Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM

32,622 posts, read 77,712,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilym View Post
BTW, I'm a girl. I noticed someone called me a guy earlier.
What? You mean "Emily" ISN'T a dude's name? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM

16 posts, read 21,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
What? You mean "Emily" ISN'T a dude's name? LOL!
I know, right? Shocking hahaha. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake

Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 AM

408 posts, read 992,946 times
Quote:
I'm not into Shadyside.
I win!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,055,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I win!!!
Indeed . . . good call.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM

16 posts, read 21,094 times
haha yes good job! It's a really nice area, but i dont need a Coach store down the street. I noticed a lot of the shops were places i could find at the local mall. I love the little cafe's and bars in Lawrenceville. Plus, it seems up and coming and that excites me. I get why so many people would say shadyside, but it just seemed a little sterile for me.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
haha yes good job! It's a really nice area, but i dont need a Coach store down the street. I noticed a lot of the shops were places i could find at the local mall. I love the little cafe's and bars in Lawrenceville. Plus, it seems up and coming and that excites me. I get why so many people would say shadyside, but it just seemed a little sterile for me.
Lawrenceville is definitely more uniquely Pittsburgh in feel, and you are correct it is one of the most prominent "up and coming" areas in the City. Have fun!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

32,622 posts, read 77,712,896 times
Quote:
Yeah. Shadyside reminds me of Northern Virginia with its yuppies, poseurs, nouveau riche, and sterility, so I have no interest in living there either. I'm moving to Pittsburgh to get AWAY from that!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Shadyside isn't my personal favorite, but I think there is a bit of overstatement going on here. It has three different commercial areas, and while there are indeed more national chains than in most Pittsburgh neighborhood commercial areas, there are also lots of local places. Similarly it has its share of yuppies et al, but there are also plenty of other folks (and it is not like Lawrenceville is yuppie-free these days). And so on.

Again, I don't blame someone for preferring other neighborhoods, but I just want to make sure people don't get an unbalanced picture.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM

712 posts, read 1,974,172 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

After living in New York City for the majority of my 20s, I've decided to move home and give Pittsburgh a try as an adult. I grew up in the suburbs but would rather live in the city or a city-like environment. Suggestions? My friends that still live in the 'burgh are married and starting families. I'm 28 and single. Suggestions on where to live, hang out, etc... would be greatly appreciated. I'm nervous but excited! Thank you in advance
Rodney Dangerfield once said in the movie Back To School -

I have only one thing
to say to you today...
it's a jungle out there.
You gotta look out
for number one.
But don't step in number two.
And so,
to all you graduates...
as you go out into the world
my advice to you is...
don't go!
It's rough out there.
Move back with your parents.
Let them worry about it.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,911,193 times
Shadyside loses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh