Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My vote goes to Troy Hill. Basically safe and stable, conveniently located, lots of upside potential, basically just needs some elbow grease and some aesthetic rehabbing. Three years ago my vote went to Polish Hill but it sounds like PH has taken off since then.
Totally. Troy Hill could take off...if you could get rid of the section 8 trash that has moved in. It used to be a very exclusive neighborhood. But, there are still enough original residents who care about the area to salvage things. The place could go either way though unfortunately. I'm rooting for it because my mother lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Yes. I was well on my way to buying a home in Carnegie last year when I 'discovered' Swissvale with a similar housing stock 50-75% cheaper. All I was looking for basically was a livable home with easy bus access to downtown and convenient freeway access.

I was a little bit apprehensive at first with all I'd heard about Swissvale, but after moving in I started noticing the little things that made me more comfortable - the kids waiting by themselves for the bus; valuables left on porches unsecured (my friends in Highland Park have to chain their porch furniture to their porch); all the windows left open in Summer when no one is home and at night; neighbors that clean up street litter, etc. I've walked the three blocks home from the busway at 1:30am and the borough seems quiet and peaceful.

One caveat - the only reason property taxes are so low right now is due to the depressed value of the housing. If the area ever started to gentrify I imagine they would skyrocket with the millage rates.
Good to hear. It seems that south of the Parkway serves as some sort of psychological barrier. Sure, there are some bad influences from Rankin and Braddock, but over time people may discover Swissvale and surrounding areas as they are discovering Greenfield. May take a lot of time though.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Yes. I was well on my way to buying a home in Carnegie last year when I 'discovered' Swissvale with a similar housing stock 50-75% cheaper . . .
50-75% cheaper than Carnegie??? Holy Cow, they must be giving away houses over there. Carnegie isn't exactly lighting up the real estate market itself.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
I worked in Swissvale for 2 years and it's really not a place I liked hanging out at. Maybe there's nice parts somewhere? I worked by the houses that were uninhabited and falling down which were right down the street from brand new Section 8 homes. Where I was at looked really shady.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
For a small city Swissvale has a lot of different sections (including one in Regent Square, with half of the commercial district), so it is tough to generalize.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM

17 posts, read 52,332 times
Swissvale definitely deserves to be on this list. Swissvale suffers from a negative reputation although a lot has changed over the past few years. Swissvale is seeing a lot of renovations. There is a new "green" housing redevelopment initiative near the Roslyn Street Station of the busway that has made a great improvement to that area. There were many abandoned and blighted bars and properties that were demolished and a new park has resulted, linking Monongahela Avenue and Palmer Avenue.

Swissvale has a very active and engaged community - from the Regent Square Civic Association to the Swissvale Economic Development Corporation. Residents in all areas of Swissvale care about their community and they are working hard to insure that troubled areas are stablized and the community remains a great and vital place for families. Swissvale has an inordinate number of active community organizations - that provide financial support for family and youth programs. Swissvale has recently upgraded its main park and recreational facility and it is a multi-community asset.

Swissvale has invested a lot in the past two or three years on code enforcement and has a model program that has kept landlords accountable for the condition of their properties and the actions of their tenants. Swissvale's Public Works Department is excellent and keeps the streets in good repair and its public areas clean and presentable.

Given its location, proximity to the City and transportation linkages, Swissvale should not be underrated for much longer.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Totally. Troy Hill could take off...if you could get rid of the section 8 trash that has moved in. It used to be a very exclusive neighborhood. But, there are still enough original residents who care about the area to salvage things. The place could go either way though unfortunately. I'm rooting for it because my mother lives there.
i was looking to move there. thankfully, i didnt - i would guess last winter made it virtually isolated (rialto was closed off). on a map, it appears that getting out of Troy Hill the other way (down to the north shore) takes a while - and with the conditions of last winter, would also be an adventure.

i am still very interested in settling down in Troy Hill and sprucing up a property...or two...or three (all adjacent - controlling who would move in next door.)

Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i would guess last winter made it virtually isolated (rialto was closed off). on a map, it appears that getting out of Troy Hill the other way (down to the north shore) takes a while - and with the conditions of last winter, would also be an adventure.
Phineas street? It's not bad at all. I've never had problems with that road even in the dead of winter. Rialto street is horrible during the winter. Don't even go near it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i am still very interested in settling down in Troy Hill and sprucing up a property...or two...or three (all adjacent - controlling who would move in next door.)
Please do. The more good people that move there the less the section 8 garbage will continue to infiltrate the area.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Teen Shot, Killed In Troy Hill - Local News - Pittsburgh, PA - ThePittsburghChannel.com - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39366323/ns/local_news-pittsburgh_pa/ - broken link)

Christ. Here we go....

Old 09-26-2010, 07:45 PM

97 posts, read 165,384 times
Dormont, anyone? Just a couple of steps to the T, an escape from City Wage tax, and some very nice homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh