse Point -- the difference that would make in schools! And yet I don't want to offend my husband's family who has managed to produce (from this very city -- albeit NOT school district) a professor at NYU, an RN at a local hospital, and a law school graduate.) Maybe I'll figure it all out, maybe not. I just hope my child won't be the victim of my indecision.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You always make valid points. Actually, I follow your posts when I visit the Detroit Forum, and always love your positive Detroit spirit.

I'm actually just a real big fan of the City of Pittsburgh more than anything.

Detroit does have some gorgeous neighborhoods within the city limits, it is an incredibly easy city to drive around in, etc.
thank you. Thats fine. Do you stay in Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh