Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM

85 posts, read 105,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Edit: Oh, and I do understand the point about central air. We're fine with attic fans and window units, but I can see the appeal of central air, and it is indeed a challenge to retrofit it in a older house without ducts. In fact we've looked at it a couple times and always decided against doing the retrofit--part of that is because we are OK without it, but part is the expense and downsides of retrofitting.
Yeah, I love it. I take a headache prophylactic called topiramate, and that drug is extremely anticholinergic, and causes heat rash as well. The AC is wooonnderful in the summer. Combine that with avoiding peak sun and I'm all good.

My dad got a super-old colonial house when I was younger (like, much older than anything we are discussing in this thread) and had to have it gutted and install the whole-house AC. He's like me, can't sleep without AC. It was a very involved project, as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodius1
Somehow, the you and most people seem to construe not wanting an 80 year old house as meaning that I want a new construction. In fact, I wouldn't even consider anything built in the last 10 years because they are so shoddily. 30-40 years old is fine, if its in good condition.

I also said that I'm not interested in North Hills or far suburbs.
It's pretty difficult to come up with suggestions because your criteria are pretty exacting. Do you have any other feedback for our suggestions so far?

To re-cap, the city neighborhoods we suggested are:

-Shadyside
-Lawrenceville
-East Liberty
-North Side/North Shore
-South Side
-Summerset at Frick Park
-Downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodius1 View Post
Somehow, the you and most people seem to construe not wanting an 80 year old house as meaning that I want a new construction. In fact, I wouldn't even consider anything built in the last 10 years because they are so shoddily. 30-40 years old is fine, if its in good condition.

Have you called a real estate agent yet? Even in Squirrel Hill there are homes that aren't all 80+ years old.... it's the trolling through page after page after page of old homes that gets to you. I'm a mid century ranch lover -- so I get what you're talking about. And there doesn't seem to be a way to search for what you want easily -- so call a real estate agent.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm not following, you want to move back but HATE DAMN near everything???!?!??!?
It's amazing how you somehow manage to convert not liking old houses or suburbs into "HATE DAMN near everything". I suggest you seek help.

Quote:
Where are you living at now, that you're keeping so secret? Pittsburgh is an Old City.....its not like the Sunbelt NEW NEW NEW everywhere....Alot of people find this charming...
You don't get around much, do you. There are are plenty of nice old northern cities. I'd move to Boston tomorrow if it weren't so expensive

Quote:
Look at living Downtown if you want brand spanking "New" it has a strong push to become more residental....why not jump on the wave now before it gets to big...
Geez, can't you read. Where did I ever say that I wanted to either 1) live down town or 2) brand spanking new." It's truly amazing that you are getting upset about stuff that you made up yourself. Not at what I said.

Quote:
Pittsburgh does have neighborhoods with all the Amenties such as you discribe with the "BIG MORE EXPENSIVE CITY" minus the subway part....but that can be overrated.

No Pittsburgh is not NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, or SF...and one shouldn't expect it to be...but as far as amenties Pittsburgh keeps up damn well compared with most cities.
Huh??? Where did I say anything about amenities. I just don't want to have to drive 3 miles to got to the supermarket. You are so bizarre that you are making things up just to have a reason to get angry.

And a subway cannot be overrated. It makes a massive difference in the ease of getting around. Just massive. I don't have to commute, but if I did, I wouldn't even consider Pgh for a second.

Quote:
If the last time you've been to the burgh No it doeswas "Many Many" years ago...No Doubt that your opinions are probably insanely outdated by now, this city has changed so much over the years it almost worth a trip just to update your perspective.
You must not get around much. My neighborhood has changed more in the last 8 years than Pgh has changed in the last 50.

BTW. I visit Pgh every year to see relatives. I know what is, and more often, isn't happening.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 AM

85 posts, read 105,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Edit: Oh, and I do understand the point about central air. We're fine with attic fans and window units, but I can see the appeal of central air, and it is indeed a challenge to retrofit it in a older house without ducts. In fact we've looked at it a couple times and always decided against doing the retrofit--part of that is because we are OK without it, but part is the expense and downsides of retrofitting.
Yeah, AC is wonderful for me. I take a headache prophylactic called topiramate, and that drug is extremely anticholinergic, and causes heat rashes and reactions as well. Heat also sets off the headaches, so AC is a win-win for me.

My dad got a super-old colonial house when I was 10 (like, much older than anything we are discussing in this thread) and had to have certain walls gutted to install the whole-house AC. It was a very involved project, as I remember. The home was so old that it was definitely not equipped for AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodius1

It's pretty difficult to come up with suggestions because your criteria are pretty exacting. Do you have any other feedback for our suggestions so far?

To re-cap, the city neighborhoods we suggested are:

-Shadyside
-Lawrenceville
-East Liberty
-North Side/North Shore
-South Side
-Summerset at Frick Park
-Downtown

Edited to add, and if you want to be on a subway line, we have a T, so you could try:

-Dormont
-Bethel Park
(Any others? Not too familiar with the suburbs myself.)

Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Have you called a real estate agent yet? Even in Squirrel Hill there are homes that aren't all 80+ years old.... it's the trolling through page after page after page of old homes that gets to you. I'm a mid century ranch lover -- so I get what you're talking about. And there doesn't seem to be a way to search for what you want easily -- so call a real estate agent.
I have. I've done 2 house hunting trips already.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
I have. I've done 2 house hunting trips already.
Have you tried using Zillow? If you can't find what you're looking for with a real estate agent and through online searches then it doesn't exist here.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 PM

296 posts, read 560,938 times
Isn't there new construction on some hilltop in Lincoln Place overlooking the Mon? Could make for a nice little walk down to fabulous West Homestead.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times
I didn't read all 5 pages so I'm sorry if someone suggested this before. You mentioned liking Squirrel Hill but not the old houses. Here are new homes in/near Squirrel Hill: Summerset at Frick Park

I don't think they're inexpensive, though. Really there aren't any new, cheap homes in the Pittsburgh metro (suburbs included). Those 2 words (new & cheap) don't seem to go together around here. It seems like the newer it is, the more expensive it is.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
It's amazing how you somehow manage to convert not liking old houses or suburbs into "HATE DAMN near everything". I suggest you seek help.
NO - I equate this with HATING DAMN NEAR EVERTHING!

Quote:
Can't find a suitable neighborhood
Quote:
I don't expect to find this level of living in Pgh, but I can't find anything even resembling a similar neighborhood in Pgh
Quote:
I was initially interested in Squirrel Hill, where we lived for year in the 90's, but the housing stock there is just too old. In fact, that's a big problem for most of the city. It's hard to find a house that isn't at least 80 years old without going to the medium to far suburbs. I'm not interested in a blue collar ethnic areas, which make up most of the city. Shadyside is too young and I'm way past that scene. There really seems no options in the city.

Quote:
I next looked at the near suburbs with some semblance of a real center. I see nothing to the east or west, except perhaps for Sewickley, which has a real town business area, but it only has only old houses, which are a bit expensive. I looked around North Hills, but it just didn't appeal.
Quote:
I next looked at the near, older and settled southern suburbs. Mr. Lebanon might have been my first pick in all of the area because it seems a reasonable tradeoff between city and burbs. But it is out of the question because of the property taxes, the huge increases projected over the next few years, and even more troubling, the arrogant attitude of government toward complaints about the high property taxes. Upper St. Clair is ok, at least it looks like a professional area with a top school system (although we have no children, selling a house will be easier) and seems to have sense of community pride. But it is a little too suburban
Now Unless I missed something - MY STATEMENT OF YOU HATING EVERYTHING WAS DEAD ON!

Last thing I need is help on is how to read!

Quote:
You don't get around much, do you. There are are plenty of nice old northern cities. I'd move to Boston tomorrow if it weren't so expensive
But they're old meaning the majority of the Housing stock is old...and a "New" detached home is damn near impossible to find these days even in Boston....

Pittsburgh has alot of the same housing as a Boston - except for Brownstone and those too are "OLD" as you described in you OP that you DIDNOT WANT...

I really dont think you know what you want, you come on here saying that you want to move to Pittsburgh but then Bash every neighborhood for the fact you'd have impossible demands to meet in almost every city not just Pittsburgh.

I'm very well travelled THANKS FOR ASKING....Beside Pittsburgh being my hometown...I've lived in NYC, Philly and DC and my job has taken me to various cities:

LA
London
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Atlanta
Miami
SF

Quote:
Geez, can't you read. Where did I ever say that I wanted to either 1) live down town or 2) brand spanking new." It's truly amazing that you are getting upset about stuff that you made up yourself. Not at what I said.
I read very well thanks....

1). I suggested Downtown because its the closest to meeting you "Impossible Demands" as other have suggested as well, guess the cant read either.....

2). You didnt say this????

Quote:
but the housing stock there is just too old. In fact, that's a big problem for most of the city. It's hard to find a house that isn't at least 80 years old without going to the medium to far suburbs
What's the opposite of "OLD"....Ding Ding Ding Ding - times up "NEW" and you've made it pretty clear that you dont want "OLD"...so tell me again what it was I "Made UP"????

Thanks for Playing but you LOSE!

Quote:
Huh??? Where did I say anything about amenities. I just don't want to have to drive 3 miles to got to the supermarket. You are so bizarre that you are making things up just to have a reason to get angry.
Quote:
I currently live in a much bigger more expensive city, in one of the city residential areas with shopping, major streets and the subway within a 10 minute walk.
In case you dont quite get it - These are Amenities. As someone living in a mysterious "Big Expensive City" this should be elementary to you.

Quote:
Dictionary.com

Amenities =

any feature that provides comfort, convenience, or pleasure
Dictionary.com - I suggest you bookmark it.

Quote:
And a subway cannot be overrated. It makes a massive difference in the ease of getting around. Just massive. I don't have to commute, but if I did, I wouldn't even consider Pgh for a second.
Please the hell it can't - Pittsburgh Busways do just as good a job as Subway....Subways are nice but are extremely costly to build nowadays..and in our current times, more cities are looking to BRT more so than building subways.

You claim that you come to Pittsburgh every year, so I'm going to guess you know what the Busways are.

Like I said Subways are nice, but they're no essential to a cities health and economy.

Quote:
You must not get around much. My neighborhood has changed more in the last 8 years than Pgh has changed in the last 50.

BTW. I visit Pgh every year to see relatives. I know what is, and more often, isn't happening.
Thanks for the confirmation...I always thought in the beginning this was just a TROLLING! Expedition....Now we have confirmation and I will waste no more of my time on you...

BTW - YOU STILL WONT TELL US WHAT THE "BIG EXPENSIVE" City it is that you claim to live in that provides everything Pittsburgh doesn't....I STILL WAITING ON THAT ONE!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
If you are just looking for post-WWII developments, have you looked at Stanton Heights? That neighborhood was mostly a golf course until the mid 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh