Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the Steel Mill Era, I'm almost finished reading a novel that takes place here in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, The Valley of Decision by Marcia Davenport.

Amazon.com: The Valley Of Decision (9780822958055): Marcia Davenport: Books

It was first published in 1942, and while the storytelling bears some scars of the moral conventions of that time, it is generally a satisfying read if you have any interest in Pittsburgh's steeltown past.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The G20 is long over. It may still be getting some publicity in Pittsburgh itself, but nowhere else that I know of.
The issue of Pittsburgh's G20 has been revisited and brought up this past month (was on TV news) by Toronto and the bill that Ottawa is getting for the Toronto G20 in June. The damage estimates are still not final but unfortunately they suffered much more damage compared to the Burgh's $50,000.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
As a little coda, check out this article about Cincy which discusses Pittsburgh:

http://urban-out.com/2010/10/11/cinc...next-boomtown/

Key line:

Quote:
And yet, few would disagree that the Pittsburgh of today is poised to become an a lead economic performer for years to come.
Again, at least in certain circles, that is now the conventional wisdom on Pittsburgh.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As a little coda, check out this article about Cincy which discusses Pittsburgh:

Cincinnati: America’s First (And Next) Boomtown « urbanOut

Key line:

Again, at least in certain circles, that is now the conventional wisdom on Pittsburgh.
I know this is off topic-but I hope Mayor Ravenstahl's recent trip to China proves fruitful with Westinghouse being present.I'm a little concerned d/t the recent hold on a proposed Nuclear PP project here in the states.

Also reading the article about Cincy makes me long for Cincy's famous Glier's Goetta-I feel like jumping in my car and driving to Cincinatti to get some!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 PM

781 posts, read 1,620,316 times
Babies in Pittsburgh don't know much about geography and politics.

I did a poll and the babies were unanimous when asked; Do you think the big people got off topic? Y
Followed by another unanimous ; Do you think the big people here need a snack or a nap? Both yes 100%

Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just yesterday, we were talking about taking trips at work. One of the docs, an educated person from Texas originally, said "I wish I were going on a trip". I said "I"m going to Pittsburgh soon", to which he replied, "Maybe I don't want to go on a trip after all". That's just one example, but the attitude towards Pittsburgh is still there. A few people, who have actually been there (not many of my co-workers; Pgh is not a vacation destination) say they were "pleasantly surprised", which is, of course, a backhanded compliment.
Speaking of which.

I occassinally post on a Travel Forum (whose name I shouldn't mention, as sometimes C-D is sensitive about that).

Anyways, I went to their US forum and posted that Pittsburgh was underrated, and why I thought so. Almost immediately another poster thought I was SPAMMING THE BOARD....then went to some of my other posts on other location forums and told everyone I was a troll and a spammer...and made a few 'you're better off in Pittsburgh than inquiring about this place' comments.

All with the underlying assumption that NO ONE in their right mind would be asking about or interested in Pittsburgh, PA.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Babies in Pittsburgh don't know much about geography and politics.

I did a poll and the babies were unanimous when asked; Do you think the big people got off topic? Y
Followed by another unanimous ; Do you think the big people here need a snack or a nap? Both yes 100%

Babies are always right,too. I'm always up for a snack AND a nap!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Speaking of which.

I occassinally post on a Travel Forum (whose name I shouldn't mention, as sometimes C-D is sensitive about that).

Anyways, I went to their US forum and posted that Pittsburgh was underrated, and why I thought so. Almost immediately another poster thought I was SPAMMING THE BOARD....then went to some of my other posts on other location forums and told everyone I was a troll and a spammer...and made a few 'you're better off in Pittsburgh than inquiring about this place' comments.

All with the underlying assumption that NO ONE in their right mind would be asking about or interested in Pittsburgh, PA.

I've noticed the visitors who have come to Pittsburgh and enjoyed it the most are almost always foreigners.The response you received on that US forum doesn't surprise me in the least.
I've had German friends and family who have come to visit and enjoyed the Carnegie Museums, they esp. love the Andy Warhol and the Pitts. Zoo. They appreciated the vast number of churches and Croatian artist Max Vanko's hauntingly beautiful frescos and the 5,000 Catholic relics at St. Anthony's (which is second largest collection in the world after the Vatican).
They had a good time at historical Kennywood Park riding the rides and being where George Washington did battle in 1755 during the French and Indian War. They were interested seeing the sites of the first Pro football game and World Series.
They also liked the vast number of bridges and the work of famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater.

These activities are not on the typical American's vacation agenda.Americans want to go to the beach, or to National Parks and mountains to camp, hike and bike.
The main cities urban vacationers go to are NYC, Chicago,San Francisco, New Orleans or maybe Las Vegas if you like to gamble.Even the city of Denver,Co. in itself, is not a city I would choose to spend an entire vacation ( even though I like the people there!) People go to Denver to go to the nearby mountains and mountain towns.But as great as it is, and I love going up in the Rockies with that fresh, clean air, I still prefer my lush woodlands here.

Hollywood actor Russel Crowe spent a length of time here last year filming. While here he biked over 500 miles in the Burgh, and stated that in his opinion Pittsburgh is one of the friendliest cities in America.He also stated that no one talks about the beauty of the architecture,the churches and steeples. He really liked the 'Burgh!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
Pittsburgh definitely reminds me of the cities I like visiting in Europe, which can also be very popular with European tourists, but tend to be more "off-the-beaten-path" for Americans.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,734 times
I work in the hospitality industry and meet thousands of people from all over the world. I rarely get negative feedback. In fact, the opposite is true. People are volunteering this info to me. When the weather is nice and you have a chance to go out and explore, Pittsburgh is a wonderful place. There is something here for everybody, be it sports, the arts, bar hopping, activities for children. It should be no suprise that a good place to live is also a good place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh