Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I agree, but I always thought there would be a Mellon Bank, Kaufmann's, and Westinghouse in this area, too.
Well, Kaufmann's was bought out many years before it was bought out again and the name finally dropped. Mellon at least still has their name in the company, and the Westinghouse name isn't going anywhere either. And they were all public companies having to answer to the shareholders. But yeah, I get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 28,118 times
I'm very familiar with PNC and don't know where anyone is getting that they require so many debt transactions a month or that they charge for a teller transaction. Sounds like one of those rumors you hear from a friend who got it from a friend who knows someone on the inside. Anyways, it all comes down to banking preference. If you travel a lot and need a wide ranging ATM network or like lots of amenities then the big boys will be better for you. If you plan to stay local and like the best interest rates CUs are for you.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times
I agree. I started out with free personal checking. That worked well so I added free business checking. I moved some of my money to Fifth Third but the online banking pales in comparision to PNC's model.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train03 View Post
I'm very familiar with PNC and don't know where anyone is getting that they require so many debt transactions a month or that they charge for a teller transaction. Sounds like one of those rumors you hear from a friend who got it from a friend who knows someone on the inside. Anyways, it all comes down to banking preference. If you travel a lot and need a wide ranging ATM network or like lots of amenities then the big boys will be better for you. If you plan to stay local and like the best interest rates CUs are for you.
The PNC Virtual Wallet account requires monthly electronic transactions. The other option for no/low minimum is the basic Free checking which charges for teller transactions (I had this account before).

You may have had an older account grandfathered under another plan, or you may have an account which requires a minimum balance (and doesn't have these stipulations).

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Not enough ATM machines around for one. You gotta drive far and wide to find one or else use another banks ATM and get charged that dreadful fee.

I don't know, I just ain't feelin' them. I was content when PNC announced that they were taking over ALL the National City branches, but then, when they came along and said they would be only taking over SOME and that this new bank, from BUFFALO, would be taking over others, I was like OH GOSH...just so happens MY branch was the one who First Niagra took over. I was HOPING it would be PNC...and I have been pissed about it every since...LOL

My biggest gripe is the lack ATM machines, though. I hardly ever carry cash, and I am always going to an ATM machine, when I really need money. Its like every community or mall I go in, you see ATM's from every bank but them...
Lol I see what you mean. PNC couldn't have kept all of the National City Branches though because PNC would have had too high of a market share in the area. I think they should have gave everyone at National City an option to go with PNC or First Niagara. I've been in the new arena and First Niagara is big sponsor for it and has their ATMs in the arena. But because of that now I'm SOL at pens games now that there's no longer Citizens Bank ATMs.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
isnt there a Citizens right up 5th Av from the Arena I think its at Stevenson.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
isnt there a Citizens right up 5th Av from the Arena I think its at Stevenson.
It's actually another block up, at Pride St. I would think there's one on the way from various parking spots, although not the case if you park in the arena lots.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM

12 posts, read 20,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I went into PNC and the guy told me about all kinds of stipulations.. you have to make XX amount of transactions a month on your check card, etc. I asked for a paper document listing all of these stipulations, minimums, fees, etc. and he said I could not have it until I signed up for an account.. what???
I'm currently at Citizens, and they sent a notice out about new fees/requirements to take effect Dec 5, 2010. The Free Checking will cost $4.95 a month, unless you have an av. daily balance of $1500, or make at least 5 payments from your account a month (includes ATM withdrawls, debit card payments, etc).

So I checked a few other banks and looked into PNC the most.
The Free Checking details online do not show any requirements https://www.pnc.com/webapp/sec/Solut.../free+checking
Their pdf for Service Charges and Fees also show no requirements
https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Req...c78ffc6d630ad7

I did see offers to get $100 added to your account, that did involve requirements (set up a Direct Deposit and some other things). Maybe this is what was being referred to in the original post?

Can anyone with PNC Free Checking confirm that there are no requirements or hidden fees?
I noticed that their "Banking Card" has a $10/year fee to be linked to a checking account. Their "Check Card" does not show any fee (I'm assuming these are different cards.

TD also looked good, thought after the first year, the Free Checking requires a $100 balance.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
PNC is the worst bank to deal with although they've become more user friendly over the years. Sour puss at Dollar Bank also. It isn't easy to choose a bank but in my experience smaller banks are best, not S&T. Allegheny Vally Bank has been trustworthy and friendly. They don't have many offices.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 AM

12 posts, read 20,973 times
"the worst"? this is when comparing them to every other bank? if so that's pretty bad

I'm not looking for any bells and whistles... just want to use the basic features for free (check card, ACH transfers, basic online banking), and be safe from hidden fees. Thank goodness for the new overdraft laws .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh