Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

408 posts, read 991,871 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I still don't get how to read these signs. Is there a definiteive guide somewhere?

Nothing written on the meter about the enforcement days, and the sign says Monday-Friday 4 hour parking. Yet I parked here on a Saturday, and get an expired meter ticket? Are the sign and the meter not linked? Cause the sign leads me to believe the 4 hour limit applied only to Mon-Fri, and the meter says there's a 4 hour limit, so it would make me think its only enforced mon-fri..

Also, what does it mean when the sign says "Permit Area _" on it.. That means the conditions on the sign apply unless you have a permit, right (not you aren't allowed to park there if you don't have a permit)?

Last but not least, do you have to pay to park if you go to the parking court to contest a ticket? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:51 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
The sign means you aren't allowed to park for more than four hours Monday through Friday, whether you feed the meter or not. It's to keep people like store employees from taking up a parking space for the whole day, while customers can't find a space to park. Feeding the meter is a separate obligation. I agree, its confusing.

My understanding of the permit areas is that only residents are issued permits, to keep non-residents (be they customers, employees, or Park-N-Ride style commuters), from parking on congested neighborhood streets, but I'd have thought that the metered spaces would be physically different spaces than permitted ones. Is there a place with meters and permit parking signs posted at the same parking spot?

No, you don't have to pay for a parking space if you go to court to contest a ticket. But you'll get another ticket...

Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM
lde

53 posts, read 119,433 times
Beautiful pic. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 AM

By the way, my Dad designed the street cleaning sign pictured when he was with the Public Works Department. That was in the late 60's or very early 70's. Back then, they swept the streets every week, April through Novemember. The sweeper pictured is an Austin Western model that dates back to the mid 50's. So, at least all you city taxpayers can't complain about them wasting your tax dollars on fancy design firms constantly updating their graphics, or keeping the streets too clean...

Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM
lde

53 posts, read 119,433 times
Cool. He did a good job.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
By the way, my Dad designed the street cleaning sign pictured when he was with the Public Works Department. That was in the late 60's or very early 70's. Back then, they swept the streets every week, April through Novemember. The sweeper pictured is an Austin Western model that dates back to the mid 50's. So, at least all you city taxpayers can't complain about them wasting your tax dollars on fancy design firms constantly updating their graphics, or keeping the streets too clean...
That's actually quite awesome, it's a very iconic graphic in my opinion. I'm not sure but I think I've even seen it used in other nearby boroughs. Sometimes you find something that works and you stick with it, just like the "Bus Stop" signs. Of course I was told by Jon Robison of the Allegheny County Transit Council that apparently PAT wanted to change the colors of those to coincide with the different colored routes with the TDP to which ACTC basically responded, "hell no!".

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
No, I haven't seen meters in a permit area. I was just confused about them too. So if its a permit area, you can still park there, you just have to follow the criteria on the sign, right? And permit holders are exempt from that?

As for the meters, where does it tell me when they are enforced? Are you just supposed to assume 24 hour enforcement if it doesn't say otherwise?

How much is the parking at the garage next to the court house? Is there street parking? I mean, does it make fighting a ticket basically pointless?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
the enforcement hours for on street meters in pgh are pretty typical; most cities and towns have the same days and times. there are quite a few lots that are patrolled 24 hours a day, but no on street spaces are.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pgh...erenforcehours

Meter Enforcement Hours

On-street parking meters are patrolled Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Parking Authority off-street lots are patrolled with specific hours posted such as 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Last but not least, do you have to pay to park if you go to the parking court to contest a ticket?
There's metered street parking nearby. My husband manages to get a ticket every time he goes to contest a parking ticket
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
So cool - thanks for sharing this with us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
So if its a permit area, you can still park there, you just have to follow the criteria on the sign, right? And permit holders are exempt from that?
Yes except that even permit holders will be ticketed if they park when it's a street sweeping day. Other than that, though, permit holders can park for 48 hours without moving their car, for example, whereas non-permit holders might get a ticket if they're there longer than whatever the sign says. Residents also have the option of purchasing one visitor pass so workmen or guests can prop it on their dashboard and not get ticketed.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's actually quite awesome, it's a very iconic graphic in my opinion. I'm not sure but I think I've even seen it used in other nearby boroughs.

I was really tickled to see the Pittsburgh Public Works guys are still putting them up, obviously brand new.

When Dad left the city, he went to Monaca, here in Beaver County. He changed the sweeper graphic to resemble the Elgin model that the boro owned, but kept the rest the same. Whether any other local towns use something similar, I don't know.

And thanks, all, for the compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh